The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Transmission Drain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61596)

simboglide 04-18-2013 10:18 PM

Transmission Drain

Been reading past couple hours on the best way(per se) to drain and refill... most opinions are drain fill, drain fill, drain fill...I read where someone had the idea of basically pouring 8 or so quarts in a bucket, taking loose the tranny line to the radiator, running a hose into the bucket, starting the car and letting the pump suck the ATF from the bucket to completely fill the transmission and letting it drain from the removed fill plug.When you get "clean" fluid coming out the drain. quickly install plug while someone kills the engine. Now...here's my thought. After all that, get a CLEAN drain pan, , remove plug let it drain ,, remove pan, replace filter, clean any sludge, install new filter and install pan.

simboglide 04-18-2013 10:22 PM

Re: Transmission Drain

Oh, and use the clean ATF that you just drained in the bucket to refill it. Seems a great way to get the TC filled.

simboglide 04-19-2013 10:53 AM

Actually, I wont even pull the drain plug. I'll let it cycle throught the radiator line i disconnected,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thoughts? Anyone tried this?

dcarrb 04-19-2013 11:35 AM

No expert here, but all the angst about getting every last drop of old fluid out of the transmission seems needless unless the stuff is burnt to the color of coffee or otherwise contaminated.

dcb

theflystyle 04-19-2013 12:38 PM

my biggest hesitation with doing the cooler lines is the fact i need a large amount of fluid $$$

simboglide 04-20-2013 07:26 PM

What's the fill capacity from empty..8 qts?

oab_au 04-20-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 722891)
Been reading past couple hours on the best way(per se) to drain and refill... most opinions are drain fill, drain fill, drain fill...I read where someone had the idea of basically pouring 8 or so quarts in a bucket, taking loose the tranny line to the radiator, running a hose into the bucket, starting the car and letting the pump suck the ATF from the bucket to completely fill the transmission and letting it drain from the removed fill plug.When you get "clean" fluid coming out the drain. quickly install plug while someone kills the engine. Now...here's my thought. After all that, get a CLEAN drain pan, , remove plug let it drain ,, remove pan, replace filter, clean any sludge, install new filter and install pan.

The pump won't suck the oil into the trans. The pipe goes to lube the trans.

Harvey.

simboglide 04-20-2013 09:42 PM

Soooooo.....the pump in the transmission doesn't push or suck the fluid up to the radiator and back again?

oab_au 04-21-2013 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 722953)
Soooooo.....the pump in the transmission doesn't push or suck the fluid up to the radiator and back again?

Yes and no. The pump pumps the oil from the torque converter out to the cooler, then back to the gearbox to lube the gears and bearings, it doesn't suck it back again.
Break the loop and it will just piss out.

Harvey.

simboglide 04-25-2013 08:21 PM

Almost ready to start the transmission fluid refill(Saturday) 8 qts Valv. maxlife dex/merc.. 1 bottle RED Lubegard , and I have Seafoam Trans Tune , to run tomorrow and Saturday morning to "de-varnish" Any thoughts on the Seafoam before i dump it in?

EdWindows 04-25-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 723259)
Almost ready to start the transmission fluid refill(Saturday) 8 qts Valv. maxlife dex/merc.. 1 bottle RED Lubegard , and I have Seafoam Trans Tune , to run tomorrow and Saturday morning to "de-varnish" Any thoughts on the Seafoam before i dump it in?

Seafoam is kinda harsh, so I would suggest putting in the Seafoam first, driving it for about 50 or so miles, then flushing it with the new fluids.
Basically, don't leave the Seafoam in your transmission indefinitely. ;)

Huskymaniac 04-26-2013 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 723259)

Don't use the seafom. It is too harsh and it is redundant and it will compromise the Lubegard product's ability to condition the seals, which will need it.

simboglide 04-26-2013 06:19 AM

The thought was , put it in today,drain and refill with Lubegard tomorrow.Of course. Don't know how complete of a drain I'm going to get tomorrow though.

Huskymaniac 04-26-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simboglide (Post 723277)
The thought was , put it in today,drain and refill with Lubegard tomorrow.Of course. Don't know how complete of a drain I'm going to get tomorrow though.

Don't do it. Don't use any harsh detergents in a tranny where the seals may have been coated with grunge for an extended period! Even with the Lubegard you may experience some leaking after it sits in the tranny for a while. However, it also contains seal conditioners so it should rejuvinate the seals at the same time. It is literally the ONLY product I would ever put in the tranny other than ATF. I don't even like the ATF products (Maxlife and others) that contain cleaners with the ATF.

simboglide 04-26-2013 09:48 AM

Last but no least,,, Diff lube....did the the factory use synthetc or dino?