The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Trans service, recommendations needed... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30843)

Michael Blue 01-12-2006 11:06 AM

Trans service, recommendations needed...

Hi!

My trans has been acting funny (go figure) and I'm going to flush it out and change the fluid and filter next week.

I was wondering what your recommendations are for fluid...I am planning on synthetic, unless there's a reason not to, but is there a weight or brand you guys prefer?

Thanks!

~Michael

Dza 01-12-2006 11:32 AM

From what I have learned on here and from my mechanic, flushing the fluid in the tranny is not the best idea. It stirs up the settled crud (technical term) and could potentially damage the tranny.

Of course, people have done it and had 0 problems so YMMV

Earthworm 01-12-2006 12:18 PM

Flushing can be good or bad. How many miles on the tranny? Has it been flushed before?

I would use synthetic fluid as they can normally handle higher temperatures better.

n00b on demand 01-12-2006 12:32 PM

Just drain and refill. If it is a high mileage tranny dont get it flushed.

Michael Blue 01-12-2006 12:55 PM

The trans was rebuilt 2 years ago and has much less than 10K on it.

It is getting warm (not bad enough for the light, but you can smell it) on long drives, and when warm, hesitates going into reverse.

From what I've read, this can be a clogged filter, or a clog elsewhere in the trans, and a flush may correct it.

Thoughts?

Earthworm 01-12-2006 01:01 PM

Do you know what was replaced with the rebuild? If it was flushed or cleaned with the rebuild then you should be safe to flush this tranny.

oab_au 01-12-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Blue
The trans was rebuilt 2 years ago and has much less than 10K on it.

It is getting warm (not bad enough for the light, but you can smell it) on long drives, and when warm, hesitates going into reverse.

From what I've read, this can be a clogged filter, or a clog elsewhere in the trans, and a flush may correct it.

Thoughts?

Hi Michael, hesitating going into reverse, is from low line pressure. This can be from a faulty pump gasket, but as it has been rebuilt, it should have the modified one.
So I would drop the pan, to check that the ATF pick-up screen is clear. What is the condition of the ATF, does it look degraded, brown,smell burnt?
When they rebuilt the trans, did they check that the cooler in the radiator is clear.

Harvey.;)

Michael Blue 01-12-2006 04:24 PM

I have no idea, it was rebuilt before I bought it.
I have no choice but to go with the assumption that they didn't know what they were working on and rebuilt it with off the shelf parts and backwoods theology, just like it were a Buick or anything else.

I'll check the pickup screen, filter, fluid, etc, but how do I check the cooler in the radiator?

THANKS!

oab_au 01-12-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

I have no idea, it was rebuilt before I bought it.
I have no choice but to go with the assumption that they didn't know what they were working on and rebuilt it with off the shelf parts and backwoods theology, just like it were a Buick or anything else.

I'll check the pickup screen, filter, fluid, etc, but how do I check the cooler in the radiator?

THANKS!

Pull the front under cover off, remove the two hoses that connect to the bottom of the radiator. I forget which is the in and out pipes, some will know.:confused: Blow air in the out connection, see that comes out the other connection (bits of lining?). Don't blow pressure in the in connector as it may cause it to block harder.
Harvey.;)

Michael Blue 01-12-2006 06:41 PM

Excellent!

Someone let me know which is the in and which is the out, please. :)

oab_au 01-12-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Excellent!

Someone let me know which is the in and which is the out, please. :)

Looks like the left hand side is the inlet to the cooler. You can be sure, if you disconnect both, see which one the oil comes out of when you turn the motor over.

Harvey.;)

Budfreak 01-12-2006 10:48 PM

The IN line will be the one coming off the tranny filter to the cooler.

Michael Blue 01-13-2006 09:31 AM

http://uplink.space.com/attachments/350729-MrBurns.gif

Ehhhxcehhlehhhnnt.

Fluid/filter recommendations? I'm going shopping today or tomorrow.

THANKS!

STORMINORMAN 01-15-2006 01:40 PM

Fluid, filter...

I use Chevron Dextron III when I can get it for $0.99/quart, Subaru's in line replacement filter kit gives you new lines, clips, etc., virtually anybody's (i.e. NAPA, etc.) transmission pan filter as far as I'm concerned.

Using the transmission itself to pump out 4-5 quarts at a time (as is described in previous DIY posts) after draining & cleaning the pan seems to avoid allmost all the risks associated with a machine "power flush". Remember that the cooler line in the radiator also has a screen that can plug: it is good to make sure that this line is flowing normally.

Good luck!:)