The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mod Update (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11096)

marlettpat 06-01-2003 08:05 AM

Mod Update

Ok, first off i need to complain about silverstar headlights. I cant see anything when its wet outside. I dont recall regular headlights bein like this....anyways, heres a list of my mods to date

-Silver Star Low Beam Headlights
-Interior Strobes under the dash
-K&N drop-in filter
-Blue Lights on my grill (Ill post pictures in my locker soon:))
-2 8W3's JL (not yet installed)

its small so far, but i want it to get bigger. Any suggestions?

Tim 06-01-2003 08:48 AM

Sounds good.

Good thing I didn't get the Silverstars I never noticed the difference on my sister's maxima. Did you drill holes in your grille? I'm curious to see that mod. Your mods sound pretty good so far though got any pics of your car in general?:)

Earthworm 06-01-2003 09:48 AM

That's the first negative thing I've heard about the Silverstars. I was just about to go buy a set today! (One of my headlights burned out a couple days ago)

So is it back to Cool Blues? What do you suggest?

Landshark 06-01-2003 09:50 AM

i love the Silverstars, and we've had enough rain here lately that i'm thinking of building an ark. i have the clear headlights, but that doesn't really make a difference for the low beams. are yours adjusted right? i really think they were a big improvement over the stock bulbs, even when its wet.

Tim 06-01-2003 12:57 PM

The 9006 Silverstars and coolblues put out 1000 lumens but just burn at a different color temperature. Does color temperature really make a difference?

Earthworm 06-01-2003 01:12 PM

What does a regular/OEM bulb put out? The same?

If I could I'd find some overwatt bulbs...more power, nothing fancy.

Tim 06-01-2003 03:12 PM

I'm not actually sure. I just read the specs on the Sylvania webpage.

elninoalex 06-01-2003 05:01 PM

PIAA

Go with PIAAs. I've had mine for almost 3 years now in low beam and fogs with no burnouts. Nice and white. A little spendy, but oh well.

Stephen

marlettpat 06-01-2003 08:17 PM

ok, sorry its takin me so long to reply. first line of business....
TE1221 - i have some pix of my car in my locker. The lights are small enough to fit thru the holes, so i have them stickin out and they are on by a nut and washer. I really need to dull them and paint because the chrome looks bad. But the blue lights look phat at night. I have a pic i think that shows the placement of the bulb, but i wanna try to get a pic that shows them illuminated, but thats not too easy.

I guess my lights arent adjusted right, but who knows. They work well in the dark but i dont like them in wet roads. BUT they look really good when your looking at them....

oh, and AHHHHHH my one strobe light in my dash stopped working. It looks so dumb cuz only one works.....

Tim 06-01-2003 08:29 PM

I have the same problem at night in the rain where it feels like your lights arent even on. During dry nights my lights are amazing (they're stock bulbs). I'm probably gonna try those Eurolite DOT approved Xenon plasma ones.

RSVX 06-02-2003 06:34 AM

Re: PIAA

Quote:

Originally posted by elninoalex
Go with PIAAs. I've had mine for almost 3 years now in low beam and fogs with no burnouts. Nice and white. A little spendy, but oh well.

Stephen

I too have the same setup, and I have had no problems since say... just before Reading I...

Chicane 06-02-2003 11:43 AM

I have the Sylvania Cool Blues "ghost in your machine" bulbs and I haven't had that problem. :) I'm very happy with a cheaper and superior product. :p

- Rob

Subafreak 06-02-2003 06:46 PM

Personally on both my Legacy and my SVX you can't see the lines in the road when it rains. So on the SVX I just use the fog lights and then I can see just fine, Isn't that why their there? On the Legacy I installed some cheap driving/fog lights to help out in the wet stuff. I don't really think the bulb matters, unless you have really stupid blue ones. The silverstars are pretty white from what I,v seen so I don't think they would cause a problem.

svxeno 06-02-2003 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark
i love the Silverstars, and we've had enough rain here lately that i'm thinking of building an ark. i have the clear headlights, but that doesn't really make a difference for the low beams. are yours adjusted right? i really think they were a big improvement over the stock bulbs, even when its wet.

I couldn't agree more. They're the first headlamp that I could really see an improvement in. Street legal anyway.

Randy ii

Green1995SVX 06-02-2003 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by TE1221
The 9006 Silverstars and coolblues put out 1000 lumens but just burn at a different color temperature. Does color temperature really make a difference?
They dont "burn" at a different color temp. Basically, with halogen lights, the lower the color temp, the brighter the light, however, the lower the temp, the more yellow the lights are. To get the higher color temp rating, the manufacturers add a colored coating to the bulbs outer surface, thus reducing its ultimate light output.

Mike