The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Paint codes (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10130)

SVXRide 04-18-2003 02:41 PM

Paint codes

I really, really need to repaint the center caps on my '92's wheels (SVXess's put me over the edge:p ). Does anyone have the correct paint code so the caps match the rest of the wheel?

Also -- am I correct in assuming that there were two versions of "black" in '92? My "black" is definitely different from Immortal Suby's "black" -- is there a regular black and a black mica?.
Anyone have the paint code for black mica?

-Bill

immortal_suby 04-19-2003 09:43 AM

My black and my wife's black (hers appears similar to yours) are both paint code 235. Mine was banged up about a year after inception according to carfax - I believe it was a total repaint then. I have not seen another black with similar paint yet. It looks almost maroon metallic when it's clean and in the sunlight.

ensteele 04-19-2003 10:09 AM

I have seen two different tints of the Black Mica - one with red flecks and one with green flecks.

This was taken from a past thread - I think it was from Aredub:

Painting the Center Wheel Caps

For those who need to paint their center caps, I found that Plasti-Kote Import Color paint code “Datsun 5412” matches the 94 silver wheels perfectly.

For the 92 "gray" wheels, the color "Burnished Silver" works well. I was a little upset with the Burnished Silver when I first painted them, because it looked just a little darker than the wheels themselves. Then, when I bought my second 92, it had brand new centers and they look just slightly darker than the wheels, so, I guess I chose the correct color. Both of these colors should be available at Advance Auto or Autozone.

The thing to do is to sand the old caps down to the yellow, or very close. Then, "mist" them with XIM sealer/primer/bonder (available at most hardware stores, Lowes or Home Depot). I say "mist," because if you put a heavy coat on them, they immediately "blister" and the bonder gives you problems.

After you've misted them with the bonder, let them set for a day for a good "cure." Then, paint. I used toilet paper tubes to sit the caps on for easy painting. Spray the caps as directed. If you're adventurous, you can try painting the "Subaru" in the middle black, by thinning some black paint, and using a very small brush or tooth pick to apply the paint, then "tilt" the cap to allow the paint to flow into the letters (I, by the way, was NOT adventurous).

My caps have been painted for two years now, with no signs of wear.

Aredubjay 04-19-2003 03:46 PM

Here is a post with codes from the Yahoo message archives. I've read posts from early members who said that body shops, who have had to mix the paint, have a difficult time making it look right. PDsides (I believe) had to have a full re-spray done after a fellow made his car look "dark maroon."

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=40232

SVXRide 04-19-2003 08:56 PM

Thanks!

Given that all four of my center caps are showing yellow, guess I won't have much to sand:p
Thanks much for the info!!
-Bill

Ron Mummert 04-19-2003 10:00 PM

There's also a Plasti-Cote GM silver that's real close. I did mine prior to the Lafayette trip last summer, & they still look good.

Ron.

immortal_suby 06-22-2003 12:43 PM

I found out why my paint is different - it is not svx paint. Gotsubarus father had the same paint on his legacy - it is an ebony mica legacy color. I can't remember the code, I'm sure he'll know what it is. I'm definitely staying with it if I ever get another paint job.

SVXRide 06-22-2003 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
I found out why my paint is different - it is not svx paint. Gotsubarus father had the same paint on his legacy - it is an ebony mica legacy color. I can't remember the code, I'm sure he'll know what it is. I'm definitely staying with it if I ever get another paint job.
Hey, please see if you can get the code -- I'm probably looking at a total paint job next year :eek:
-Bill

nubs 06-22-2003 10:05 PM

Re: Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Given that all four of my center caps are showing yellow, guess I won't have much to sand:p
Thanks much for the info!!
-Bill

If you use lacquer thinner you won't have to sand the paint off at all.

SVXRide 06-23-2003 07:16 AM

Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by nubs

If you use lacquer thinner you won't have to sand the paint off at all.

Nubs,
Thanks, I hadn't thought about lacquer thinner.....now to get the caps off...:D
-Bill