The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Old Hood Struts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38694)

svxcess 04-27-2007 01:35 PM

Old Hood Struts Wanted

Does anyone out there have a bad set of hood struts? I want to do a replacement aftermarket assembly and need the bottom brackets to cut off of the old struts. I don't want to ruin my color-matched originals.

If anyone has the stud bolt with the ball end that attaches to the top of the strut let me know as well. Just post or send a PM

Thanks as always.

TomsSVX 04-27-2007 01:38 PM

John I still got the set I picked up at Reading.... $400 and they are yours:p

Tom

svxcess 04-27-2007 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
John I still got the set I picked up at Reading.... $400 and they are yours:p

Tom

But they are the wrong color :eek:

TomsSVX 04-27-2007 01:48 PM

Just let me know how u want me to send them and they are on their way

Tom

svxcess 04-27-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
Just let me know how u want me to send them and they are on their way

Tom

I'll send you a PM with the address. Does the worn-out shafts have the balls to go with it? :p

LetItSnow 04-27-2007 03:54 PM

Wonderin'... What's wrong with the ones you have?

svxcess 04-27-2007 04:00 PM

I'm going to transplant them to my son's pearlie.

I will be doing the aftermarket strut mod. My new hood struts are already painted polo green and clearcoated. Just need the brackets...

An sv-xcessive mind never rests :p

LetItSnow 04-27-2007 05:23 PM

I just found a source for what may be some more appropriate AND more affordable struts, as well as the ball studs, if need be.

We could use to get some failed stockers in circulation, though - both hood struts and trunk struts, or at least the brackets, because the ends will be necessary for a one-time conversion. If anyone has any... please PM.

The 120-pounders from the hood How-To are (as some of you found out at Reading) stronger than they need to be.
EDIT: A single 120-pound strut holds the hood up nicely, but it drops pretty well down low, which is fine. I'll try a pair of 90-pound struts (the next size down, followed by 60).

Much Dremellage in the basement is producing results for the trunk!

Details to follow...

EDIT: I'll compile all of this somewhere more useful, but I'll fill this space for now. I just ordered a pair of 90 lb. struts for the front, and (after measuring the rear strut I removed) a pair of 80 lb. (!) struts for the back. The 80 lbs seems high until you hear this - the measurement I took was 50 lbs. It's worth a crack. This, along with some experimental ball studs, and the experiment continues...

ensteele 04-27-2007 06:44 PM

I will check to see if I have any worn out ones. :)

svxcess 04-27-2007 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow
...I just ordered a pair of 90 lb. struts for the fronts

Do you have the part number for the 90 lb. struts?. I may get a set of those as well, color match them and see which ones I like better...

LetItSnow 04-28-2007 09:17 AM

I ordered them online, so no NAPA P/N... They'll be here next week, and I'll test 'em out right away, so you can paint the right ones the first time. :D

My trunk brackets on the right side are sawed off and ready to go!

svxcess 05-17-2007 09:56 AM

Still looking for a set of worn-out hood struts (mainly for the mounting brackets. Anyone have them let me know.

momzsvx 05-17-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
Still looking for a set of worn-out hood struts (mainly for the mounting brackets. Anyone have them let me know.

I just sent you a pm. :cool:

SVXyGirl 05-17-2007 09:17 PM

I think I still have the old ones from the Claret lying around somewhere. Let me know if you're still looking for some.