The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ECUtune SVX performance transmission controller (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55843)

jeffs92svx 11-01-2010 03:58 AM

ECUtune SVX performance transmission controller

Has anyone heard of these? They are on ebay for $328. I know a lot of ebay stuff is junk. It says that they are tuned and keep trans cooler and change shift points and hydraulic pressure and makes the light come on sooner. Any thoughts? Thanks.

TomsSVX 11-01-2010 04:47 AM

Re: ECUtune SVX performance transmission controller

LAN here is ECUtune, he does flashes of the stock ECU with slight changes to the maps for a bit more performance out of the stock controller. From what I can tell they are good maps, people tend to like the way the car shifts with these... If you want to stick to an auto, this would not be a bad upgrade

Tom

jeffs92svx 11-01-2010 05:37 AM

thank you tom. SO, you mean LAN (screen name) Is the ECUtune guy?

Hocrest 11-01-2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffs92svx (Post 661800)
thank you tom. SO, you mean LAN (screen name) Is the ECUtune guy?

Yes.......

SoCal LS-L 11-01-2010 09:53 AM

"Longassname" is who you seek, not LAN :rolleyes:

Sometimes the old-timers here forget that NEW people come around from time to time.

I blame the early onset of Alzheimers :D

svxfiles 11-01-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffs92svx (Post 661796)
Has anyone heard of these? They are on ebay for $328. I know a lot of ebay stuff is junk. It says that they are tuned and keep trans cooler and change shift points and hydraulic pressure and makes the light come on sooner. Any thoughts? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ECUtu...item1e57814ca5
I have one in my relatively stock 93, Christine and one in My SC Claret with 4.44s and more.
I am very happy with the new shifting programs.:)
They let the engine go to higher shift points and for better use of the torque that we have, IMHO.

Huskymaniac 11-02-2010 08:32 AM

I am still surprised that no one with a 1996 or 1997 has ordered a modified TCU yet. I may take the leap soon myself but only after everything else, that needs to be done, is done first.

lhopp77 11-02-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 661878)
I am still surprised that no one with a 1996 or 1997 has ordered a modified TCU yet. I may take the leap soon myself but only after everything else, that needs to be done, is done first.

I did order a 97 and it won't work. Have not installed it on a 96, so don't know if it will work there either.

Lee

longassname 11-03-2010 09:28 AM

I looked into the 96 and 97 TCUs last year when Ihopp's son asked if I could make one for his 97. At that time I had no idea and told him if he ordered one I'd try to make it for him and either succeed or refund his $$. He ordered one so I ordered 96 and 97 core TCUs. The 96 TCU had some hardware differences from other SVX TCUs but used the same processor and I was able to modify it. The 97 TCU is completely different from other SVX TCUs including a different processor and no onboard external memory socket location.

Ihopp's son asked for the 96 TCU to use in his dad's car over a refund. It's the only 96 TCU I've done so far. I wasn't doing the modifications to the solenoid a maps back then but I did identify and modify the shift maps for the 96 and posted the locations and modified hex data in Phil's thread for public knowledge and use. I also provided Phil with the bin of the firmware for the 96. There was one switch location I wasn't 100% confident in but it was just a light switch or something and I didn't use it. I don't think finding the solenoid a maps will be difficult but it's not at the top of my to do list.

I'd take an order for a 96 TCU but it would be a special order at a higher price. I wouldn't take an order for a 97 TCU and don't intend to investigate it further.

Huskymaniac 11-03-2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname (Post 661959)
I looked into the 96 and 97 TCUs last year when Ihopp's son asked if I could make one for his 97. At that time I had no idea and told him if he ordered one I'd try to make it for him and either succeed or refund his $$. He ordered one so I ordered 96 and 97 core TCUs. The 96 TCU had some hardware differences from other SVX TCUs but used the same processor and I was able to modify it. The 97 TCU is completely different from other SVX TCUs including a different processor and no onboard external memory socket location.

Ihopp's son asked for the 96 TCU to use in his dad's car over a refund. It's the only 96 TCU I've done so far. I wasn't doing the modifications to the solenoid a maps back then but I did identify and modify the shift maps for the 96 and posted the locations and modified hex data in Phil's thread for public knowledge and use. I also provided Phil with the bin of the firmware for the 96. There was one switch location I wasn't 100% confident in but it was just a light switch or something and I didn't use it. I don't think finding the solenoid a maps will be difficult but it's not at the top of my to do list.

I'd take an order for a 96 TCU but it would be a special order at a higher price. I wouldn't take an order for a 97 TCU and don't intend to investigate it further.

This is probably a stupid question but I will ask it anyways. Would a pre-1996 TCU work in a 1996 vehicle?

Manarius 11-03-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 661960)
This is probably a stupid question but I will ask it anyways. Would a pre-1996 TCU work in a 1996 vehicle?

No. 1996 has OBDII in which the TCU interacts with the ECU in a different way than the 1992-1995 models (notably the lack of POWER light, but presence of modified shift maps :))

Huskymaniac 11-20-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 661971)
No. 1996 has OBDII in which the TCU interacts with the ECU in a different way than the 1992-1995 models (notably the lack of POWER light, but presence of modified shift maps :))

Ok, this seems extreme but what if one were to replace the ECU and the TCU to a 1992-1995 model? Can the swap be done if they are both done at the same time?

The thing is, I don't think anyone has decoded the valve duty cycle maps for the OBD II cars yet and, for all we know, the Subaru guys figured this out and did what Mike did on the older models. Probably not but...maybe.

longassname 11-21-2010 01:25 PM

Husky it's a lot easier for me to do the 96 solenoid a maps than it would be fore you to go trying to change ECUs and TCUs. The 96 apears to use the same main solenoid a maps and they appear to be located at ca53, ca6b, ca83, and ca9b

Coan 11-22-2010 12:16 AM

Well, that's another mod to cross off my list. :(
(97 owner)

longassname 11-23-2010 10:17 AM

If you're ready to order I could probably get a 96 core and have it on it's way to you complete with new solenoid a maps in 2 or 3 weeks. Order it now and you'll have it in plenty of time to give it to yourself for Christmas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 663070)
Ok, this seems extreme but what if one were to replace the ECU and the TCU to a 1992-1995 model? Can the swap be done if they are both done at the same time?

The thing is, I don't think anyone has decoded the valve duty cycle maps for the OBD II cars yet and, for all we know, the Subaru guys figured this out and did what Mike did on the older models. Probably not but...maybe.