The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Catching up with other SVX owners (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35859)

Dessertrunner 10-28-2006 03:25 AM

Catching up with other SVX owners

Guys
See as the thread is a bit slow I thought I might put up a suggestion I do a lot of travelling in my SVX and are in most capital cities on the East coast at some point. I figure that some of you might like a drive in a SVX with a 5 speed gear box. My old girl is a bit tied and has a dint in the drived door from the last Roo but it still runs well and soon it will have the DMS struts fitted as well as the PWR radiator.
To give you a idea of distance I travel in it I have put 50,000 k on since March this year so chance are I will be some were near each of you in the next 6 months. Anyone interested, how about you Harvey as you helped me sort out the speedo etc?
Tony

viking64 10-28-2006 10:35 PM

anytime in the big smoke

Hi Tony , by all means let us know when you are in town on business or pleasure. I would love to "feel" a manual SVX, but also real keen on the DMS shocks - I did contact them (thanks for the info) and while on the $ side a bit high at least they are rebuiltable and not just once off. Jason is not far way from here, we had a mini-meet so to speek a few weeks back, he was driving past and spotted my red SVX in the drive way and I spotted his charcol SVX pulling up and I think it was a look of amazement for both of us - we'd never met but on here.

So sure let us know when in Sydney - you drive the Vortex as well sometimes.

cheers
bruce

berger 10-28-2006 11:54 PM

im up for a look at a manual

i been tossing the idea of having a aust meet some time next year... need more people on the forums tho :S

Dessertrunner 10-29-2006 01:00 AM

Berger I go to Melbourne about once a month as I have a daughter in Uni there so we can catch up. I have a second daughter in Sydney but most times fly down but I still go there in the SVX about 5 times per year so I feel sure we can get together some time in the future. Matt had a drive in the Gold Coast when I went to the Indy last week. I think his comment afterwards summed it up "Why the hell didn't Subaru bring it out with a manuel, its a totally different car".
I think they are the best car ever made so happy to share the pleasure of a 5 speed with you guys.
Tony

McTaff 10-30-2006 08:48 PM

Come to Sydney, and I will assess this "SVX With A Stick" caper. ;)

Dessertrunner 10-31-2006 12:57 AM

McTaff I was wondering what happen to you you have been quite.
Tony

-JJ- 10-31-2006 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McTaff
Come to Sydney, and I will assess this "SVX With A Stick" caper. ;)

Im with McTaff ;)

dynomatt 10-31-2006 05:28 AM

Manual is good...Tony's right, my first comments were "why didn't they build them like this". They're a different car.

Here's hoping the six speed is different again...

Oh, and an open invitation to all members to come for a blat in my car when it's finished.

Um...I'll drive.

:D

M

oab_au 10-31-2006 04:45 PM

Sure, tell us when.

Anytime you, or anybody else is driving through Coffs, on the coast road, let me know. I'll pick you up somewhere for a cuppa.

Matt I have some great Forrest roads around me here, where I can test you car to the max,:D no worries.:eek:

Harvey. ;)

dynomatt 10-31-2006 04:47 PM

Harvey,

Coff's used to host a great rally a few years back...never got a chance to compete, but apparently they used to run in and around the banana plantations somewhere.

Of course you can have a run...I'll hopefully be coming through with it around the 23rd of November.

Matt

McTaff 11-02-2006 07:36 PM

Where has Mctaff been?

I was faced with a different set of life circumstances, but I'm back to being able to check the boards and so on.

I am dead keen to check out the manual, as I am aching to do it to my car but just haven't had the time up until now. I was planning on going right for the 6 spd, but I haven't been totally sure on what needs to be done, and haven't found anywhere I can trust yet.

What are you doing to yours, Dynomatt?

dynomatt 11-02-2006 07:45 PM

McTaff...just a little project.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34904

With a significant amount of assistance and thanks to Dessertrunner.

M

Dessertrunner 11-03-2006 01:41 AM

McTaff I was tninking today that we should see how many want to change theres over because having done it once we might be able to do the next one quickly so we should see who is interested. As regards the 6 speed we have to get the one for Matt's car from the USA other wise I would of had to sell the wife and kids to pay for it. The 5 speed is pretty good not sure for road and city use the 6 might drive you nuts changing gear all the time.
Tony

dynomatt 11-03-2006 05:52 AM

I've now been for a drive in a 6 speed WRX. Same gearing as mine will be.

I reckon if I was doing one for the road, I think a 5 speed would be more than sufficient...the ratios are just too close.

However, the newer STi 6 speeds are getting wider ratios, making them more like the 5 speeds. That might be a better option.

Reading the different conversion things, I'm not sure which one is easier. For road cars, the relocation of the wiring loom is a real ***** of a job. However, Tony's clutch pedal is mounted lower which makes it a bit easier.

I reckon we've got it a bit harder than the LHD guys.

Matt

McTaff 11-03-2006 08:09 PM

Good idea DR - throw up a "5 Speed Interest Thread" I'll toss my hat into the ring for some action there.

My thinking around the 5 speed was to use a different diff ratio (if possible) to artificially widen them, as long as that won't make 1st/2nd/3rd too tall. (Either that or actually close them up so you can skip gears :D ).

My main theory is due to the innate strength of the 6 spd and my penchant for breaking things that I pay good money for. Further down the track I was toying with the idea of the 'charger sitting on top. If I at least put the 6'er in first up it's ready for it, and I won't go ahead and bust up a perfectly good 5'er.

I suppose I'll shut up about this now, seeing as this thread was supposed to be about Dessert Runner bringing us some.. uh... 'sugar-for-daddy'. So... when you comin' up?