The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Road Muffler Meets SVX Muffler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12919)

svx_commuter 09-02-2003 12:30 PM

Road Muffler Meets SVX Muffler

I ran over someones muffler on the way to work. Now I have an exhaust leak. :(

Kerven Subaru 09-02-2003 02:37 PM

That's pretty ironic.

Mike.

CigarJohnny 09-02-2003 04:56 PM

yeah it is :rolleyes:

I have one too but not from another muffler.

oab_au 09-02-2003 04:57 PM

Re: Road Muffler Meets SVX Muffler

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
I ran over someones muffler on the way to work. Now I have an exhaust leak. :(
John, you have a way of getting the exhausts, to meet the road.
Hows the head gaskets. :D

Harvey.;)

svx_commuter 09-03-2003 04:48 AM

Well Harvey, I HOPE the head gaskets are fine. I got the SVX up on jack stands last night and I can hear the leak in around the single CAT somewhere but I have not seen it yet. I can't tell if it's a hole in the CAT or a leaking gasket pipe joint. Most likely under the bottom heat shield on the CAT.

Oh if the SVX was only 2" higher.:rolleyes: :D It would clear ground debris and not handle well. :)

svx_commuter 09-04-2003 05:08 AM

Well I found the leak. The front pipe for the left side (Driver side) CAT is broken by the flange to the rear CAT. The heat shield covers the break but when starting up cold with rags stuffed in the exhaust, condensate came out of the crack. :(

Trevor 09-04-2003 10:15 PM

Broken Pipe

John,

It is lucky you did not run over a cat. :D

Trevor. :confused: :)

svx_commuter 09-06-2003 01:52 PM

Well I got the pipe out and it is rusted. Itis almost rusted through where the crack is. Right next to the clamp for the heat shields.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So now what??????? It costs $358 for the entire front CAT assy with all the shields and I don't see a price for just the pipe without those shields. I could reuse the shields if I could get a new pipe.

What are the options? I think I should also replace the right front CAT as well.

Hey.... I thought this SVX had a stainless exhaust.:mad: It is just plain old carbon steel from what I see.

Porter 09-06-2003 02:16 PM

Sounds like an excellent opportunity to migrate to mandrel bent stainless, in the stock sizing. :D I've been considering eliminating my front cats, is that something that might be feasible, or do you have outstanding factors that would make that inadvisable?

svx_commuter 09-07-2003 06:23 AM

Well I do not want to pollute (Joe? our CAT's pollute anyway? Right) and I have t get through inspection and I want to drive my car soon and it's in the gravel driveway on jack stands with no front pipes.

Wher would I get a custom bent stainless exhaust? Will it still have the heat shields?

svx_commuter 09-11-2003 11:54 AM

UPDATE :D

I got the pipe fixed for $35 dollars. :)

And and AND the exhaust is stainless. :D

Not the highest chrome content so it rusts but still much better than plain old carbon steel. That why it lasted eleven years.

Archie, the man at Myers Muffler and Speed Shop says that I should take off the heat shields, wire brush the pipe and paint it with 1200 deg paint. He says this will help it last longer. So I plan to paint and insulate and reshield. I like the heat shields.

:)