The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX Sighting - In My Driveway (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3428)

phoenix96 04-01-2002 01:28 PM

SVX Sighting - In My Driveway

Yes, it's here. My quarter year quest has ended :D
I am now the owner of a 1992 Black (well it will be after it's washed lol) SVX LS-L.

Anyways, I've only found a couple minor problems with the car so far. The first is the seatbelt. It's got the automatic shoulder belts. The passenger side seems to work fine, but if I turn off the car before opening the door on the driver side, the belt doesn't retract, and I have to turn the key to "On" before it will.

The other thing is that the hood doesn't stay open. I remember reading a couple months ago about the hydraulics going bad, but I was unable to find that post. Is there an easy fix for this?

phoenix96 04-01-2002 01:33 PM

Oh, and another question I had is more out of curiosity. The VIN # on my car ends with 107999. What does that mean as far as its production number? It was manufactured in 12/91.

SHISVX 04-01-2002 02:06 PM

glad the wait is finially over. i wish you luck with your car. i can't help ya with the problems, but i just wanted to say congrats!

Kelli

Aredubjay 04-01-2002 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by phoenix96
Oh, and another question I had is more out of curiosity. The VIN # on my car ends with 107999. What does that mean as far as its production number? It was manufactured in 12/91.
Congratulations, Andrew! Go to Lwin's (Seraph's) personal locker for a VIN decoder chart.

There is no real "easy" fix for the hood struts, other than replacing them, or, using a broom handle as a prop. There are some little "clicky" things available at some autoparts and JC Whitney stores that serve as a prop for the struts (JC Whitney #13ZZ4688T)

The seat belt problem could be caused by a sensor. Try cleaning the tracks, and spritzing just a little WD 40 in the area where the belt comes to a rest. There's a sensor that sometimes acts up. If that doesn't work, take the trim piece off the window and manually clean the area. That might help.

Again, Andrew, Congratulations.

Mr. Pockets 04-01-2002 02:56 PM

Congrats, Andrew - I wish you many thousands of happy miles in your SVX.

Green1995SVX 04-01-2002 03:23 PM

Re: SVX Sighting - In My Driveway

Quote:

Originally posted by phoenix96
Yes, it's here. My quarter year quest has ended :D
I am now the owner of a 1992 Black (well it will be after it's washed lol) SVX LS-L.

Anyways, I've only found a couple minor problems with the car so far. The first is the seatbelt. It's got the automatic shoulder belts. The passenger side seems to work fine, but if I turn off the car before opening the door on the driver side, the belt doesn't retract, and I have to turn the key to "On" before it will.

The other thing is that the hood doesn't stay open. I remember reading a couple months ago about the hydraulics going bad, but I was unable to find that post. Is there an easy fix for this?

BIGGGG congrats!!! :)

-Mike

wawazat?? 04-01-2002 04:22 PM

Welcome Andrew!

Mine was also built 12/91 and last 6 of VIN are 108085, just a few away. Hope you enjoy your new (to you) car!

Todd

phoenix96 04-01-2002 06:22 PM

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. I'm definitely excited, since this is the first car that is really mine :D

I jiggled the seat belt around a little bit and it started moving by itself, so I'll probably try Randy's suggestion. I did notice one other problem, the power antenna doesn't go down all the way. It extends fine and the radio reception is great, but when it retracts there are 5 inches left sticking out. I tried pushing it a bit to help it along but it feels stuck.

I have to say, although I've only driven the car 10 miles and no faster than 55mph, it is very smooth shifting. In my Outback I can feel a pretty noticeable thud at each shift, but in the SVX I didn't feel anything. It seemed to accelerate fine and, boy, is it hard to keep it under 40 ;)
The steering has a very different feel from the Outback, though. Much more power-assisted.

Ron Mummert 04-01-2002 10:07 PM

I did notice one other problem, the power antenna doesn't go down all the way. It extends fine and the radio reception is great, but when it retracts there are 5 inches left sticking out. I tried pushing it a bit to help it along but it feels stuck.

Squirt some WD40 on it & see what happens. Cured mine. Best of luck with everything else.

Ron.

Aredubjay 04-02-2002 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I did notice one other problem, the power antenna doesn't go down all the way. It extends fine and the radio reception is great, but when it retracts there are 5 inches left sticking out. I tried pushing it a bit to help it along but it feels stuck.

Squirt some WD40 on it & see what happens. Cured mine. Best of luck with everything else.

Ron.

Extend the mast fully, then, take a rag and cup it around the mast to shield the car from overspray, then, spray the mast down with WD-40. Wipe it down until you've gotten all the black gunk off the mast joints. After that, I put a couple of drops of 3-in-1 on each of the mast joints, lower the antenna and wipe off excess around the top button. That should keep it going for some time. If you don't have 3-in-1, just keep the rag cupped around the mast to shield from overspray and spray each of the joints with WD-40, lower it and wipe off the excess.