The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Light rims... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16353)

nextcubepro 02-11-2004 01:51 PM

Light rims...

I was looking into getting 16x8 forged rims that weigh about 13 lbs each. Couple of questions.

They're lighter, so are they weaker?

Stock rims are 23 lbs. Do they give the car that nice heavy riding, solid to the road feeling? Will these rims degrade the ride?

How about handling? Will the extra .5" over stock help cornering?

wawazat?? 02-11-2004 02:04 PM

Light wieght does not necessarily equal less strength. The method of construction has more to do with it. Forged wheels are typically stronger (and more expensive) than cast wheels.

The weight of the wheels does little to contribute to the heavy feeling of the car. The heavy weight of the car does that well enough. A previous mechanic of mine who had never been in an SVX commented that it was the most German-feeling Japanese car he'd ever driven. He then recommended that we buy a Maxima.

New, high-performance tires and a well sorted and maintained suspension will do much more than the extra 0.5" of width. The only thing that the extra 0.5" of wheel width allows you to do is to add wider tires which can increase your handling capabilities.

Todd

Landshark 02-11-2004 05:08 PM

lighter wheels will also give you quicker acceleration. :)

nextcubepro 02-11-2004 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
lighter wheels will also give you quicker acceleration. :)
ALWAYS a good thing :D

Breck SVX 02-11-2004 07:52 PM

Lighter wheels should give a more compliant ride because of less unsprung mass, right?

-Alex

HighwayUFO 02-11-2004 07:59 PM

I am currently rolling on 16" Enkei 5 spoke mag rally wheels. These wheels are made of Magnesium. I know Magnesium may sound a little far fetched, but they are. I drove into a pothole that makes the dent in any local buffet attacked by rosie O'Donnell look like an appetizer. My tire blew and my rim didn't get scratched or dinged. no damage at all. Best part is that if you have a Les Schwab tire center nearby, if you live anywhere in the west the rime are pretty cheap. I paid $450 for all 4 and the white paint looks good. give it some thought.

Breck SVX 02-11-2004 08:11 PM

I remember watching an old rally video, someone with a celica all-trac was running mag wheels. The tire blew and eventually shreaded off, consequently the wheel got very hot and BAM!, fire everywhere...good stuff

-Alex

wawazat?? 02-11-2004 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by civic_slayer
I am currently rolling on 16" Enkei 5 spoke mag rally wheels. These wheels are made of Magnesium. I know Magnesium may sound a little far fetched, but they are. I paid $450 for all 4 and the white paint looks good. give it some thought.

No disrespect, but I doubt that they are actually magnesium wheels, especially for $450 for all four. The term "mag wheels" came from a magnesium alloy used to make them in the '50's. That alloy is expensive and offers significant pyrotechnic capabilities when ignited. Enkei offers a variety of aluminum wheels produced by low pressure casting, high-pressure-vacuum degassed casting, forging and roll forging, some of which are very strong, but none that I have seen have been made of magnesium.

Todd

HighwayUFO 02-11-2004 08:48 PM

i swear that they are magnesium, unless i misread the article. Could be the hub cap that is magnesium.

nextcubepro 02-11-2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Breck SVX
Lighter wheels should give a more compliant ride because of less unsprung mass, right?

-Alex

Now that's interesting...

drivemusicnow 02-12-2004 02:36 PM

They do make magnesium wheels. i don't know if specifically enkei wheels do, but i know that some wheel manufactures do use it. For sure the alfa concept "Brera" used 20 inch magnesium wheels, due to the size vs weight issue

oab_au 02-12-2004 03:47 PM

Magnesium.

Magnesium has a limited life due to corrosion. 5 years max for racing wheels then scrap.

Harvey. ;)