The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   After ten years of trying (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42692)

Ricochet 01-08-2008 08:53 PM

After ten years of trying

I finally got hired on with CSX railroad as a conductor. I've been showing up to the applicant sessions since right outta highschool and finally got the phone call today. And no, the job isn't some guy in a goofy outfit who says "all aboard," I'll be inspecting/riding on freight trains raking in some good money and loving life.

subi-crosser 01-08-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet (Post 520077)
I finally got hired on with CSX railroad as a conductor. I've been showing up to the applicant sessions since right outta highschool and finally got the phone call today. And no, the job isn't some guy in a goofy outfit who says "all aboard," I'll be inspecting/riding on freight trains raking in some good money and loving life.

SEX railroad conducted a job fair here last fall. There were 135 people sitting at the first meeting. When the Piss test was mentioned, 70 of the 'applicants' left! Next was the 'aptitude' test....another 45 were eliminated. Then there was the 'physical', the other things that seperate the 'wheat from the chaff'.... The guys that were sent to Atlanta were numbered (1 through 6)!!! 135 applicants, SIX went to school!!!

CONGRATS!!!! The few! The PROUD!! The guys that can PASS an 'aptitude' TEST!!! ( and a DRUG screen!!!)

sicksubie 01-08-2008 09:07 PM

Nice..... That is what I wanted to do when I was younger.... I had a model train layout and everything.. But then the whole financial world tempted me and I fell for her...... Is it really that good of pay? Although that wouldnt matter to me as I think it would be cool so be around the SD90MAC's, SD80MAC's, SD40-2's, etc etc

Ricochet 01-08-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 520081)
Nice..... That is what I wanted to do when I was younger.... I had a model train layout and everything.. But then the whole financial world tempted me and I fell for her...... Is it really that good of pay? Although that wouldnt matter to me as I think it would be cool so be around the SD90MAC's, SD80MAC's, SD40-2's, etc etc

I'm single with no kids.. Let's just say after 2-3 years I'll have a LOT of very cool toys :cool:

SUBBYRU89 01-08-2008 09:51 PM

Determination pays off. Congrats! [~]3

ensteele 01-08-2008 11:18 PM

Congratulations! All aboard! :lol: :lol: :lol:

wawazat?? 01-09-2008 04:57 PM

something something pull a train something something

:lol:

Congratulations on the new jerb

JaySVX 01-10-2008 11:31 AM

Wow, after reading the subject topic, I thought you were going to say you were pregnant.

Congrats on the job!

CigarJohnny 01-10-2008 12:39 PM

Congratulations, Brian! I always thought, and still do, that would be an awesome job to have. I envy you! ;-) To satisfy my curiosity, what does one have to go through to prepare for such a position? Not that I will ever change careers at this point in my life but I have always wanted to know.

:woo: (seemed appropriate :D)

RSVX 01-10-2008 01:27 PM

Chugga chugga chugga CHOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

bwb3 01-10-2008 02:25 PM

Congrats! Do you get to wear one of those blue and white striped hats? And carry a club to beat off hobo's?
Gene

svxcess 01-10-2008 02:35 PM

Who here remembers "Choo-Choo Charlie?

Choo-Choo Charlie was a cartoon character featured in Good & Plenty television advertisements in the LATE 50s and 60s, a juvenile train conductor who used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.

Shaking these licorice candies, which were pink and white coated capsules, inside their cardboard box, gave a distinctive sound...

goodnplentygoodnplentygoodnplentygoodnplenty :D

RSVX 01-10-2008 03:10 PM

Will you be travelling on these trains?

There is a CSX Stop about a mile from my house :-)

JaySVX 01-10-2008 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 520427)

Choo-Choo Charlie was a cartoon character featured in Good & Plenty television advertisements in the LATE 50s and 60s, a juvenile train conductor who used Good & Plenty candy to make his train run.

Shaking these licorice candies, which were pink and white coated capsules, inside their cardboard box, gave a distinctive sound...

While I am not of natural age to remember that, I do somehow recall it... Maybe it was because i was watching a television from the 50's.

subi-crosser 01-10-2008 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 520427)

Worse yet, the days when all you got was the pieces to stick into a real potato in your "Mr. Potato Head" box!!