The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yeah, it's O/T but I wanted to share it... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7696)

Beav 12-20-2002 07:12 PM

Yeah, it's O/T but I wanted to share it...

A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous -- yes.

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and proceeded to pour their entire contents into the jar --effectively filling the empty space between the sand.

The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things - your faith, your family, your partner, your health, and your children--things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff."

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued "there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Go to church. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. "Take care of the rocks first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."

Alcyone SVX LSL 12-20-2002 07:17 PM

I saw that one coming, at least it is true...:)

SVXphile 12-20-2002 08:12 PM

That's a thought-provoking story Beav....thanks for posting it.
I think I'll make a copy to share with some friends and relatives.
:) Don

CDG 12-20-2002 09:23 PM

I'm sorry, I'm still laughing my ass off.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Uncamitzi 12-20-2002 10:02 PM

What a waste of two beers:( :( :(

;)

DavieGravy 12-20-2002 11:36 PM

That's a great analogy. Thanks.

SHISVX 12-21-2002 06:22 AM

after taking a whole semester in Philosophy, that is the best analogy that i have ever heard. it makes th emost sense, thanks Beav!

Kelli

Andy 12-21-2002 08:14 AM

Many thanks for that, it brightened up my day

(My jar is full of rocks, and for that I can be nothing but happy)

Landshark 12-21-2002 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
Many thanks for that, it brightened up my day

(My jar is full of rocks, and for that I can be nothing but happy)

my jar seems to be mostly beer :p :D

$VX 12-21-2002 09:30 AM

I like it except for the whole 'going to church' comment. WTF.

I know tons of people who 'go to church' and have crappy lives, and I know a lot of people who are very successful (in relationships and financially) who DON"T go to church.

I wish religon was illegal..

- Ca$h

Andy 12-21-2002 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h

You don't have children either, does that mean that you haven't got a life?

$VX 12-21-2002 09:45 AM

From the post:

---stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Go to church. Take time to get medic---

- Ca$h

SHISVX 12-21-2002 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by $VX
I wish religon was illegal..

- Ca$h

don't you mean religion?;P

Kelli

look deeper into what the meaning behind the words is.. you know, deconstructionism?

$VX 12-21-2002 09:55 AM

yeah yeah. Religion. :P I did like the overall idea, but I just don't think 'going to church' is even REMOTELY as important as 'playing with your kids'.

- Ca$h

Andy 12-21-2002 10:00 AM

You seem to have got the wrong end of the stick, Cash.

The things that are critical to you may be different to those important to me, or to the author. You may not go to church, you may not have kids to play with, you may not have a dancing partner. What he is saying is look after your rocks, not your sand.