The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Where did the Network Go ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2139)

LarryIII 12-05-2001 05:12 PM

Where did the Network Go ?

Hi Gang,

What happened to the Network this afternoon? It was offline for a while.
Aredub even stopped in at Yahoo.

Aredub & Eddycat on Yahoo - truth is stanger than fiction !!
:D

Larry III :cool:

Chris 12-05-2001 05:34 PM

Sorry

Well, its like this.
I didnt go to bed until around 7:30am this morning MST. At roughly 7:45am the Subaru-svx.net router was DOS (denial of service) attacked. This isnt normally too much of a problem, IF I know about it. This is not a self correcting problem. If the attack lasts too long the router will cut off its connection to the outside world. It will not re-establish the connection automatically. Even if the attack is on-going, I can make a call to a friend (and another administrator here) to change the cuiruit ID and strip out certain traffic. Again, I have to know this is happening. Now an asset we have is a site monitoring service provided by qwk.net. This is the paging service that let me know while sleeping that the subaru-svx.net server went offline earlier this year when it ate a power supply. Unfortunately, things have changed and I no longer had the money for a pager and around August the service for my pager went offline. Now the only way that I know of server outages or failures is email messages from the monitoring service. This does me no good while sleeping.

So, until I get a job and can afford an alphanumeric pager or a cellular phone with pager service, email outage reporting is my only option. I could have it page someone like sith or Aredubjay, but they would have to have a way to find and gete a hold of me to let me know that problems exsist.

I am sorry for the outage and I will see if I can come up with alternative ideas.

immortal_suby 12-05-2001 06:15 PM

Quote:

I didnt go to bed until around 7:30am this morning MST
Wow - I used to do that way back when I was in college. Ok - that was only a couple years ago. Now I feel like a married old fart who's lucky to make it til midnight.

Anyway - no need to apologize for the downtime. This place rocks and we all owe that to you.

svxistentialist 12-05-2001 06:18 PM

Network outage

Thanks Chris

Good work identifying this and keeping the server safe.

Why don't you price the cost of reasonable monitoring, and post it up? The formal Network, once established, should be able to cover this as an on-going expense. No need for you to take all the strain and remain awake and available 24/7.

Anybody else see a problem with this?

Joe

calmone 12-05-2001 06:32 PM

Wow - I used to do that way back when I was in college. Ok - that was only a couple years ago. Now I feel like a married old fart who's lucky to make it til midnight.

you can make it till midnight???!!!! i nod off about 4 in the afternoon and get up two days later.

Ron Mummert 12-05-2001 06:34 PM

And if we STILL can't afford a remote notification device, I'm sure we could all pony up enough bucks for a case of Jolt Cola.
Get some sleep now! Ron.

Chris 12-06-2001 04:22 AM

We have "free" notification, just no means of transport. The previous method was a page on an alphanumeric pager. When the pager broke, I was borrowing a spare cell phone from qwk.net and got the pages on it. The monitoring service is still in place, I just dont have a phone or pager anymore. So, the only means of notification now is email. Needless to say, its not very effective. I got up at 3pm and rubbed the sleep from my eyes, sat down at the computer and COULDNT check my mail. When I realized I couldnt ping the router, I knew the problem exisited. I logged into it, fixed it, checked my mail and got two dozen outage reports!! Oh well. Like I said.... Will solve this problem when I get a job again. I have three applications going in today for federal jobs in my area. Lets hope that one pans out.

LarryIII 12-06-2001 06:32 AM

Cris,

Don't appologize, You're doing a great job. I don't understand about 70% of what you said. But don't worry it's us computerese dolts that make the world go 'round.

Besides, I was just pulling Aredub's leg a bit.

Now get some sleep and then get a life away from the computers.

Larry III :cool:

svxter 12-06-2001 08:11 AM

Good Luck!

Chris

Sure hope one of your job aps pans out. Best wishes, everyone's pulling for you.

Aredubjay 12-06-2001 09:21 AM

Re: Good Luck!

Quote:

Originally posted by svxter
Chris

Sure hope one of your job aps pans out. Best wishes, everyone's pulling for you.

Ditto! Best of luck!!!

Chris 12-08-2001 12:19 AM

UPDATE:

This is just an update. To possibly fix poblems with people getting timmed out on the IRC chat, and to protect against more down time, the router was taken offline and updated. So, just to let everyne know, the down time during this period was a spur of the moment un-scheduled down time fix. Let me know if you still get timmed out on the chat channel.

svxistentialist 12-08-2001 01:23 AM

Keep Smilin.

Get some sleep before you go on your interviews. Best to be bright and chirpy.

Best of luck man, one of them is bound to come up.

Joe:) :)

Chris 12-08-2001 05:40 AM

Re: Keep Smilin.

Quote:

Originally posted by svxistentialist
Get some sleep before you go on your interviews. Best to be bright and chirpy.

Best of luck man, one of them is bound to come up.

Joe:) :)

Sleep? Whats that?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

1994SubaruSVX 12-11-2001 11:20 AM

i was out last weekend.....

until 1am. i think that is the latest i have stayed out in like three years. the wife gets tired really quickly, especially if we are drinking.

Aredubjay 12-11-2001 12:39 PM

Re: i was out last weekend.....

Quote:

Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
until 1am. i think that is the latest i have stayed out in like three years. the wife gets tired really quickly, especially if we are drinking.
Went to the company Christmas Party Saturday night. Got home around 2:30. Was a little . . . well, wasn't feeling any pain. Wife went to bed. I logged on the "SVX World Network." Spent, what I thought, was an hour or so responding to posts. Went to bed at 5 a.m.! Caramba! I gotta break this addiction! :D