The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   WTB : Powersteering Pump and Tensioner Pully (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33727)

GreenMarine 06-17-2006 03:15 PM

WTB : Powersteering Pump and Tensioner Pully

Howdy all... I have been chewing up belts left and right lately... I have come to the conclusion that it is either the Tensioner or the Powersteering pump that is causing me these issues... So in an effort to erase all doubt, I am just going to replace both....

Does anyone have a New (or close to new) Powersteering pump and the belt tensioner (on the same belt as the PS Pump....)... Please PM me if you have either, or both of these...

huck369 06-18-2006 11:15 AM

Chris,
I have a power steering pump off a 95 L you can have for $40 if you want it....but I used the belt tensioner on FrankenWedge...

Earthworm 06-19-2006 11:27 AM

Have you tried spinning the pulleys yet to see if any of the bearings are shot?

GreenMarine 06-19-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
Have you tried spinning the pulleys yet to see if any of the bearings are shot?

I took the belt off a while ago and tried spinning them... Couldn't tell what was "Normal" and what wasn't... That is why I just want to replace everything and eliminate the variables.... I simply don't have time to "eff" with the car while I am in school and these little things are really starting to piss me off... I'm just gonna start replacing everything that isn't in top notch operating order....

GreenMarine 06-19-2006 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369
Chris,
I have a power steering pump off a 95 L you can have for $40 if you want it....but I used the belt tensioner on FrankenWedge...

Cool Huck.. I'll definitly let ya know... I don't have the internet at my apartment at the moment but should be back online by the end of the week.. I'm gonna try to find a tensioner and do everything at the same time...

Earthworm 06-19-2006 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
I took the belt off a while ago and tried spinning them... Couldn't tell what was "Normal" and what wasn't...

Normal = quiet.

I'd hate to find that after all that the problem remains. It could be that the belt is slipping on your crank pulley.

GreenMarine 06-19-2006 06:45 PM

Slipping on the crank pully??... Didn't think that was possible...

huck369 06-19-2006 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX
Slipping on the crank pully??... Didn't think that was possible...

It's possiable....the crank pulley could be seperating, as it's a fairly common problem as they get older, the rubber isolation ring in the pulley fails, allowing the inner section to turn while the outer section slips....

Speedklix 06-19-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

It's possiable....the crank pulley could be seperating, as it's a fairly common problem as they get older, the rubber isolation ring in the pulley fails, allowing the inner section to turn while the outer section slips....

Yup, infact it is hard to tell it is until it starts diggin into your belt cover :mad:. Maybe a rubber strap wrench around it would help you see if it is turning. The outer pulley should turn before the the inner can turn the crank. Mine did. I'd still check the idler pulley while the center bolt is tightened.

If you are having a hard time hearing touch a screw driver to the bolt, and put your ear on the handle. You'll know if it is bad. If memory serves correct, you can't do this to the ps. But maybe try it on the res anyway.

Not trying to talk you out of just replacing em, but like EW, I'd hate to see you waste the $$.

Earthworm 06-20-2006 10:11 AM

I can guarantee you his crank pulley is NOT separating :D

Speedklix 06-20-2006 10:45 AM

"Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully (1.2lbs)"
:o :o :D :D

huck369 06-20-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix
"Perrin Lightweight Crank Pully (1.2lbs)"
:o :o :D :D

I guess I should read the mods before I reply huh?.....
so the pulley is NOT the problem...:)

GreenMarine 06-21-2006 02:24 PM

Quote:

I guess I should read the mods before I reply huh?.....
so the pulley is NOT the problem...:)

Hahaha :D.... Yep, My crank pully should not have a problem of seperating :)

GreenMarine 06-29-2006 01:53 PM

SOmething that I noticed today.... The belt seems to get looser slightly everynow and then.... I can tighten it and it will be fine... then about a week later (depending on the amount of driving I do) it is back to squealing again....

Thoughts??

This would lead most to believe that it is the tensioner right??

Earthworm 06-29-2006 02:41 PM

When you adjust the tensioner are you tightening the locking nut on the tensioner pulley after adjusting?