The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kid threw up - Alcantara and panel questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60691)

jetboy 10-10-2012 10:02 AM

Kid threw up - Alcantara and panel questions

1 Attachment(s)
This isn't _really_ technical, so I put it here.

My kid seriously overate saturday morning and then we decided to drive to another country (Sweden). Just about to complete the series of bends uphill, he said he needed to throw up.

He's 3 1/2, so the warning came a bit late. If you happen to see this thread because you searched for "kid" or "threw up": A kid cannot get his/her head out the window. The car has no rear doors. Belted, they can't move forwards. None of this matters until the barf flows but I urge you to use some protection (in the car).

So what got hit? Leather and alcantara. I did initial clean up as soon as possible with paper tissue and some wipes. I removed the back seat cushion and gave it a proper cleaning including using a screw driver in the stitching to get everything out. I cleaned the cables and everything around there.

The affected section:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1349885067

I've done the second treatment with Swissvax Alcanta and I'm not really sure if it removes the smell. I want to remove the rear right interior panel and do more thorough cleaning.

Are the rear panels fastened by two screws, one behind the rear seat back and one going into the "floor"? Can I safely remove the panel with no concern for belts, wires or anything? I want to take it out of the car to clean EVERYTHING properly. Can I detach and reattach the alcantara section from the panel?

I mentioned Swissvax Alcanta. Did you successfully apply a product to the alcantara which removed the smell of puke and didn't ruin the faux suade?

Thanks for all experiences shared :barf:

dbarnblatt 10-10-2012 10:27 AM

Re: Kid threw up - Alcantara and panel questions

1 Attachment(s)
There are 2 fasteners:

One is located at the bottom of the panel. It holds the metal tab near the fuel lines in your picture to the body.

The other fastener is located on the panel and is revealed when the rear seat back is folded down.

Remove both and gently lift the door sill kick plate, the fore section of the panel is tucked under the door sill.

Now gently pull the panel away from the body starting from the bottom... there are 4 clips that are on the back side and they should pop out of the locating holes in the body. Lift upwards to release the tabs that hold the panel to the top lip of the body panel near the window.

Unplug the window switch and pull the panel away.

The alcantara armrest I think is permanently attached to the panel... but it might unscrew from the backside like the arm rests on the doors.

See attachment.

jetboy 10-10-2012 11:14 AM

Ah yes, the window switch. Is it by any chance a grey connector down by the floor?

Thanks for confirming it was only those two bolts and prepare me for the 4 clips. I take on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 is engine rebuild this is a category 1 operation?

SVX92-97 10-10-2012 11:40 AM

My 3 1/2 year old threw up too, but he was in a car seat and it went all over his shirt and car seat but not in the car;)

dbarnblatt 10-10-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 713293)
Ah yes, the window switch. Is it by any chance a grey connector down by the floor?

Thanks for confirming it was only those two bolts and prepare me for the 4 clips. I take on a scale from 1 to 10 where 10 is engine rebuild this is a category 1 operation?

The connector for the window switch will be right behind the panel. There is enough slack to get the panel moved out enough to disconnect the switch.

Yes... very low on the scale. 1 - 3. Skill is needed in being intuitive and have a good feel. The plastics are old. If a clip breaks, then you will need to order a replacement.

svxcess 10-10-2012 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarnblatt (Post 713287)
There are 2 screws:

One is located at the bottom of the panel. It holds the metal tab near the fuel lines in your picture to the body.

The other fastener is located on the panel and is revealed when the rear seat back is folded down.

Remove both and gently lift the door sill kick plate, the fore section of the panel is tucked under the door sill.

Now gently pull the panel away from the body starting from the bottom... there are 4 clips that are on the back side and they should pop out of the locating holes in the body. Lift upwards to release the tabs that hold the panel to the top lip of the body panel near the window.

Unplug the window switch and pull the panel away.

See diagram below from the Body FSM.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1349892252

SilverSpear 10-10-2012 12:07 PM

Hmmm notes to self for future:
1- No kids allowed in SVX, use mommy's car :D
2- No ride for the faint of heart
3- If you are not ME, then this car is NOT yours to drive :D

jetboy 10-10-2012 12:16 PM

I've driven this kid 10k km in 6 months in this car, he's never been sick before and I blame the recent meal combined with the awful smell of diesel-porky in front of us (revving hard up those bends).

He's in a high quality Britax seat using the three point harness / belt but intuitively bent towards the window resulting in some of it coming onto the alcantara and downhill from there... Most of it came on the seat and his shirt. The leather can take it and is easily cleaned, the "job" is cleaning the stitching itself. Didn't take more than 10 minutes given the small amount.

The stopping windows are actually nice considering. Typically when someone become sick windows are opened (= rubber trim / seal not so efficient), the try to bend out, barf goes down the window slit. That's worse :)

And thanks svxcess :)

:barf:

AlcyoneSVX 10-10-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 713299)
3- If you are not ME, then this car is NOT yours to drive :D

Agreed!!! :D

Green1995SVX 10-10-2012 09:29 PM

The synthetic suede like material is actually of the Ecsaine brand. Ecsaine's cleaning procedure says to use a solution of woolite and water and "blot" the affected area.

Pure_Insanity8 10-10-2012 11:25 PM

If you still have an issue with a smell, try baking soda. Pour some in a container and slowly add water while mixing. Make a paste (not too wet). Apply directly to affected area liberally and work in with a toothbrush or the like. Allow to dry, then vacuum up. Voila! Works like a charm (speaking from experience).:)

jetboy 10-11-2012 08:30 AM

Oooh nice one.

Green, do you mean that the faux suade is not Alcantara, it's Ecsaine?

Are these different materials?

Or.. are we talking one kind of fabric but two different brands / manufacturers?

svxcess 10-11-2012 09:49 AM

Developed by Toray Industries in Japan, Alcantara and Ecsaine (as they are known in Japan) is a synthetic material, made from extremely fine polyester microfibers (68% polyester and 32% urethane) it has the appearance and tactile feel similar to that of suede.

This product is licensed to various manufacturers worldwide. In the United States, it is known as Ultra suede, Micro suede, etc) The content and properties are the same and so are the instructions for it's care.

The copyright of the original Wordmark "Ecsaine" has expired and been replaced by Alacantara.

Website in Japanese: http://www.ecsaine.com/

jetboy 10-11-2012 10:17 AM

Yep, what I thought :) Thanks.

jetboy 10-15-2012 01:09 AM

So far, I got no or little smell and a great white patch on my grey blue beauty. Vacuum cleaning did not work so I'm going to use the Swissvax a few times and see if I end up with perfect fabric.

While on this topic. What are the other materials used in the coupe? The dash, the panels, the roof, the sunroof, the carpet etc. I'm considering a deep cleaning of the entire interior, I guess it hasn't been done since new.