The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Parts Interchangeability - FWD axles (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18886)

lee 05-25-2004 06:23 PM

Parts Interchangeability - FWD axles

Last week I replaced the left front axle on my car. When I went to my local Advance Auto Parts (cheap & lifetime warranty) they had the FWD SVX axle in stock, but had to order the AWD version.

Now I'm wondering what else the FWD axle fits as the manager can't remember ever selling SVX parts except to me - I have AWD - so why would it have been stocked unless it interchanges with ???

newsvx 05-25-2004 06:57 PM

Re: Parts Interchangeability - FWD axles

Quote:

Originally posted by lee
Last week I replaced the left front axle on my car. When I went to my local Advance Auto Parts (cheap & lifetime warranty) they had the FWD SVX axle in stock, but had to order the AWD version.

Now I'm wondering what else the FWD axle fits as the manager can't remember ever selling SVX parts except to me - I have AWD - so why would it have been stocked unless it interchanges with ???

Lee,
I have heard that the FWD and AWD front axles are, in fact, interchangable, but I can not verify that. The story I heard was that they (FWD abd AWD) are also different, in that the FWD axles are heavier (thicker) than the AWD, because the are taking twice the power of the AWD considering the front to rear spit at times. Kinda makes sense, even knowing that running down the road with no load, there is the 90 / 10 front/rear split.

Anyone out there actually compared the two axles side by side? I have the two axles from the old '94 FWD I had (was totaled) before, in the basement. I think I will hang on to them even though I have an AWD now.

Harry

SVXer95 05-25-2004 06:59 PM

I would be more interested, and I think Lee is thinking along these lines too, about what other cars the axles are interchangeable with. I am willing to bet, that if you order them for another car, but get the same part, the price will be cheaper.

newsvx 05-25-2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
I would be more interested, and I think Lee is thinking along these lines too, about what other cars the axles are interchangeable with. I am willing to bet, that if you order them for another car, but get the same part, the price will be cheaper.
Good point. I misread the posting.

Harry

lee 05-25-2004 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
Yes, I'm thinking the axle has to fit something else or why would they stock it. BTW, I've been going into this same parts store for over a decade so they know me and my cars - and know they're not selling to other SVX owners.

But, unfortunately in this day of computer part look-up, they have lost cross reference listings.

Locally, Advance Auto sells the FWD axles at $49.99 and the AWD axles at $59.99. By my way of thinking, if the FWD axle is "beefier" and presumably rarer (more AWD SVXs than FWD), then the price would likely be higher for FWD - unless some other vehicle is contributing to the market.

svxsubaru1 05-25-2004 09:53 PM

Maybe the another sube. Probley a legacy. Subaru is one of the only companies that uses equal lengh half shafts.