The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anyone bored? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10420)

Chicane 04-30-2003 11:42 AM

Anyone bored?

I'm hoping to find someone in the midwest who'd be up for a little SVX get together where hopefully we could fix my car's leak. It's the crank seal, right in front. While we're doing it we could do the cam seals if they're easy enough. I'm pretty good with tools (I've torn apart v8s before) but these subies are weird to me, so having someone aroudn with experience would be awesome. I'll supply the beer. Also, it'd be in 3 weeks or so, once school is done with (thank god).

Phil, I'm assuming you'd be there, but I know you haven't changed seals before. :)

- Rob

Aredubjay 04-30-2003 11:49 AM

Re: Anyone bored?

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
I'm hoping to find someone in the midwest who'd be up for a little SVX get together where hopefully we could fix my car's leak. It's the crank seal, right in front. While we're doing it we could do the cam seals if they're easy enough. I'm pretty good with tools (I've torn apart v8s before) but these subies are weird to me, so having someone aroudn with experience would be awesome. I'll supply the beer. Also, it'd be in 3 weeks or so, once school is done with (thank god).

Phil, I'm assuming you'd be there, but I know you haven't changed seals before. :)

- Rob

You might wanna go ahead and replace both cam seals, timing belt and water pump while you're in there. The parts are relatively inexpensive, and labor cost in beer would be a lot less than in dollars. :D:D

Seraph 04-30-2003 11:50 AM

Want to put in my front diff for me while you are at it?

Chicane 04-30-2003 11:58 AM

I'm up for a huge weekend of SVX maintenence if you are. We could all meet up and work from friday-sunday, get rid of a bunch of problems.

- Rob

sfsvx 04-30-2003 11:59 AM

Re: Re: Anyone bored?

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
The parts are relatively inexpensive, and labor cost in beer would be a lot less than in dollars. :D:D
Not if I'm the labor. :eek: :rolleyes:

alacrity024 04-30-2003 11:59 AM

now THIS is the sort of stuff that should go on at meets.. none of this dilly-dallying around with "scenic drives" and "dinner" and "other junk" we should just get down and dirty!!

-adam

Mr. Pockets 04-30-2003 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
now THIS is the sort of stuff that should go on at meets.. none of this dilly-dallying around with "scenic drives" and "dinner" and "other junk" we should just get down and dirty!!

-adam

I disagree - I love the scenic drives. Sure, I enjoy bonding with my SVX by working on it, but for me the real joy is driving it. As for 'dinner,' I've had fantastic times with members in large and small groups. So many fond memories come to mind.

The thirty-plus people who attended my meet in Vermont seemed to agree with me.

Now, I'm not against the idea of getting together for some hard-core wrenching. I would love to help out Rob if I lived closer to him - especially since I've replaced the front seal before. And, hey, if you want to plan a meet that's chock full of replacin' and repairin', by all means do so.

I just think we use the current format because it works so well.

seasvx 04-30-2003 12:23 PM

Quote:

-adam

...ah, the Gearheads vs. the Existentialists ! <pushes the lazyboy into recline position to watch the fun>

Aredubjay 04-30-2003 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I disagree - I love the scenic drives. Sure, I enjoy bonding with my SVX by working on it, but for me the real joy is driving it. As for 'dinner,' I've had fantastic times with members in large and small groups. So many fond memories come to mind.

Now, I'm not against the idea of getting together for some hard-core wrenching. I would love to help out Rob if I lived closer to him - especially since I've replaced the front seal before. And, hey, if you want to plan a meet that's chock full of replacin' and repairin', by all means do so.

My take is, that these are two different "types" of meets. Kinda like a "conference" versus a "retreat." Conferences are usually more business and "doing stuff", while retreats are more relaxing and without a lot of physical or mental exertion. I'm up for both types, just so's I know which one I'm getting into at the time. :D:D:D

Suffice it to say that an impromptu brake pad change workshop occurred at Reading, along with the scheduled technical displays, so, the Reading meet was not totally devoid of technical impartations. :D

Chicane 04-30-2003 02:32 PM

Changing pads?! oh come on, that BARELY counts. That takes likes like ONE BOLT. Pretty pathetic man. :p

- Rob

Phast SVX 04-30-2003 02:35 PM

im not sure if the timing belt has beendone, by my front cams are leaking along with my valve cover, i know parts will be quite cheap so we just need to DO IT one of these weekends,(weeks :) )
im all for a labor intensive workshop rob
phil

Chicane 04-30-2003 02:39 PM

Alright, once school is out we're SOOO doing this.

- Rob

PS: Maybe tranny cooler too.

benebob 04-30-2003 02:39 PM

Meets

Quote:

-adam

And what happens when something doesn't go right 500 miles from home or worse yet on the way home.:D Besides, how many hotels have you know that'll let you tear a car apart in the parking lot?:D A small mini meet yes but when you have 50 or so cars not everyone can see what's going on.

montypython 04-30-2003 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Nick, I couldn't agree more. And the Vermont meet will forever be my favorite. You did a great job.
Move back to VT man and do it again.

Aredubjay 04-30-2003 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
Changing pads?! oh come on, that BARELY counts. That takes likes like ONE BOLT. Pretty pathetic man. :p

- Rob

I said "impromptu." One of the attendee's brakes were going metal to metal. Sounded like a train coming to a stop, even when brakes weren't applied. One member had spare pads in their car, the other had tools. It wasn't just a "play" demo, it was real and necessary. Just shows the willingness of the membership to give it up in a pinch.