The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   WRX steering rack fitment (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63689)

Billsy 10-10-2015 09:08 PM

WRX steering rack fitment

Hi Guys,

Has anyone managed to fit a WRX steering rack into an svx?

I want to put a short ratio sti-ra rack in. and the search has not come up with much.

SVXRide 10-10-2015 09:35 PM

Re: WRX steering rack fitment

You'd be the first!:cool:

Bill

Billsy 10-10-2015 09:46 PM

is that because it requires alot of fabrication or doesnt actually fit for one reason or another.

Ive got the choice of CG8 and later GDB racks, which are slightly different.
ill be able to compare once i pick up the racks i spose.

SVXRide 10-10-2015 10:28 PM

no one has had a pressing reason to. have you compared the ratio of the WRX rack to the speed and rpm-sensitive SVX racks?

Billsy 10-11-2015 02:21 AM

i wasnt aware there are different ratio racks, and given theres only 250ish of these sold in aus, it makes parts very hard to get/expensive. but ill look into whats available.
the rack in it is 3.2 turns lock to lock. and i want to use this car for some motorkhana and hillclimb runs.

the sti-ra rack in my Legacy is 2.2 and that makes a world of difference.

the svx rack is also leaking, so it needs to come out anyway for seals if theres no way to make the WRX rack fit.

SVXRide 10-11-2015 10:06 AM

Bingo! The faster rack is why it's worth figuring out how to make it work!!:cool:

I'll help as much as I can from States side, as I'd love to be able to swap the faster racks into my SVX race cars 😎

First off, you'll need to compare the lengths of the racks to make sure we don't have a geometry problem. Fabricating mounting brackets is just a matter of making an accurate drawing and finding a good fabricator. My guess is that we'll also need to get new high pressure and low pressure lines made. Any good hydraulics shop should be able to handle this.

Please post photos of your progress!

Cheers
Bill

Crazy_pilot 10-11-2015 11:37 AM

I've given it a small amount of thought. The mounts for the WRX rack are quite a bit different from the SVX ones. The SVX rack is basically held in at two points by strap clamps but the WRX one has one side bolted to the subframe. You would need to do some experimental cutting and welding on the subframe to make mounting points.

I didn't get into looking to see if the tie rods are compatible. You would want to use our outer ends which have an arc to clear the wheel, instead of the WRX ones which are straight. The other interface that matters is the steering coupler spline. There are ways around it but it would be ideal if our steering column matched the WRX rack without having to make adapters or anything like that.

Billsy 10-11-2015 04:50 PM

ill report back as i make progress, throughout the years there are several WRX rack mounting options, so earlier and later years give more options.

the svx looks similar to GC8 mounting from my head under car initial look last night.
the lines do look like theyll need to be re done, but thats the easy part.

when i pickup the racks ill throw it up on the hoist and have a proper look.
Hopefully its a relatively easy thing to do, but if you guys havent done it yet its probably gonna be difficult.