The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Howling sound came back (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11579)

DavieGravy 06-24-2003 09:36 PM

Howling sound came back

The howling sound I was talking about in this thread has come back as I knew it would. :rolleyes:
I checked the intake tube for cracks and didn't see anything.
What's the likeliness that this is an exhaust leak?

DavieGravy 06-26-2003 12:14 PM

Anyone know what this might be? Sometimes it's bad, other time's I can bearly hear it.

maximvsv 06-26-2003 07:52 PM

Here's my guess. You're only hearing this when everything's heated up and has positive air pressure in the intake. My guess is that you have the entire housing for the filter just a bit loose, and that the heat expansion is opening a gap that is allowing the box to buzz, but only when the throttle is open enough to let enough air to pass. Now, it could be another connection, like the intake hose to the box or the throttle body, or it could be a crak in the hose somewhere, but that bottle sort of resonance usually means that the air is blowing perpendicular to the resonating volume. So, I'm guessing that the intake setup is loose at the connection where air gets in from the side of the engine compartment.

DavieGravy 06-27-2003 02:51 PM

Thanks very much for you help maximvsv.

I didn't notice any cracks in the hose that goes form the intake box to the engine, although I couldn't remove the engine cover as the aftermarket clips I put in were being stubborn. Anyway, I dont' think it has cracks in it.

Additionally, I removed the housing (lower portion of the box) and checked the hose that runs into it from the side of the engine compartment. I didn't notice any cracks in this hose either when feeling around/looking inside it. I also didn't notice any cracks in the box itself. And the box (before I removed it) seemed like it was sitting firmly in place.

Could the rubber (that's part of the lower portion of the box) that surrounds the hole that the hose (from the side of the engine) fits into be the problem? Does this rubber surrounding get worn over time thus allowing air to seep through?

Also, how tight do the bolts need to be that hold the box in place and attach the intake hose to the box? I didn't want to overtighten them and crack the plastic.

Thanks again.

benebob 06-27-2003 02:52 PM

Howling sound

Sounds like a gremblin to me.

DavieGravy 06-27-2003 10:16 PM

It still did it a bit today off and on.

maximvsv 07-24-2003 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DavieGravy
...Also, how tight do the bolts need to be that hold the box in place and attach the intake hose to the box? I didn't want to overtighten them and crack the plastic.
I don't know. I'm sure there's something with torque specs on it, but I don't have any assembly manual or the like.

LarryIII 07-24-2003 04:58 AM

MAxim,

Let the werewolf out of the trunk. He has to go. :D :D

DavieGravy 07-24-2003 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by maximvsv

I don't know. I'm sure there's something with torque specs on it, but I don't have any assembly manual or the like.

Thanks. I think it's sitting in there OK now.

maximvsv 07-25-2003 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
MAxim,

Let the werewolf out of the trunk. He has to go. :D :D

I can't. I'm allergic to dogs.

Besides, he shoulda' gone before we left...

oab_au 07-26-2003 05:49 PM

The dogs of war!

Dave, from your description it sounds like the sound is occurring when the exhaust gas re circulator is operating. You might check the little pipe that runs up to the inlet manifold.

Harvey. ;)

DavieGravy 07-26-2003 11:56 PM

Thanks for the advice Harvey as the sound is still there. It seems louder on some occasions than others. (quite random)

Please forgive my ignorance but I must ask; Where's the inlet manifold and exactly where would the pipe run from? I assume from the bottom of the car up to the engine but I'm kind of car stupid.