The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   valve cover gasket (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23339)

svxboy94 12-20-2004 08:59 PM

valve cover gasket

alright my cars leaking oil like crazy, i need a new valve cover gasket what do i need to look for and what exactly do i need to buy if someone could help me out send me a link or something its my left gasket as if u were standing in front if the car looking at the engine, it leaks oil like crazy, i need to knwo where to buy one and quick so i can get it changed, and do i have to pull or tilt the motor to change it, if so im gettin a professional to do it. i knwo i need the gasket i looked on subaru parts.com and it said left rocker cover gasket(aka valve cover) would this be all i needed to order was that gasket or do i need other things to. please please let me know im keeping oil in the car and doing all i can do keep from having to replace the engine, i dont really feel like doing that i bought the car for 1100 and ive put nearly 3000 into itfixing it. and its gettin ready for a make over(paint job) please let me know what i need im seriously desparate

James Scott 12-20-2004 09:19 PM

valve cover gasket

I think there are 2 to 3 rubber gaskets on each side.....I bot 'em, but didn't replace them....they're just hard to get at....scratched hands, etc. ....there is a thread about how to get the VC out once unbolted..........I did Beav trick fix....didn't do much at first ....but somehow seemed to tighten VC over time ???

He recommends trying to tighten.....by unloosening one VC bolt at a time...then replacing with o-ring between head of bolt and "washer"....this puts a little more pressure on VC to squeeze gaskets with the added thickness of o-ring between bolt head and washer.....YOURS MAY BE TOO FAR GONE....BUT THIS IS EASY TO DO...JUST A FEW O-rings.....you might want to try

GOOD LUCK! :D

huck369 12-21-2004 05:21 AM

Re: valve cover gasket

Quote:

Originally posted by svxboy94
its my left gasket as if u were standing in front if the car looking at the engine, it leaks oil like crazy, i need to knwo where to buy one and quick so i can get it changed, and do i have to pull or tilt the motor to change it, [/B]
If it's the left side when you're standing in front of the car looking at the motor, then it's the "right" side Valve cover, as they are designated like you were sitting in the drivers seat looking at them.

The right one is by the air filter box, and is the easiest one to change.

Here is what you'll need to change both of them.

Description-amount-where I got them-part number-price per

Washer Rocker -24- Liberty Subaru- 13271AA051- $2.00
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13294AA030- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13294AA020- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13272AA031- $15.71
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13293AA020- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13293AA011- $5.96
Gasket Rocker - 1- Liberty Subaru- 13270AA031- $15.31

It's not to bad to change them, you DO NOT have to tilt the motor, but the driver's side is a bit of a PITA, but do-able
I did mine, it took me a couple hours.