The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What cleaning products do you use??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20700)

Phoenix_3737 08-15-2004 08:52 PM

What cleaning products do you use???

post what products you use to clean interior exterior and to wax your care, i use products from the Blue Coral family wich includes rain-x, and black magic i used the turtle wax carpet cleaner and the bug and tar remover and it works greate, i was also wondering what you use to clean your "Escaine" or suede in the car i read the how to about using warm water with woolite, and was going to try that but thought id come here to see if there are any other good solutions. or other products to try out

Aredubjay 08-15-2004 09:03 PM

Re: What cleaning products do you use???

Quote:

Originally posted by Phoenix_3737
post what products you use to clean interior exterior and to wax your care, i use products from the Blue Coral family wich includes rain-x, and black magic i used the turtle wax carpet cleaner and the bug and tar remover and it works greate, i was also wondering what you use to clean your "Escaine" or suede in the car i read the how to about using warm water with woolite, and was going to try that but thought id come here to see if there are any other good solutions. or other products to try out

I use the Maguiar's family of products on the exterior. Warm water and woolite is what's recommended by Subaru for the ecsaine, howver some (including myself) have used regular suede cleaner (available at shoe stores or, in the shoe department of department stores) on the ecsaine, also. On the leather, believe it or not, I've found the Armor All leather cleaner to work quite nicely. I use only PH balanced window cleaner on the inside, due to my tinted windows. Another product I use on the exterior, for the black trim, is "Back to Black" by mothers. It's a savior on my old underwindow black bits. I use Novus plastic products on the head and tail lights.

Shadow248 08-15-2004 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Another product I use on the exterior, for the black trim, is "Back to Black" by mothers.
I have this product also, it does work great on black plastic and rubber on the outside of the car, however, when it rains, I get messy streaks on my paint where the water washed the stuff down the car. Any idea how I can avoid this?

ensteele 08-15-2004 11:14 PM

After putting the Back to Black on, do you wipe it off and buff it? That is what I do, and don't have the problem that you mention. :)

Alycone 08-15-2004 11:21 PM

Shadow248 - Claret(ish)?

ish? :confused:

Aredubjay 08-16-2004 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248

I have this product also, it does work great on black plastic and rubber on the outside of the car, however, when it rains, I get messy streaks on my paint where the water washed the stuff down the car. Any idea how I can avoid this?

Same as Earl. I apply, then wipe it down and buff. I haven't had any problems and both my cars are Pearl.

svxcess 08-16-2004 10:41 AM

On both of my SVXs I have used Zymol for both the exterior wax and their leather cleaner and conditioner. I follow up with a spray- on wax, Final Detail (available on QVC) or the Meguiars NXT booster wax. I have recently begun using the Eagle 1 nanowax and am quite impressed.

For my tires and all my rubber trim and weatherstripping, the ony thing I will ever use is Super Blue dressing from Kar-Kraft. It makes the rubber a deep, rich, black with just a hint of shine. (I hate the patent leather rubber look) You can usually get it from an automotive paint/polishes supplier. Runs about $35.00 a gallon.

Her is the website: http://www.karkraftsystems.com/Products.htm
Go to dressings and scroll down to B-29 Super Blue

Chiketkd 08-16-2004 12:13 PM

Mother's Waxes & Amoroil.

-Chike

NapaBavarian 08-16-2004 12:37 PM

This one works fairly well, but be careful on sensitive materials :D

Cleaner

Mr. Pockets 08-16-2004 04:49 PM

I've been using Meguiar's products for everything. I'm sure an a la carte selection is probably the best, but I've been happy enough with all of the Meguiar's products that I've tried to keep using them.

The exceptions are Mr Clean car wash wipes (handy for a light washing without the bucket and soap) and Windex wipes (handy for the glass, obviously).

HighwayUFO 08-17-2004 12:50 AM

I have always like the results from using Meguiars polishes and waxes on the outside. On the interior, I use Black Magic Detail spray and Armor All window cleaner. The old Hoover shampooer is my new best friend for fighting stains. I use Blue Magic plastic polish for the headlights and Blue Magic metal polish for my exhaust tips. I use Castrol Wheel Cleaner and Black Magic Tire Wet.

Lastly I use a LOT of elbow grease. Usually takes me about 3 hours to clean my car and I usually clean it every 3 or 4 days.

Keith

NapaBavarian 08-17-2004 01:24 AM

Comercially I used to use Finesse it (sp?) by 3M, not sure if they sell it in small volumes, 3M is pretty much the staple og the pro's, but it's hard to find and takes a highspeed buffer for the best results, easy to damage paint like that.

n00b on demand 08-18-2004 07:25 AM

I have heard alot of great stuff about maguires and mothers car care products. Ive switched to both of those for cleaning my SVX.

dcarrb 08-18-2004 07:33 AM

Re: Re: What cleaning products do you use???

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
I use only PH balanced window cleaner on the inside, due to my tinted windows.
Didn't know there was such a thing. Brand?

dcb

Earthworm 08-18-2004 09:59 AM

I believe it's the ammonia in the cleaners that causes problems with window tint.