The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   need STi engine info.. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14458)

alacrity024 11-16-2003 04:29 PM

need STi engine info..

in the book "You and Your Subaru Impreza Turbo," the author states that all STi engines were "blueprinted from the factory" which i assume means they were machined to closer tolerances.. is this true of the new STi's?

-adam

drivemusicnow 11-16-2003 10:55 PM

what i know of the definition of blueprinting is just taking all of the measurements of an engine (block) before its been put together. like creating a blueprint of that SPECIFIC engine. this is usually done to catch any machining errors before you start trying to build it up

huck369 11-17-2003 05:13 AM

My understanding of blueprinting an engine is all the rotating parts are balanced, and all the ports are matched to each other, so there are no rough places in the intake or exhaust tracts, to increase airflow.

ww111 11-17-2003 07:27 AM

Blue printing is measuring all printed specs (mainly bearings, bearing journals, pistons, rings, and bores) to catch possible machining problems.

Balancing is making sure all reciprocating parts and assemblies weigh the same and that rotating parts are statically and dynamically "balanced" (I hate to use the word in the definition but you know)

Porting is smoothing the and machining (primarily) the intake runners to equalize and maximize flow.

Polishing is (yes) polishing the intake runners to reduce surface friction of the air / mixture flow. There is a school of thought that maintains that good laminar flow is NOT improved with a mirror finish.

Port matching is making sure the transitions between the components of the intake are minimized, head to intake, intake to throttle body, etc.

Balancing and blue printing will net you exactly stock horsepower, and are generally done as a reliability tool. From what I've heard about the SVX engine, until you're doing cams and injectors, the port, polish and port matching won't get you much.

Collins

alacrity024 11-17-2003 10:47 AM

cool..

it seems like blueprinting an engine is essential if you want to run it for sustained periods at high rpms..

so does anyone know if the new STi motors are blueprinted? in the past, all STi motors have had a red finish on their intake runners. does the new STi have the same finish?

-adam

Landshark 11-17-2003 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
cool..

it seems like blueprinting an engine is essential if you want to run it for sustained periods at high rpms..

so does anyone know if the new STi motors are blueprinted? in the past, all STi motors have had a red finish on their intake runners. does the new STi have the same finish?

-adam

yep.

GreenMarine 11-17-2003 02:06 PM

I think that his answer "yep" was to the color of the intake manifolds... If it is then Yep:D :cool: They are red, same as last years and the year before and so on... Oh that's right, you people here in America wouldn't know about that now would ya??? :D:D:cool::)

Landshark 11-17-2003 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
I think that his answer "yep" was to the color of the intake manifolds... If it is then Yep:D :cool: They are red, same as last years and the year before and so on... Oh that's right, you people here in America wouldn't know about that now would ya??? :D:D:cool::)
yeah, yep to the color of the intake, blueprinting i'm not sure about. (i forgot to trim the quote. :o )

oab_au 11-17-2003 03:57 PM

Aussie testers do it harder.

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Aussies get it first, about 4 years ago. If it survives here it will survive anywhere.:D We tested :rolleyes: the WRX for about 6 years before they let it loose over there.:D

Harvey.;)