The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Power Steering Fluid recommendations? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46123)

WestCoastSVX 09-08-2008 10:30 AM

Power Steering Fluid recommendations?

A couple of questions that I couldn't find answers to with a search:

First, what does everyone use for their Power Steering fluid? I think the O-Ring How-To mention Dexron III transmisison fluid (which I couldn't even find at the local chain auto parts store). Does this go by other names? Or is there an "upgrade" that helps the system out in any way?

Second, can the fluid be effectively changed by just using a turkey baster to pull out old fluid from the resevoir and refilling with new fluid at every other oil change or so? In the tradition of the "drain and fill" method of keeping tranny fluid fresh? I would assume the power steering fluid gets circulated and mixed throughout the system and this would work, yes?

Hocrest 09-08-2008 11:15 AM

Re: Power Steering Fluid recommendations?

Use the same DexIII that you use in your tranny. Some parts stores have a fluid that is good for both dex and Merc. Tell them you need some basic DexIIIand they'll hook you up.

A quicker way to drain the system is to remove the low pressure return hose into the pump and run the car till it pumps it dry. The LP is the one with the normal hose clamp, not the metal pipe fitting.

Hondasucks 09-11-2008 12:56 AM

I use the Justice Brothers Power Steering Flush and Treatment that we have at work. I use an air vacuum bottle (You hook an air line to it, and it creates a vacuum to let you suck fluids out and such, great for changing brake fluid) and first suck the old fluid out of the reservoir, then I remove the return hose (A bit tricky on the SVX, I use lots of silicone spray and slide the hose over off the reservoir). I then cap the bung coming out of the reservoir, and connect the vacuum bottle to the hose I just disconnected, and then I turn on the suction and add the JB fluid to the reservoir, until the fluid I'm drawing back out turns red. Then I hook the hoses back up, wipe up any fluid that leaked, and top of the reservoir.

I haven't done it to my SVX yet but I did it to my wife's T Leg and it seems to have helped.

svxfiles 09-11-2008 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 563172)
Second, can the fluid be effectively changed by just using a turkey baster to pull out old fluid from the resevoir and refilling with new fluid at every other oil change or so? In the tradition of the "drain and fill" method of keeping tranny fluid fresh? I would assume the power steering fluid gets circulated and mixed throughout the system and this would work, yes?

Yes.:)78910