The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tranny again....Help (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27998)

PaulSVX 08-22-2005 03:19 PM

Tranny again....Help

Just started driving my SVX after front diff replacemnet, diff seems fine, but there is another problem with tranny shifting Crazy, when I'm doing 50 km/h (31 mph) it is shifting back and fourth,from 3rd to 2nd ( I think) same with 80 Km/h (50mph) Goes from 4th to 3rd, and even to 2nd, with high RPM,unless I step on the gas then it goes no problem. Is it a tranny going? , or something else? Seems like it only does it at the constant speeds...wired

Please help. any sugestions will be appreciated.

immortal_suby 08-22-2005 05:44 PM

Check the transmission fluid level and do the brake band adjustment and see if that helps any. Let us know what happens.

Also try putting the gear selector in 2 and manual mode button pushed in and step on the gas and see if the rpm increase matches the speed.
Do the same with the selector in 3 (try not to get a speeding ticket)
Let us know if it slips there. (if it does that is not good.)

oab_au 08-22-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulSVX
Just started driving my SVX after front diff replacemnet, diff seems fine, but there is another problem with tranny shifting Crazy, when I'm doing 50 km/h (31 mph) it is shifting back and fourth,from 3rd to 2nd ( I think) same with 80 Km/h (50mph) Goes from 4th to 3rd, and even to 2nd, with high RPM,unless I step on the gas then it goes no problem. Is it a tranny going? , or something else? Seems like it only does it at the constant speeds...wired

Please help. any sugestions will be appreciated.

I doubt that it is in the gear box. :) The things that would cause it to shift gears are the Throttle Position Sensor, and the Speed sensor on the front diff.

As the box has been out, I would check all the plugs that would have been un-pluged then. Pull the plugs apart, check the pins and sockets, to see if any have been bent and plug them together again.

Harvey. ;)

Earthworm 08-22-2005 06:43 PM

I second checking the TPS :)

PaulSVX 08-23-2005 03:44 PM

Thanks guys for your input, I talk to my mechanic, and he also indicated that it may be TPS problem. My next question is how to check the TPS sensor to confirm that is no finctioning properly. I check the Voltage and adjust it accordingly. It was .33V, but the problem is still there. The problem always occur when i want to keep the constant speed, When the car is pulling it changes the gears properly

Thanks Again

Earthworm 08-23-2005 04:45 PM

It's not just an adjustment...the TPS may be giving a dirty reading. Imagine the volume on an old stereo that when you touch it you hear huge amounts of static in the speakers.

PaulSVX 08-24-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
It's not just an adjustment...the TPS may be giving a dirty reading. Imagine the volume on an old stereo that when you touch it you hear huge amounts of static in the speakers.

Yep, back then I used "after shave" on my electric guitar pots to get rid of the static. :)

Is cleanning of the TPS sensor, a permament solution?
guess it would only be temporary.

Earthworm 08-24-2005 12:29 PM

I've never had to clean mine so I don't have an answer for you unfortunately.