The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   new problems on my new car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2877)

SHISVX 02-24-2002 03:37 PM

new problems on my new car

i am not only computer stupid, but pretty car stupid. i fell in love with this svx and had to buy it. at first everything was perfect. now-the speedo don't-which is to be fixed soon, my driverside door will not unlock-even with the key-they tried to lubicate it(worked for a while and it just stopped again), some jerk desided that it would be a fun idea to rip my antena out-if i can't figure out how to fix it-i'll just cut it off-my check engine light comes on here and there-maybe an O2 sensor? i love this car and i want to keep it for a while. so if anyone can help, i would really appreshiate it.

wasions 02-24-2002 04:58 PM

Re: new problems on my new car

Quote:

Originally posted by SHISVX
i am not only computer stupid, but pretty car stupid. i fell in love with this svx and had to buy it. at first everything was perfect. now-the speedo don't-which is to be fixed soon, my driverside door will not unlock-even with the key-they tried to lubicate it(worked for a while and it just stopped again), some jerk desided that it would be a fun idea to rip my antena out-if i can't figure out how to fix it-i'll just cut it off-my check engine light comes on here and there-maybe an O2 sensor? i love this car and i want to keep it for a while. so if anyone can help, i would really appreshiate it.
Oh sure. You fell in love with it and just had to buy it. How many times have I heard that . (Believe me. I understand!)

What year is your SVX? I have a '95 without auto-locks, and in the winter, when it freezes, it can be a real b(ear). Even in nice weather, sometimes it's hard to find the right combination sometimes. Have you tried making a new key off your old one? That might work. About the antenna - I'm glad I don't live in Joisey. Any after-market stereo dealer should be able to fix you up with a suitable replacement. I had an auto antenna put on my Camry Wagon for just over $100. If you opt for OE, it will of course be much higher. Then - have your engine scoped, just to be sure. They can knock out the light if nothing's bad, but you'll want to know either way.

Happy to help.

SHISVX 02-24-2002 05:05 PM

it is a 92. the lock really doesn't freeze, it just stops working. i had it freeze on me because water got into-hot water, but this is different. thanks for answering-my alarm doesn't work either

huck369 02-24-2002 05:11 PM

Can't go aftermarket on the antenna, as the SVX's has a curved feed tube to fit in the limited space over the wheel well(already tried):(
OEM is the only thing that will work.

SHISVX 02-24-2002 05:16 PM

what is oem for the antenna?

huck369 02-24-2002 05:23 PM

Quote:

what is oem for the antenna?
O-Original
E-Equipment
M-Manufacturer

If you mean how much, I don't know, but look on www.svxparts.com and you can look it up.

SHISVX 02-24-2002 05:41 PM

can't i just cut off the wire that went through the antenna and put a plug in it?

Stevebsy 02-24-2002 06:12 PM

Whoa

All you need is the antenna mast portion. You don't have to buy the whole thing. I just replaced mine as it suffered a similar fate while driving through an ice storm.

Here is the link. It is item #4
$37.46 About 30 mins to replace it

http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...category=863-A

Beav 02-24-2002 09:04 PM

Re: Re: new problems on my new car

Quote:

Originally posted by wasions

Oh sure. You fell in love with it and just had to buy it. How many times have I heard that . (Believe me. I understand!)

Now you know how I ended up married - twice! ;)

Beav

Beav 02-24-2002 09:08 PM

Engine codes can be easy and they can be hard. The main thing to do is not let it go too long without checking, it can end up costing more money the longer you put it off.

Beav

huck369 02-25-2002 05:09 AM

Re: Whoa

Quote:

Originally posted by Stevebsy
All you need is the antenna mast portion. You don't have to buy the whole thing. I just replaced mine as it suffered a similar fate while driving through an ice storm.

Here is the link. It is item #4
$37.46 About 30 mins to replace it

http://www.svxparts.com/diag/?model=...category=863-A

Thanks Stevebsy! :D
I just ordered one. I had just unpluged mine on the 94, till I had some spare money, but $44 (which is including shipping) I can handle;)

Thanks again,

SHISVX 02-25-2002 11:15 AM

Thanks guys. I'm going to look in to the anetnna over the week. and Beav, does your 1st husband get jealous over the love you have for the svx? i have been in his position where i was 2nd favorite-:p :p :p :D

Stevebsy 02-25-2002 01:12 PM

Re: Re: Whoa

I'd think as long as you can hear the motor whirring the mast replacement should work.

Mine sorta went up and down, but not all the way either way..

The worst part is getting the little nut that holds it all together at the base of the antenna. You should use the special spanner tool, but I just used a punch and hammered on it (bad form I know...) I'll be getting a new nut one of these days, but it worked without causing too much damage to the nut.

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369

Thanks Stevebsy! :D
I just ordered one. I had just unpluged mine on the 94, till I had some spare money, but $44 (which is including shipping) I can handle;)

Thanks again,

Aredubjay 02-25-2002 02:40 PM

I used a golf spike tool to affix mine. I say "affix" because I only had to *install* it, after I removed the stationary black mast that the previous owner had replaced it with.

Also, I think a pair of snap ring pliers may work. That's what the "special tool" in the manuals looks like.

Beav 02-25-2002 04:16 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys. I'm going to look in to the anetnna over the week. and Beav, does your 1st husband get jealous over the love you have for the svx? i have been in his position where i was 2nd favorite-:p :p :p :D
Great! Now I have to deal with a gender crisis too. :rolleyes:

Beav