The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thanks AREDUB! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3212)

Clydesvx 03-20-2002 11:18 AM

Thanks AREDUB!

Aredub,
Thanks, I got my info from a manual I bought from Subaru. I never thought it would be as bad as it said. Having added and replaced tape decks in older subaru's I it to be a little easier. I got to a point where I could replace a radio and CD in less than 20 minutes.
Thanks Again,
Clydesvx

Aredubjay 03-20-2002 12:20 PM

Re: Thanks AREDUB!

Quote:

Originally posted by Clydesvx
Aredub,
Thanks, I got my info from a manual I bought from Subaru. I never thought it would be as bad as it said. Having added and replaced tape decks in older subaru's I it to be a little easier. I got to a point where I could replace a radio and CD in less than 20 minutes.
Thanks Again,
Clydesvx

My pleasure, Clyde. Yes, I've read the instructions in the service manual. They are somewhat ridiculous -- telling you that you have to virtually disassemble the car to do the job. I guess it's so they can justify "flat rate." Now that I've done it, it shouldn't take a half hour or so. That is, if I make sure all the components are right side up. :D

I was disappointed when I put the radio in. I was counting on it to cure my illumination problems on my current unit (no volume/treble/fader backlight, no station button backlight. Plus the remaining lights go on and off and dim and brighten on a whim. But, the replacement radio had no LCD backlight. I'd rather see the LCD at night, I can "Ray Charles" my way around the other buttons. :D

Best of luck, and have fun.

Ron Mummert 03-20-2002 06:43 PM

Aredub, or anyone. My factory system works fine. All the lights light, the CD has never skipped, & the LCDS are functioning. Having said that, it means tomorrow something will crap out. In the event I ever need to swap it out, can a stock unit be bench tested to be sure everything's cool BEFORE I chisel at all the surrounding plastic & tangle the harness? Just curious in advance. Thanks, guys.
Ron.

Aredubjay 03-20-2002 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
Aredub, or anyone. My factory system works fine. All the lights light, the CD has never skipped, & the LCDS are functioning. Having said that, it means tomorrow something will crap out. In the event I ever need to swap it out, can a stock unit be bench tested to be sure everything's cool BEFORE I chisel at all the surrounding plastic & tangle the harness? Just curious in advance. Thanks, guys.
Ron.

I'm sure it could be bench tested by a reputable repair shop. Or, if you've got the equipment. I plan on taking the units I have now and having them checked out and refirbed for future use.

The interesting thing in all this is that the CD Unit I replaced my original with, has a mfg date of January, '91. The unit I replaced was mfg September, '91.

Never2phat 03-20-2002 09:53 PM

No stinkin' lights

If anyone needs the CD players face plate(very good shape) or the board behind it(has the lights and actual buttons: all work) I would be willing to part with them for $5 each. My player died and I'm trying to recoup a lil $$$ to buy another one. I hate not having a CD player to listen to :( First dibs to those who are going to be at the Reading meet. I'll bring them with me to do away with S/H. If no one from the Reading meet needs them I'll sell them for the same plus whatever the shipping charges would be :)

:D B.C. :D

P.S. If it makes a difference, both the face plate and the board are easy to exchange if you already have the unit removed from the dash.