The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I was going to buy an SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27279)

SVXtra 07-11-2005 09:18 PM

I was going to buy an SVX

When I thought about how much it costs to maintain and repair a late model SVX I said no thanks. Considering the cost of repairing a less than robust transmission and the replacement costs of a factory windshield are astronomical. So decided I'm going to buy a used Mk VIII EVO next year. There faster,they handle better,parts are easier to acquire and with a little luck I might even have some warranty remaining on the car.... :)

Green1995SVX 07-11-2005 09:25 PM

I'm glad you did your research! It's a shame when we see people who buy an svx because it looks "cool" and goes fast, but dont figure in the maintenance expense of a premium car. It's what's poluting the market with unfortunate poorly maintained SVXen. Best of luck to you with the Evo!

Mike

SVXtra 07-11-2005 09:41 PM

I must admit

I did a great deal of my research here at the subaru-svx.net I would often come here and sometimes read for hours over the course of several months trying to make a decision. I have found this wed site to be one of the most articulate and informative I have visited during my extensive research on this subject. I wish to thank all the members here for there thoughtful and informative posts. Now I can only wonder how many 56 year old retired obstetricians are cruising around Northern Virginia in EVO's.... ;)

RojoRocket 07-11-2005 10:23 PM

What's up Doc?

SVXtra,
I understand the results of your research may have led you to the "dark side" but one must consider all the unmeasureable factors of SVX ownership as well. The pleasure I get every time I gaze upon the beauty of my increasingly rare, thanks to the aforementioned lack of care by the unprepared/unwise owners, beauty overrides the "fastar" factor that seems to rule the decisions of many. You must have missed the underlying love most of us have for our cars. Every mile I spend touring, smooth and quiet, reminds me why I'm here on this board. Reading/asking to learn the tricks of maintaining my sultry beauty without breaking the bank, and understanding that it might end any moment, ruined by some inattentive moron, or other act of fate. Cars cost $$ to keep on the road, and my SVX, driven daily, and traveled in by choice, may be one of the few opportunities this "near retirement previous boy-racer" may have to drive such a thing of beauty without talking to a mortgage broker. I hope you find other mature, helpful owners on the EVO-net, but can't help but wonder how much "spam" you'll have to wade through to find them. Make mine SVX! :)

Glenn

Sorry to beer-ramble, here in my hotel room missing home, but not my SVX down in the lot :D . I'm certain other more articulate folks might make a more convincing case, as well as make you wonder about the regret factor down the road. ;)

ensteele 07-11-2005 11:40 PM

Well said Glenn. I think I could be considered a lover of the SVX and I know that I enjoy it as much or more than any other high performance car I have driven. It is not the speed, the handling that makes me feel the pride when I am in my SVX, but the extreme lack of knowledge of what the heck it is. :) :) All of the questions that I get at the gas pump, and the amazement of people when they find out it is a Subaru! :eek: The SVX is not just a car, but a way of life for most of us. If we didn't have to look for parts, and wonder when we were going to have the next problem, we would probably drive them more and ware them out! :D :D :D

Kiteless 07-12-2005 12:51 AM

I got my SVX because it goes fast and it looks cool. :p

benebob 07-12-2005 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXtra
So decided I'm going to buy a used Mk VIII EVO next year. There faster,they handle better,parts are easier to acquire and with a little luck I might even have some warranty remaining on the car.... :)

Might want to check out the EVO reliablity. From what I've heard they have a very much less than stellar record. Personally, I wouldn't buy a used performance orianted car like this so early in its life. You know the person who owned it definately abused it and wants to move on.

shotgunslade 07-12-2005 06:22 AM

Unreliable SVX

I think the unreliability of the SVX has been seriously overhyped. My wife's cars over the past few years have included an Audi 5000s, which needed a new transmission at 56,000 miles, a Nissan Maxima, which had a transmission rebuild at 60,000 miles and a replacement at 90,000 miles, and a Mazda Millenia S, which required a transmission rebuild at 105,000 miles. The Audi was a total mess in terms of repairs, we sold it at 65,000 miles after replacing several steering racks, power steering pumps, an AC compressor, a radiator, an engine computer, a transmission computer, several window regulators, and a sunroof operator. Other than the transmission the the Nissan was pretty good. The Maza was also pretty good, but, when we sold it at 115,000 miles, it was burning oil, had oil leaks that were too expensive to fix, and had a starter that wouldn't engage in cold weather (unfixable after a starter replacement and several attempted repairs), and was generally loose and sloppy. My daily driver before I entered SVX land was a Porsche 911 (11 years), I spent a lot of money on repairs for it, (clutch replacement), had to be towed several times (a little water in the gas leads to fuel injection system corrosion that can only be cured by replacement of the entire fuel injection system; liquid lock due to wide open stuck injectors is an interesting phenomenon), but still it was an absolute ball to drive around.

