The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Newbie Questions... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45209)

ws6talian 06-19-2008 08:31 AM

Newbie Questions...

Hey to all you svx lovers. I really want to get an svx, and i can get my hands on one, but i have a few questions first.

1- Is it more expensive to maintain an svx, than an average subaru?

2- What are major problems that go wrong with the svx?

3- Is 107K miles a lot for the price of $4995?

4- How many stares do you get as you are driving?

5- Last but not least, How is the performance? (Handling, Hp, AWD)?

Ownbot 06-19-2008 09:00 AM

Re: Newbie Questions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ws6talian (Post 552785)
Hey to all you svx lovers. I really want to get an svx, and i can get my hands on one, but i have a few questions first.

1- Is it more expensive to maintain an svx, than an average subaru?

2- What are major problems that go wrong with the svx?

3- Is 107K miles a lot for the price of $4995?

4- How many stares do you get as you are driving?

5- Last but not least, How is the performance? (Handling, Hp, AWD)?

1. Yes
2. Tranny, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, engine seals
3. Depends what kind of shape its in, but if it's in pretty good shape I would say 5000 is reasonable for 107k.
4. Lots...we get that WTF? look
5. Handling is supurb, 0-60 is not that great but it's pimp tight on the top end. The FWD out preforms the AWD by just a hair, its lighter.

Just my 2cents

SilverSpear 06-19-2008 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ownbot (Post 552791)
1. Yes
2. Tranny, wheel bearings, brakes, rotors, engine seals
3. Depends what kind of shape its in, but if it's in pretty good shape and year. I would say 5000 is reasonable for 107k.
4. Lots...we get that WTF & JMJ :D? look
5. Handling is supurb, 0-60 is not that great but it's pimp tight on the top end. The FWD out preforms the AWD by just a hair, its lighter.

Just my 2cents

Hmmm, minor adjustments :D

It's Just Eric 06-19-2008 10:46 AM

if the car is in perfect operating condition,and has been well kept, the price is good. Im going to say that an svx is just as costly to maintain as any other 16 year old subaru, if you can get one that HAS been maintained properly up to this point. if this car happens to be one of those, jump on it. It will last you quite a long time

performance wise, the acceleration is up to par or slightly better than most modern mom-mobils, and the handeling is great. The suspension is set up perfectly for a long cruise down some twisty bumpy roads.

svx_commuter 06-19-2008 11:03 AM

1- Is it more expensive to maintain an svx, than an average subaru? Parts cost more BUT the body of the SVX is well protected from salt and rust as long as it has been washed off every spring. I think the rust proofing that was done makes it worthwhile.

2- What are major problems that go wrong with the svx? Transmission, wheel bearings some head gaskets BUT my transmission has been my SVX since I got it with 90k. It's got 336k now.:) Exhaust system could be rusting away

3- Is 107K miles a lot for the price of $4995? Tough question.... year? condition? color? Do you want to drive it or save it for show?

4- How many stares do you get as you are driving? Not many that I see as I am mostly watching the road and not other people.

5- Last but not least, How is the performance? (Handling, Hp, AWD)?[/QUOTE] The SVX is a highway car not meant to be driven under 60mph. The AWD is faster than the FWD. Easy to check take it tothe track, do a AWD run and then put in the FWD fuse and take another run. It is my opinion the FWD is tuned lower than the AWD since all the torque goes thru the front wheels. This gives it a torque steer problem at high horsepower. I get about 27mpg.

I do most of the work myself and get parts from a slavage yard to keep the cost down.