The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Supercharged Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   ECUTune Stage III twin screw supercharger sign up (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25555)

longassname 04-14-2005 01:39 AM

ECUTune Stage III twin screw supercharger sign up

The Stage III twin screw supercharger system prototype has been fabricated and is now operational. We are now looking to manufacture the first production run with a batch size of 4 systems. Details of the system development can be found in a thread in these forums at http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21344 Orders can be placed on the ECUtune website at http://www.ecutune.com/svx-stage3.htm

From the feedback we've recieved our current mindset is that the system should be released with a 3 inch pulley generating 6 to 7 lbs of boost. This seems to be the natural ballance where the engine with it's current compression ratio will generate the most power with the most efficiency. The 1600ax supercharger used in the system features only a 1 hp parasitic loss at cruise which means that highway fuel consumption will remain for the most part unchanged despite the ability to generate %40-%50 more power whenever the accelerator is pushed. Since it is a positive displacement system the power is there whenever the pedal is pushed so that true on the street performance and drivability gains are there not just peak hp dyno #'s.

The engine management included with the system has room to grow with the expectation that in the future race minded people will build engines with closed deck blocks and lower compression ratios. We can help anyone interested in doing this. The supercharger is also capable of producing lots of "boost" on an engine which is built for it. The svx engine is for the most part rock solid and can easily built for specificalliy for more boost although the parts to do so are all custom orders.

This thread is for those actually interested in ordering. If you are interested in a system please post your desires and questions here so that we can develop and produce exactly what you want. If you do not genuinely expect to be ordering one of the first 4 systems please utilize a seperate thread and refrain from participating in this one.

Those with obdII SVXii who are interested please join in. You will need to contact me directly before ordering but we will handle your orders as well.

mbtoloczko 04-14-2005 11:58 AM

I'm interested, but I need to know much more. I don't want to buy the system, install it, and then find that the car rocks the world at WOT but runs poorly at part-throttle everyday driving. I would also like to know exactly what parts (where applicable, including brand) will be included in the kit. If you could start with the parts list that would be great. As you work on optimizing the system, any info you can post about driveability would be appreciated. Warranty info (manufacturing, driveability) is also important for me. Thanks.

longassname 04-14-2005 12:24 PM

I'm working on getting the info up on the website today....might as well put it here too :)

Major components of kit:

1) ECUtune memory adaptor and SVX Stage III software
2) ECUtune manifold
3) ECUtune throttle body adaptor
4) ECUtune hard fuel lines
5) ECUtune alternator brackets
6) ECUtune tensioner
7) ECUtune power steering / idler bracket
8) ECUtune AC idler pulley
9) ECUtune throttle body/bypass valve plate
10) Dayco power steering idler pulley
11) Dayco tensioner pulley
12) Whipple 1600AX supercharger
13) Whipple drive snout
14) Whipple bypass valve
15) NISMO SR20 740cc fuel injectors
16) Tomei fuel injector clips
17) Nissan maf meter (used)
18) Tomei Nissan maf meter plug
19) Walboro 255lph fuel pump
20) Outlaw engeneering phenolic spacers
21) Supercharger / power steering belt (Gates or Dayco)
22) AC / alternator belt (Gates or Dayco)
23) Bypass valve hose (Gates or Dayco)

longassname 04-14-2005 12:33 PM

Every day driving is exactly what the positive displacement supercharger excels at. The power is there whenever you press the pedal. How much power? However far you press the pedal.

mbtoloczko 04-14-2005 03:05 PM

Smooth idle? No off-idle hesitation? No flat spots/hesitation/surging in the powerband during part throttle acceleration?

longassname 04-14-2005 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Smooth idle? No off-idle hesitation? No flat spots/hesitation/surging in the powerband during part throttle acceleration?

I don't have the 3" pulley I'm going to release the system with yet so I'm not ready to answer those questions definitively. I don't expect any problems but I'm not one to make unbased claims.

Da'Cheat 04-15-2005 08:37 PM

At a local subaru meeting here, it was said that this kit would be one hell'ova deal. The kit costs less than the down payment on a wrx :) So for that, get twice the car than the wrx would ever be!

I'm taking out a loan to finish my current truck project. I really thinking about upping that loan by 4kl to make my car kick some butt.

Are there any expected problems with the install? Things that would make your average wrench, scratch his head for an hour wondering where this extra bolt went, sorta thing.

I am VERY interested in this system.
I would like to get some solid numbers when you put that 3" pulley on.

Is there any chance of blowing out a cylinder wall with 7lbs of forced induction?
Will this shorten the life of my engine? *never mind the fact that my foot will be to the floor all the time. Its like that currently*

Lastly, does this system come with any sort of warranty?

longassname 04-15-2005 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da'Cheat
At a local subaru meeting here, it was said that this kit would be one hell'ova deal. The kit costs less than the down payment on a wrx :) So for that, get twice the car than the wrx would ever be!

I'm taking out a loan to finish my current truck project. I really thinking about upping that loan by 4kl to make my car kick some butt.