I am now on my second SVX. I took my 92 from 75,000 miles to 120,000 miles, then bought a 94 with 74,000. The 92 transmission was getting a little iffy, but a Smallcar shift kit seemed to shore it up pretty well. Replaced one rear wheel bearing. My 94 now has 83,000, and I have spent a fair amount of money on mods, but maintenance has been nil. When I look at the cost of these same mods for a BMW or a Porsche, they would cost 3 or 4 times as much. An engine chip for one of these cars costs the better part of $1000, compared with $219 for the Ecutune Stage 1. Ben's drilled and slotted rotors and SS brake lines cost me about $400, while the same stuff of a Porsche is well over $1000.

My final analysis is that this is a pretty damn reliable car, that is a ball to drive (can't wait to get my GC/Koni setup on the car), and is a real bargain to mod up. Just think, I can put in a 5 speed for the same amount of money I spent to replace the automatic in the Mazda. :D :D :D

lhopp77 07-12-2005 08:27 AM

Cruising

I took a trip yesterday--only 300 miles round trip--all interstate. I set the cruise control somewhere north of 85 and just relaxed. Sigh-------------such a wonderful drive. That is what this car is made for--not dashing from light to light. Have one of them with just under 200,000 miles. I doubt you will ever see an EVO around that long.

Lee

red95svx 07-12-2005 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXtra
When I thought about how much it costs to maintain and repair a late model SVX I said no thanks. Considering the cost of repairing a less than robust transmission and the replacement costs of a factory windshield are astronomical.

My 95 w/ 160,000 miles has most of its original parts, including the transmission. Even my seals and gaskets are holding up well. I'm still on my original valve cover gaskets and head gaskets.

As for expensive glass: that's what glass insurance is for:) I've had two windshields and one rear window glass installed for $0. In fact, my glass insurance is so cheap that with those 3 repairs I'll be ahead of the game for years!

I'll take an Italian-crafted limited production car over an EVO anyday. Street racing is for kids. I'd rather ride in style.

Have fun!

Dave

red95svx 07-12-2005 09:59 AM

sssssssssssssssssssssss

red95svx 07-12-2005 10:02 AM

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

red95svx 07-12-2005 10:02 AM

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!

Sorry, just having some fun!

Dave

Manarius 07-12-2005 11:52 AM

While you may not choose SVX for it's problems (as far as I know the only two that it's most prone to are Wheel Bearings and Transmissions), I would still stay with a Subaru. My Legacy has just over 140k miles and looks and drives like it's brand new. All subarus I see in the paper and online almost always have over 100k miles and while they may not look quite like brand new, they still drive like it. Subarus are well known for their reliability and their easyness to maintain and keep like new. In the time we've had my Legacy, it has never let us sit anywhere. It even sat in an airport parking lot for 2 weeks and started up the very first time when we got back.

My '91, minus the rust around the wheelwells and dulled out hood and bumpers, is clean and shiny everywhere else (then again, I am a car freak). The SVX's can be kept just as well. You can even get away without replacing the tranny as long as you don't drive like a maniac. However, I'm in agreement with most people here: It takes money to maintain a car. However, if kept properly from the start, or even mid-life, the car can last forever and the costs are very little.

Just FYI, the only thing that's ever been replaced on my car is a rear-passenger side bearing and the exhaust system. Otherwise, all the major parts are stock.

dcarrb 07-12-2005 12:20 PM

My car had the familiar SVX woes when I bought it (failing wheel bearings, cracked radiator, bum antenna), but since those repairs, in 23,000+ miles of everyday driving, only the crankshaft pulley has let me down. (The battery died a few weeks ago and I tried my best to blame it on the alternator, but hey, it was just a dead battery.) Given the car's quality and style, and in view of the price of a comparable, late-or-new model, I feel I'm driving a bargain. I've coaxed two Subarus (and a '68 Ford Mustang) beyond the 200,000 mark and have no reason to believe my SVX won't get there, too.

dcb