The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stop Lamp??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49742)

Promise4M 04-03-2009 02:27 PM

Stop Lamp???

I have had my car for a while now but only now has the Stop Lamp (!) light started coming up on my dash when i brake. What does this light mean and why did it only start coming on now??? :confused:

Francis 04-03-2009 02:38 PM

Re: Stop Lamp???

isnt it one of your brake light burnt ?

SVXdc 04-03-2009 02:52 PM

It means that the brake fluid level is low, which will happen when the pads wear down past half way (or if you've lost fluid due to a leak).

Added: Oops. Wrong warning lamp. Ignore this.

NiftySVX 04-03-2009 06:51 PM

"Stop Lamp" means one of the tail lights has excessive resistance in the circuit (usually a burnt out bulb filament) it only illuminates when the brake lights are on. A low fluid level would cause the (!) BRAKE light to illuminate.

LetItSnow 04-03-2009 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc (Post 595232)
It means that the brake fluid level is low...

That's an electrical impossibility. :(

svxcess 04-03-2009 10:10 PM

Its just a brake light that is dying... but not dead.

The easiest thing to do is buy 4 new brake light bulbs and replace them all at the same time. That way the amperage matches and the "stop lamp checker" (which controls that light on the instrument panel) will be happy.

The stop lamp checker uses the amperage difference between the trunk panel and the two body-mounted stop lights to determine if a bulb is bad. Very similar design to a GFCI outlet in your house.

The stop lamp checker works by separating the stop lamps into two circuits, each with two bulbs. The two center panel lights are one circuit and the two outside lights are the other.

The two circuits each go into a sensor and each current draw is measured. If it is not in balance (ie, one circuit has two bulbs, the other only has one working) the stop lamp on the dash triggers.

The manual tells you the only "fooled" instance. If one bulb from the center panel is burned out and one bulb on an outer light is burned out, the indicator will not come on.

It has a fail-safe so if all four bulbs are burned out (zero current flow) it triggers the light.

If you put higher wattage bulbs in the center panel but regular bulbs in the outer lights, it will trigger an indicator even though all four bulbs light.

If you have unmatched wattage bulbs, the difference in amperage can be enough to trigger the checker even if all four bulbs work.

Bulbs are dirt cheap so when I have one go out, I replace all four with the same.

kwren 04-03-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 595291)
That's an electrical impossibility. :(

But definitely a "fluid" possibility!:lol:

Keith:cool:

kwren 04-03-2009 11:22 PM

Additionally, the brake stop light sensor can be defective and often is.

SVXdc 04-04-2009 01:34 AM

Sorry, I misread the original post.

It's been a long time since I read the owners manual :).

I've never seen the Stop lamp in operation (I don't even recall seeing it when first turning on the ignition).

For that matter, I've never had any of my marker, turn, or brake bulbs burn out. I think the low-beam headlights are the only exterior bulbs I've had to replace (and I've had the car since new).

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 595300)
The stop lamp checker uses the amperage difference between the trunk panel and the two body-mounted stop lights to determine if a bulb is bad. Very similar design to a GFCI outlet in your house.

Well, either the wiring diagrams are wrong (I wouldn't be surprised), or they changed the circuit.

The diagrams I have (I just checked both 92 and 96) show all four brake light bulbs plus the center "high mount" wired in parallel, with one side tied to ground and the other going into (and getting the +12V from) the Stop lamp checker module. That would imply that the module looks at the total current draw, and turns on the "Stop" warning lamp when the current goes lower or higher than some range it thinks is normal.

The diagrams show the module connects via a 4-pin plug (+12V in from brake pedal switch, control output to Stop warning bulb, ground, and +12 out to brake lights).

NiftySVX 04-04-2009 08:39 AM

I've always found the easiest way to explain it is a fault of excessive resistance, even though it's not technically correct. I've seen problems with these on some of the older Toyotas, and we would do exactly what was suggested, just replace all the bulbs and usually it would fix it, even if one didn't appear to be out. But I have also had to clean and replace bulb sockets to get the light to go off. I don't remember anyone having such headaches with one on a SVX though, but I wouldn't doubt it as they get older.

And for the record.I've never seen mine come on either, and I've had my car since 1999.

kwren 04-04-2009 09:28 AM

not sure but I think the stop light and brake fluid light are 2 different animals. I just woke up :lol:

One way to check the brake lights would get someone to push the petal and walk around the car and see if they are working.

My stop lamp module has not worked for a year. Someone said maybe moisture.. It is supposed to be in the trunk:confused: Maybe later, I just started waking up:lol:

LetItSnow 04-04-2009 09:35 AM

^^ That's the way it's described elsewhere in the forum. I've had mine fail and heal twice in two years. :cool:

SVXdc 04-04-2009 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 595357)
not sure but I think the stop light and brake fluid light are 2 different animals.

OK, OK, I already said I was wrong. :o Quit rubbing it in, will ya? :D

Quote:

[The stop lamp module] is supposed to be in the trunk
Yes. It's on the right side, just off the front end of the rear washer fluid reservoir. In this picture, you can see the harness poking up from behind the body/frame (I've pulled back the trunk's side cover panel):
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/7610/...sherres.th.jpg
(click for larger image)
Mine has a harness with four wires, just like the wiring diagrams say. I'll verify what each wire does a little later.

svxcess 04-04-2009 12:54 PM

The design and mounting is such that if water gets into this area the checker relay acts as a reservoir to collect and hold water. This was my problem on my 92 pearlie. My suby dealer disconnected it up at the front passenger's kick panel (B99 connector).

To avoid this problem from ever occuring again, he one in my polo has been shrink-wrapped in clear plastic by my local printer and totally protected from moisture.

Relay replacement is a simple 1 plug/1 screw operation. Part No. 88081PA000 Cost of the part is about $33.00

kwren 04-04-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXdc (Post 595379)
OK, OK, I already said I was wrong. :o Quit rubbing it in, will ya? :D

Sorry... I was still asleep and don't even remember the incident!
:lol: