The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   help with damaged hub :( (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57961)

zaueugen 08-03-2011 10:41 AM

help with damaged hub :(

the hub assembly is damaged, i went to put in a new bearing and the mechanic said i need a new hub assembly because the old one is damaged and will ruin the new bearing if he puts it in.. where could i find a good condition hub assembly?

92snowmachine 08-03-2011 01:59 PM

Re: help with damaged hub :(

don't know if you want to deal with shipping but superrupair near denver has been good to me with used svx parts.
http://www.superrupair.com/

Green1995SVX 08-03-2011 09:15 PM

This does happen. On my 95, I had to replace both of the rear hubs and bearings. The subaru dealer got me for like $1500. I was stupid back then.

benebob 08-05-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 683217)
This does happen. On my 95, I had to replace both of the rear hubs and bearings. The subaru dealer got me for like $1500. I was stupid back then.

But wasn't that from the use of a BFH to r&r the bearings which had been done at their shop a year before?:D

zaueugen 08-05-2011 01:10 PM

i called the superuparts place and they gave 75 for the whole hub assembly, and now im waiting for a call back with the shipping price :(
the dealer sells em for 200..
hope the part from superu is in good condition like they said and doesnt break on me..

92snowmachine 08-05-2011 02:19 PM

from my experience if they say it's good then it is, also they will probably just send you the whole knuckle with the hub and bearing already inside. that's usually how they send them to us locally, if you ask them to separate it from the knuckle it would likely be cheaper to ship.

zaueugen 08-08-2011 08:35 AM

ok fixed the hub problem ! :)

but of course there are more problems- i did the wheel balance at a local

mechanic because the steering wheel would shake "somewhat".....

when he was balancing the wheels he noticed that once of the tires was deformed (i have aftermarket rims) so i had a set of 4 brand new tires and swapped them in. Now after the new tires and the "balance" was done, the car shakes even more violently after I pass 55mph...

should i go to redo the balance at a better shop perhaps pep boys or firestone? or is there another factor contributing to the shaking?

icingdeath88 08-08-2011 10:39 AM

Any chance one of the rims is bent? It could also be a bad axle causing the symptoms. Typically with a messed up axle, the vibration will get worse with load, while with a tire/wheel/hub, etc it will only change with speed and not load. Could possibly be a rotor too I guess. A bad wheel bearing usually is more of a loud roaring noise than vibration, but I guess if it were really really bad you might be able to feel it. Driveshafts also can vibrate if the joints or carrier bearing is bad.

If you think it's a wheel, you can move it around to see if the vibration moves with it.

zaueugen 08-08-2011 07:49 PM

i thought it could be that because the mechanic told me that the rim is bent when he did the rotation, any chance of fixing the rim at a shop so i wont have to by a new one?

92 SVX 08-08-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zaueugen (Post 683574)
i thought it could be that because the mechanic told me that the rim is bent when he did the rotation, any chance of fixing the rim at a shop so i wont have to by a new one?

If the guy doing the balancing is good he can balance out a bent rim, if its not severely bent.

You can get bent rims fixed, try a few local wielding shops many of them can do the job.
If its fixable it could cost up to $90-100 I would think.