Are there any expected problems with the install? Things that would make your average wrench, scratch his head for an hour wondering where this extra bolt went, sorta thing.

I am VERY interested in this system.
I would like to get some solid numbers when you put that 3" pulley on.

Is there any chance of blowing out a cylinder wall with 7lbs of forced induction?
Will this shorten the life of my engine? *never mind the fact that my foot will be to the floor all the time. Its like that currently*

Lastly, does this system come with any sort of warranty?

Hmmm, no can't offer any warranties or guarantees on performance equipment; you'll get the standard no liablity disclaimer. You just have to look at the quality of our past products and the work displayed in the development thread and decide for yourself your level of comfort and confidence you'll get a quality product.

I don't think the install should be too bad. You'll get the benefits of my having done it and being able to make up directions saying what order to do things in. Personally I would split it up into a couple seperate weekend projects. I would take one weekend to do the engine management. Install the fuel pump one day and make sure that works. Then install the fuel injectors, maf meter, and software the next day and make sure that works. It's good to split things up like that so if you make a mistake and botch something you know where to look for it and can quickly fix it. Knowing you have the engine management working correctly then you can take a day the next weekend to install the supercharger system.

mikecg 04-16-2005 01:57 PM

Do I really need to sign up of one?? Shame I cant afford a second one, I'd put it on the 92 5-speed when I finish the tranny. :D

longassname 04-16-2005 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecg
Do I really need to sign up of one?? Shame I cant afford a second one, I'd put it on the 92 5-speed when I finish the tranny. :D

lol

and other stuff to make 10+ characters

mikecg 04-17-2005 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longassname
lol

and other stuff to make 10+ characters

HUH????????????

longassname 04-17-2005 02:49 AM

I got it in me to do a little tinkering tonight. I've got it running awfully nicely with 9 lbs of boost now. It'll spin the front tires as it starts out at the 90/10 split with anything more than 3/4 throttle. For those of you that don't know I'm running 8 inch wide wheels with 255 series tires so we're doing pretty well to be able to spin them. I also have the idle cleaned up so that it is now idling strictly off the idle air bypass valves without the throttle cables holding the butterflies open at all. There is no shuffling or surging or anything like that. There is however a good amount of blower rattle. From what I've heard from people I know that have upgraded to twin screw blowers on their lightnings this may just be the nature of the beast. If you run high boost the blower rattles at idle. I guess there just isn't enough air to keep the blower full. I'll check with whipple though and see if maybe improving the bypass valve set up can quiet things down.

mbtoloczko 04-17-2005 10:52 AM

Since there's no way to add any sort of intercooler with your SC setup, have you thought about add a water injection system? There would probably be no need to pull back any timing, and you could move the a/f ratio closer to the maximum power afr. The simplest systems will trigger at a user-settable boost level and inject a constant amount of water. Even with a simple system like that, I'd bet that you could get another 30-40 HP at 9 psi.

I'd guess that you don't want to add any more cost to the system, but since your system doesn't have any user-accessible knobs on the ECU for tweaking timing and afr, it would be nice to see your system ship with something that addresses heat and is tuned to take advantage of the reduced intake charge temperatures and better burn control.

Here's a place that has very reasonably priced systems:

http://www.coolingmist.com/

longassname 04-17-2005 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
Since there's no way to add any sort of intercooler with your SC setup, have you thought about add a water injection system? There would probably be no need to pull back any timing, and you could move the a/f ratio closer to the maximum power afr. The simplest systems will trigger at a user-settable boost level and inject a constant amount of water. Even with a simple system like that, I'd bet that you could get another 30-40 HP at 9 psi.

I'd guess that you don't want to add any more cost to the system, but since your system doesn't have any user-accessible knobs on the ECU for tweaking timing and afr, it would be nice to see your system ship with something that addresses heat and is tuned to take advantage of the reduced intake charge temperatures and better burn control.

Here's a place that has very reasonably priced systems:

http://www.coolingmist.com/

I haven't pulled out a huge amount of timing or greatly richened the afr. Thanks to the high efficiency of the twin screw charger the intake charge isn't all that hot. Cooler is better but I don't want to tune anything so that if a water bottle goes empty you get detonation. The car still has timing advance routines and if you were to install a water injection system of your own and it was much benefit the software would be able to take advantage of it.

I can't say for sure yet if I'd recomend 9 lbs or 6-7 on the stock engine. I think at this point though that the decision is likely to be based on if you want a quiet idle or blower rattle at idle. I think the tuning of 9 lbs on the stock motor will likely work out.

longassname 04-17-2005 03:12 PM

I'm not a big fan of the vacuum solenoids being under the manifold. The only reason i kept them there is so that the plugs on the engine harness would reach them. I've got to tell you after 10 years of age these engine harnesses aren't anything precious to be afraid of cutting. What do you guys think of making a mounting bracket to put the solenoids somewhere more accessible and extending the wires. It'll make installation a lot easier and stop you from scratching up your hands putting them where they don't really fit.