The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Shift lock switch (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43812)

subru92svx 03-16-2008 08:13 PM

Shift lock switch

Anyone have a spare shift lock switch so I can use it as a power mode switch? If so just let me know how much. Thanks

CorSVXette 03-18-2008 07:58 AM

Yea. Me too:D. I will even buy it from the dealer if someone can find the part number for me. I tried on subaruparts.com and could not find it. Anybody have any luck?

svxcess 03-18-2008 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subru92svx (Post 535308)
Anyone have a spare shift lock switch so I can use it as a power mode switch?

Do you mean the shift lock pushbutton switch (which is a release, located at the front end of the console piece in front of the gear selector, replaced on later models with a removable plate)

or more likely the power door lock switch (which goes on and off) added on the left side of the shifter trim plate on later models?

The power door lock switch is PN 83031PA000 and is $31.78 list and $24.22 subaruparts.com

Part "I" in the diagram (83331)

http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2A/i830-1.gif

CorSVXette 03-18-2008 09:19 AM

Not the power door lock switch. I want to do the Power Mode install on the shifter so I want to use the same button as the one for the Shift lock.

svxcess 03-18-2008 09:56 AM

So you want to replicate the German system, putting the power mode switch where the "manual" button is in the photo?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxcess/1571.jpg

The button itself should be PN 35127PA000 list price of $10.33 or $7.87 at subaruparts.com. See part #28 in the diagram below

http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i351-B.gif

or sign into subaruparts .com and go HERE for the related parts (spring, etc.)

CorSVXette 03-18-2008 10:17 AM

Now thats what I was talking about:D Thanks:D. I guess I would need all the parts that go with that button, correct?

svxcess 03-18-2008 10:54 AM

The shift lock is not an ON-OFF switch, but rather a push-to-release mechanism to unlock the gear selector. You push the button down and hold it to release the selector lever, move the lever and release the button, and the spring returns it to the normal position.

I guess you could mount a SPST pushbutton switch under the trim piece and attach the button to it to it to resemble the image above.

svxistentialist 03-18-2008 12:36 PM

Or maybe you could buy the actual jdm switch itself from somebody in England who was breaking a Japanese SVX?

:)

CorSVXette 03-18-2008 12:51 PM

What does the actual JDM switch look like? Is it the same as the Shift Lock Button? Can I get it off a web site somewhere? Does anyone know of a Subaru web site that I can get the JDM parts from?

svxcess 03-18-2008 01:14 PM

I looked in my Japanese Alcyone SVX brochure and it looks the same as the shift lock button on our cars. It is the same as on the German console I posted earlier.

svxistentialist 03-18-2008 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 535600)
What does the actual JDM switch look like? Is it the same as the Shift Lock Button? Can I get it off a web site somewhere? Does anyone know of a Subaru web site that I can get the JDM parts from?

Paul, although the upper part of the Power button by default is the exact size and shape as the shift lock button, I think John is trying to advise you to look for another way, because the bottom part of the switch needs to be this push to engage, push to cancel unit. Mating the two halves would be quite problematical, although nothing is impossible.

Mychailo is able to get Japanese stuff. Send him a PM. If you need to quote a jdm chassis number to get the switch I can supply you with that.

Joe

tiv0 03-18-2008 04:19 PM

just wondering here

am i the only one, or is this for everyone...i always have to push the "shift lock" button in before i can put the car in any other gear than park.

i think ive heard that i should just be able to push the brake in and then push in the shifter button (not the shift lock button) to select a gear, but idk about all that

svxistentialist 03-18-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 535663)
just wondering here

am i the only one, or is this for everyone...i always have to push the "shift lock" button in before i can put the car in any other gear than park.

i think ive heard that i should just be able to push the brake in and then push in the shifter button (not the shift lock button) to select a gear, but idk about all that

You have a problem there, that's not the way it is meant to be.

You should be able to move the lever into any position by holding in the button on the top of the selector when the ignition is ON and your foot is on the brake.

Joe

CorSVXette 03-19-2008 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 535634)
Paul, although the upper part of the Power button by default is the exact size and shape as the shift lock button, I think John is trying to advise you to look for another way, because the bottom part of the switch needs to be this push to engage, push to cancel unit. Mating the two halves would be quite problematical, although nothing is impossible.

Mychailo is able to get Japanese stuff. Send him a PM. If you need to quote a jdm chassis number to get the switch I can supply you with that.

Joe

Yea I know about Mychailo but he is not answering any of my PM's. If the JDM models had this "Power Mode" switch then the button should be a "push to engage, push to cancel" button, correct? Then all I would need it the JDM button, correct?

tiv0 03-23-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 535681)
You have a problem there, that's not the way it is meant to be.

You should be able to move the lever into any position by holding in the button on the top of the selector when the ignition is ON and your foot is on the brake.

Joe

yeah, thats what i thought

i took it in to get it fixed (not at a dealership), but the problem persists
any idea on how this could be fixed?