The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What have you had to replace/repair on your engine? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14588)

Phast SVX 11-21-2003 08:42 PM

how to freshen a 44k mile engine

Im looking for reccamendations on how tofreshen up and engine that has 44k miles on it out of a 1992 car. ITs been sitting for years, cant really tell you how many but from the low milage i would say 3 or more. So far my lists goes as such, please add to it!I was unsure if the timing belt would need to be changed, as its only got 44k but does it corrode or just wear from use?
thanks

list:
1. Cam Seals
2. Crank Seal
3. plugs(which will be best for nitrous???)
4. head gaskets(or is this a waste of money at this point)
5. timing belt(or not)

well let me know what all you experts are thinking
phil

Seraph 11-21-2003 09:20 PM

If the engine is out and if you have the $ go and redo all the seals, check your pump and such. Get everything over with now.

Phast SVX 11-21-2003 09:49 PM

id rather not spend 250 on seals, but im more looking for the ones that could have dried up and corroded.

Phast SVX 11-21-2003 09:50 PM

got another i forgot

Let me kind of redo this, i want people to add waht seals/basics they have to replace or redo so that i can try to tackle of what seems to be the SVX's weaknesses, if you follow me. So maybe just add something to the list if youve had to drop cash on it, engine related! thanks
phil

list:
1. Cam Seals
2. Crank Seal
5. timing belt(or not)
6.oil pan gasket

Landshark 11-22-2003 04:44 AM

on my last car the factory schedule was 6 years/60k for belts and water pump (but most did the timing belt at 4-5 years/45k because it was an interference engine.) i'd say if the belts are more than 5 years old replace them - they DO deteriorate with age, and with the engine out of the car it will be an easy job. :)

Phast SVX 11-22-2003 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
on my last car the factory schedule was 6 years/60k for belts and water pump (but most did the timing belt at 4-5 years/45k because it was an interference engine.) i'd say if the belts are more than 5 years old replace them - they DO deteriorate with age, and with the engine out of the car it will be an easy job. :)
i think i may end up getting the entire gasket kit and timing belt as well. I dont know if i could get around to doing every one, but then i would atlest have them. Ehh, there goes my life for a while :)
phil

immortal_suby 11-22-2003 11:00 AM

Re: got another i forgot

Quote:

Originally posted by Phast SVX
Let me kind of redo this, i want people to add waht seals/basics they have to replace or redo so that i can try to tackle of what seems to be the SVX's weaknesses, if you follow me. So maybe just add something to the list if youve had to drop cash on it, engine related! thanks
phil

list:
1. Cam Seals
2. Crank Seal
5. timing belt(or not)
6.oil pan gasket
7. Valve cover gaskets
8. Intake manifold gaskets (maybe)
9. Vacuum hoses under intake manifold