The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   5 Speed swap - can't pass smog - OBDII (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27730)

subezealot 08-06-2005 12:46 AM

5 Speed swap - can't pass smog - OBDII

Hi Everyone,
Ever since my conversion on my 96, the car rocks, but the check engine light keeps coming on, (I've pulled the TCU BTW). Anyway, Arizona isn't going to pass the car unless I can figure this out. This is the code I'm getting: P1702TCM

I'm frankly worried that I've customized the car beyond what smog will allow and that I'll end up un-registered, or having to register to one of those 'address services' in a county that doesn't require smog :eek:

thundering02 08-06-2005 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subezealot
Hi Everyone,
Ever since my conversion on my 96, the car rocks, but the check engine light keeps coming on, (I've pulled the TCU BTW). Anyway, Arizona isn't going to pass the car unless I can figure this out. This is the code I'm getting: P1702TCM

I'm frankly worried that I've customized the car beyond what smog will allow and that I'll end up un-registered, or having to register to one of those 'address services' in a county that doesn't require smog :eek:

So long as all the bits (catalytic converter muffler exhaust etc.) are there then I belive there was a waiver program that you could sign up for... But it would be better to "correct"the car

TomsSVX 08-06-2005 11:48 AM

no car with a Check Engine light on will pass emissions. Try and find what the light is for and then fix that problem. It could be as simple as a speed sensor or something stupid. Just make that light shut off and you should be good to go

Tom

svxcess 08-06-2005 12:27 PM

According to the FSM 96 Supplement, the code P1702TCM is the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis Input Signal Malfunction"

It says to check the harness between the ECM (electronic control module) and the TCM transmission control module)

Complete instructions are in the 96 Supplement Manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.

So I guess your O2 sensors, cats, etc. are functioning normally

(Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hard wire an inline switch to the CE light to be able to turn it off at times like these?)

subezealot 08-06-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
According to the FSM 96 Supplement, the code P1702TCM is the "Automatic Transmission Diagnosis Input Signal Malfunction"

It says to check the harness between the ECM (electronic control module) and the TCM transmission control module)

Complete instructions are in the 96 SuppleMent manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.

So I guess your O2 sensors, cats, etc. are functioning normally

(Wouldn't it be nice to be able to hard wire an inline switch to the CE light to be able to turn it off at times like these?)

Yeah, the sensors/cats etc are fine. I'm guessing the open circuit could cause this, however it was still giving this code when the TCU WAS CONNECTED, which is why I disconnected it. I imagine the TCU was pissed it didn't have a transmission to speak with. I wonder if its possible to get around with some technical workarounds. I don't have a supplement manual, but the reference is much appreciated. I wonder if I could get a dealer or mechanic to work with me on this. Probably a shop specializing in electrical stuff if I could get my hands on the manual and go over it with them. After having a total of 16K into the car after tranny and purchse of the vehicle itself, I'd like to be able to keep it on the road!

svxcess 08-06-2005 06:14 PM

Maybe someone here on the boards has the supplement AND access to a scanner. If you scan these pages, it will show each connector, which pins to check and the voltages you should have.

The simplified diagram for this circuit shows one wire connecting the ECM (B59 connector, pin 80) directly to the TCM (B68 connector, pin 11)

Beav 08-06-2005 07:48 PM

It may be expecting more than a simple voltage value, it may want to hear network chatter.

Disconnecting the CEL won't work, they actually plug into the OBDll port and check for codes.

TomsSVX 08-06-2005 09:05 PM

yup

Tom

subezealot 08-07-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
Complete instructions are in the 96 Supplement Manual, OBDII section 2-7b, pages 362-363. It shows you what pins on the connector to check and what the voltages should be. I have the feeling that without the TCM connected, you are reading an open circuit, rather than a short.[/SIZE]

Any idea where I can purchase a copy of the 96 Supplement Manual? Maybe directly through Sube parts? This is a tech manual correct? Not like the owners manual? This is great info, thanks for the help.

svxcess 08-07-2005 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subezealot
Any idea where I can purchase a copy of the 96 Supplement Manual? Maybe directly through Sube parts? This is a tech manual correct? Not like the owners manual? This is great info, thanks for the help.

It is definitely a technical manual, same as the original SVX factory service manuals. Supplements were added to address changes, corrections, modifications and improvements since the manuals came out in 1992. They address such things as the dual airbag system, OBDII operating system, etc.

The PN for the 1996 Service Manual Supplement is MSA5T9605A It should be still available from your Suby dealer. Subaruparts.com has it for $30.20 plus shipping. Link is HERE

svxcess 08-08-2005 08:20 PM

There is also the 96 supplement available here for $28.94

http://www.bmibay.net/SVXparts.html