The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does a 5MT swap increase the resale? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64639)

Numbchux 07-06-2018 08:25 AM

Does a 5MT swap increase the resale?

I'm in the process of acquiring a nice, Red, '96 SVX that needs a transmission. I have a good '97 transmission....

I'd like to fix the car and drive it for awhile, but ultimately resell it. Does it seem like having a MT swap drives the price up, noticeably? From the craigslist pictures :rolleyes:, this car looks very nice, so there's a realistic possibility that it would pull buyers from a serious distance.

Sean486 07-06-2018 12:59 PM

Re: Does a 5MT swap increase the resale?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Numbchux (Post 748952)
I'm in the process of acquiring a nice, Red, '96 SVX that needs a transmission. I have a good '97 transmission....

I'd like to fix the car and drive it for awhile, but ultimately resell it. Does it seem like having a MT swap drives the price up, noticeably? From the craigslist pictures :rolleyes:, this car looks very nice, so there's a realistic possibility that it would pull buyers from a serious distance.

If you manual swap it, the 96 will always have the check engine light on.

I think the swap does increase the value, but less then you would typically spend doing it, maybe by about $1000

Numbchux 07-06-2018 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 748954)
If you manual swap it, the 96 will always have the check engine light on.

A Ha! That's what I forgot. If I were keeping it, that wouldn't bother me, but I hate explaining that it's OK to ignore a DTC when I'm selling a car...

That might be the straw that pushes me to keep it an auto. Thanks!

SVXMAN2001 07-06-2018 03:24 PM

No. The "value" of these cars is dismal. All the time, effort amd resources spent converting will eat up any profit you'd make in selling.

wdb 07-06-2018 03:29 PM

I paid more to get a manual gearbox. But I think the market these days is tending more towards originality. If it really is clean and relatively rust free it could bring a decent price at auction. There's one on bringatrailer.com right now that you might want to follow to get some idea of the market. Hagerty's price guide shows values on the upswing as well.

If you do opt for the manual, make sure it's a quality job. I'd love to see what a well done 5-speed WRX swap would bring on BaT!

Sean486 07-06-2018 04:50 PM

I think for me personally I do want a 5 speed or 6 speed more than anything else and would purchase for that higher price, especially if it was clean, rust free and still had good paint, ..but if it were a 96 or 97 I would want the autotrans to be in it.

Just seems to me that the 96 and especially the 97 deserve to be stock and with the "check engine light" issue it makes it so that it could be harder to pass inspection.