The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Removing window coating (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53504)

Paulrio74 03-19-2010 11:45 AM

Removing window coating

I tried to search, didn't get any hits. It seems the consensus is that the titanium dioxide is a coating on the inside of the windshield. Has anyone tried, or have a guess, if it could be ground/polished off? I'd like to make a little radar "window" on the window. Any thoughts? My glass is good, not interested in replacing it with a non coated one. If there aren't too many you're an idiot there's no point replies, I'll try it and give a result update.

Freeman 03-19-2010 11:56 AM

Re: Removing window coating

I always thought it was just built into the windshield. :confused:

Green1995SVX 03-19-2010 12:23 PM

I believe it's part of the lamination between two layers of glass.

Blacky 03-19-2010 01:34 PM

Don't a lot of radar detectors work even with the coating?

Freeman 03-19-2010 01:45 PM

I was pretty sure they still work regardless.

Paulrio74 03-19-2010 01:59 PM

Mine doesn't, at least well enough to trust. I'm looking at another, but I want to test if this could be a simple fix. Everyone seems to refer to it as a "coating" on the net. I figure a bit of polish is worth finding out. It would likely be either above the vin or behind the mirror, both of which I don't need to see out if it goes poorly. Which, I figure there is at least a 50% chance of. :lol:

edit to add: curious to the effects on gps as well.

Freeman 03-19-2010 02:51 PM

GPS effects are 0%. be that it's from a standard housed unit or a cell phone. You can "scrub" or "polish" all you want but again, I'm pretty sure it's "inside" the windshield.

Tim 03-19-2010 03:07 PM

It does have an effect on the GPS when it comes to first acquiring a signal and driving between larger buildings. The older units have a lot more issues, and the one I tested years ago with a decibel readout on signal strength showed a noticeable loss. It's usually not something I notice,but some parts of manhattan will give me a weak signal warning when it's sitting on the dash.

SoCal LS-L 03-19-2010 04:24 PM

Im not sure the TiO2 would have any effect on radar signals... which are usually 10-35Ghz...... much longer wavelength than UV. Visible light passes thru the windshield just fine obviously, and radar signals are much further down the spectrum.

Paulrio74 03-19-2010 04:48 PM

I'm getting ahead of myself, but, I've always been one to see physical effects myself when possible. I know a couple of cops through work, so if I go through with this, I will try to get some radar data on the range effects, or if my detector is just a pos. Also gps startup times. It will be completely unscientific or repeatable for others, but why not? I'm an information junkie.

This really stems from my desire to use a valentine 1. My buddy has one I might be able to test with. I can put the unit in the grill and use the remote display, but then I lose backwards/360 detection. I'm unwilling to spend the big bucks to get a detachable front and back sensor model. So I'm back to around the rear view mirror. My current detector (a bell ?, came with the car) worked a little at first, but now make so little noise ever, I stopped paying attention. I just see if it does anything when I go by the radar stands. I try to use my cruise control, except when passing. I would like to know not to pass when it is safe, but patrolled.

Anyway, good discussion so far, thank you all. Keep it going.

edit: it does work when I hold it out the window or sunroof, but that draws a little attention and my arm gets tired.

SVXdc 03-21-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulrio74 (Post 638891)
it does work when I hold it out the window or sunroof, but that draws a little attention and my arm gets tired.

You could make a fake dog's head to stick out the window or sunroof with the detector hidden inside...

:lol: