The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Started Student Teaching (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40590)

TomsSVX 09-04-2007 02:19 PM

Started Student Teaching

Well today was the first day in which I was required to appear at a high school in which I was not a student:eek: Seems like only yesterday I wasin one myself and now I am going to be instructing the upcomming youth:D Snicker as we may, I am very excited about the opportunity to help develope the minds and lives of young people and I am glad that the ice is broken after months of anxiety awaiting this. Unfortunately I quit my job in order to have enough hours in the day, so that means money is gonna be tight (yeah, this was the reason I was gonna sell the silver). Instead I am going to continue to keep the garage doors open on the weekends and hopefully I won't hit too much trouble along the way. I have fall back funding arrainged but I am going to try and avoid spending it. Im excited!!!:D

Tom

Crazy_pilot 09-04-2007 03:53 PM

Ah high school...:rolleyes:

Kidding aside, having a chance to teach young(er) people is a great experience. My summer job for the past few years has been as a flight instructor for Air Cadets. I teach 16-18 year olds how to fly gliders (motorless airplanes), and in 6 weeks get them from basic knowledge to giving them their glider pilot's license.

It's an awesome feeling knowing you've given someone something that will be with them for the rest of their lives.

Noir 09-04-2007 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 491173)
Well today was the first day in which I was required to appear at a high school in which I was not a student:eek: Im excited!!!:D

Tom

Well you know what they say about highschool girls.......

We know why you REALLY went back. ;) :eek: :lol:

Manarius 09-04-2007 05:18 PM

Glad to see another educator around here! I'm Math Ed and I guess I'll be student teaching next year.

TomsSVX 09-04-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir (Post 491223)
Well you know what they say about highschool girls.......

We know why you REALLY went back. ;) :eek: :lol:

Whats that?? I keep getting older and they stay the same age?:p:p

Yeah heard that alot.

Manarius Good luck... Math is a tough topic to teach esp. when you have to try and convince them they will use it in their lives

Tom

mikecg 09-04-2007 05:45 PM

Las Vegas is really hurting for High School teachers. It's what the girl freind is studying to be. The substitues out here are pretty much working full time, the shortage is so bad.

Hocrest 09-04-2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 491231)
... Math is a tough topic to teach esp. when you have to try and convince them they will use it in their lives...

I use math everyday... when do I get to use what I learned in history class??? :p:p :D

TomsSVX 09-04-2007 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 491238)
I use math everyday... when do I get to use what I learned in history class??? :p:p :D

its called learning from other's mistakes my friend:):p

Tom

TomsSVX 09-04-2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecg (Post 491236)
Las Vegas is really hurting for High School teachers. It's what the girl freind is studying to be. The substitues out here are pretty much working full time, the shortage is so bad.

whats the pay like out there?? also include cost of living versus on the east coast... may think about it once I am done

Tom

SVXRide 09-04-2007 06:34 PM

God help the youth of Pennsylvania:eek: (j/k!!). As the son of two life-long school teachers, I can honestly say you've entered a vastly underpaid career that pays dividends until the day you check out of this physical existence.:cool:
Best of luck!
-Bill

ensteele 09-04-2007 06:37 PM

Good luck Tom. That should be a fun time. It is always exciting to start a new year. I couldn't sleep last night because I started the new school year today as well. Great group of students who are excited to learn. It is very rewarding to see how much they benefit from the day to day experiences and education. :)

TomsSVX 09-04-2007 06:38 PM

thanks guys... the encouragement goes a long way. I have such a heavy load off my shoulders now that my questions and concerns are basically answered

Tom

Tim 09-04-2007 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 491241)
whats the pay like out there?? also include cost of living versus on the east coast... may think about it once I am done

Tom

What the eff? :mad:

Who's going to work on my car?! You have to stay! :D

SSSVX 09-04-2007 08:40 PM

"It's Better to Build Boys than mend Men"

Congrats to your new experience and you have the good responsibility there.:)

JaySVX 09-06-2007 05:10 AM

Best of luck to you Tom. It's a rough industry from what I hear. With any luck, my auto repairs/enhancements should be more than enough to keep you afloat!