The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   moonroof removel (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25187)

Htownsvx 03-23-2005 11:32 AM

moonroof removel

i was just wounder if anyone has removed the moonroof before and if you have any pointers. i took a look at it today and im think that i have to take the inside top peace off to remove the unit. witch im sure is just as fun as removing the rearspeakers

Aredubjay 03-23-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htownsvx
i was just wounder if anyone has removed the moonroof before and if you have any pointers. i took a look at it today and im think that i have to take the inside top peace off to remove the unit. witch im sure is just as fun as removing the rearspeakers

What are you looking at removing -- the motor or the panel itself? Removing the panel is relatively simple. Open the roof half way, then, just pop the fasteners on the inside cloth panel by pulling them down, then, slide the panel forward (you'll see a small bracket at the back of the panel that will necessitate your sliding it forward). That'll open access to the screws that attach the moonroof panel to the frame. If you need further help, beyond what I've outlined here, email me at trspit80@aol.com and I'll check my manuals for particulars.

svxfiles 03-23-2005 01:04 PM

Power your moonroof back a couple of inches, carefully pry down on the fabric roof panel, at the clips.
There are 6 clips. Measuring from the front of the panel, the first row of 3 clips are 2" back, the outside ones are 3.5" in from the sides, the middle one in the center.
the second row of 3, are 6" back at the sides, and 3.5" in from the sides and the center one is 6.5" back, and in line with the front clip.
Then just pull it forward to the front of the car.

Htownsvx 03-23-2005 06:34 PM

well im try to remove the hole unit i just got a new (used) one and i wont to take the old one out it has bad hail damage to it. so i remove the panle for the roof and i can remove the hole unit from there

CigarJohnny 03-23-2005 06:55 PM

I'd love to swap out the steel panel for the glass one out of an Impreza but with no inner shade panel to slide out and block the light on those too hot summer days, I hesitate to make the conversion. :(

Johnny

Beav 03-23-2005 09:34 PM

Remove the coat hooks, grab handle, sun visors, switches and lamps. Remove the pillar trim, front and rear on both sides. Remove the flexible moulding around the sunroof opening - easier if you remove the sunroof panel first. Remove the headliner from the car. Unplug the sunroof motor and unbolt the four mounting nuts that secure the entire unit to the roof. Don't drop it on your head.

ThetaReactor 03-23-2005 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigarJohnny
I'd love to swap out the steel panel for the glass one out of an Impreza but with no inner shade panel to slide out and block the light on those too hot summer days, I hesitate to make the conversion. :(

Johnny

Just gotta convince someone to make electrochromic film for all the glass on the SVX. Flip a switch and the cockpit fades to black... :D

gsodonis 03-25-2005 06:47 AM

sunroof

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htownsvx

The SVX has a sunroof, not a moonroof.
Sunroof = metal panel that must be opened in order to see the sun (or moon).
Moonroof = glass panel that need not be opened in order to see the moon (or sun).

A friend of mine has the new 2005 Vette with the removable 'glass' roof panel. It's not made of glass but probably Lexan. The tint is a dark blue that lets in enough light that the interior feeld bigger, but is dark enough that you can look directly at the sun on a cloudless day without burning your retinas. A panel like that would be really cool on our cars, but the development costs would make it unfeasible.

Maybe Danny can get this done for us In Lebanon by some of his buddies?

Rotorflyr 03-25-2005 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsodonis
Maybe Danny can get this done for us In Lebanon by some of his buddies?

:p :p :p :p :p :p