The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Australian parts questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58340)

BRADY 09-24-2011 04:13 AM

Australian parts questions

Hi guys,

Sorry I have been wuiet of late, life has been hectic.

I HAVE been driving my SVX daily and now it is crying for attention. I have begun my research and have hit a few walls.

First - Brakes - mine are horrible. Are DBA brakes still available for SVX?

I can only find RDA ones. And WHY SO EXPENSIVE? $650 for slotted type upgrade when other cars are only $200 for similar! Even the OEM rotors are over $300 each! WTF?

Second - Suspension parts.

Bushings - Do we HAVE to order them from Poland or can they be sourced locally?

Shocks/Springs - is Koni still the only option? Mine are leaking, creaking etc.

Third - Windscreen. Mine has thousands of fine pits in it and a few chips. Can a genuine windscreen be found in Australia?

I hope someone can assist in my enquiries!:confused

michael 09-24-2011 05:27 AM

Re: Australian parts questions

Koni has a lifetime warranty.

JDW-SVX 09-24-2011 04:58 PM

DBA front discs should still be available - the part number is DBA652. I purchased them for my grey SVX (that was some time ago though....!)

The rear discs cannot be sourced from DBA - I had to purchase OEM discs.

When I replaced the front shocks on my grey SVX, I purchased the OEM parts which were still available (but that was over 5 years ago......!)

As for the windscreen - I very much doubt that any are available in Australia (there aren't many left even in the USA!) You may want to call your local dealer and ask them to check the stock availability in Japan.

The worsening parts availability situation is one of the reasons why I do not drive my SVXs much (........I wonder why the batteries are always flat when I attempt to start them:D).

:D:D

Jason.

aust92pearl 09-24-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDW-SVX (Post 687201)
As for the windscreen - I very much doubt that any are available in Australia (there aren't many left even in the USA!) You may want to call your local dealer and ask them to check the stock availability in Japan.

Jason.

quite the opposite actually i rang up and got a quote for a windscreen just a few weeks ago , they said they can get one and it will be $500 installed
no idea if they are genuine or remakes though also no idea if they have new rubber parts

just checked dba they still have them listed

BRADY 09-24-2011 06:20 PM

Thanks Jason. I love my SVX and intend to keep it as my daily driver - what good is owning such a fine automobile if you can't enjoy it?

I know parts are scarce, but you only live once!

I will let you know how I go finding parts!

Mike

Dessertrunner 09-24-2011 07:40 PM

Do you have the phone number for the windscreen guy?
Tony

aust92pearl 09-24-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 687222)
Do you have the phone number for the windscreen guy?
Tony

no i dont sorry it was just a winscreens obriens dealer place down here called sapphire windscreens i think
i just went to the obriens website and emailed for a quote and that place rang back

flamestone 09-27-2011 05:17 PM

I figure we're all experiencing the same issues when it comes to parts.

I'm getting more and more experimental as I go...

I've just ordered tie rod ends off amazon.com. Will let you know how that goes.

I think I'm getting to the point where I want to buy a whole spare car to sit and pick from. But I already have 4 cars, so I have no idea where I'd store it...

93tzlegacy 09-27-2011 06:17 PM

as for struts, i got some coilovers made in taiwan, am very happy with them, little noisy compared to stock struts, but for the cost and adjustability , cant go wrong. if you need any further info shoot me a pm.

spleen_merchant 10-03-2011 05:59 PM

Obriens in Canberra had several non OEM windscreens in stock when I needed to replace my cracked windscreen last year. Other than that, I order parts from rockauto or elsewhere in the US, costs a quarter of what you would pay here and gets in here in about a tenth of the time. Subaru Australia is useless, they wanted $800+ for a throttle position sensor and they take months to deliver parts.

aust92pearl 10-04-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen_merchant (Post 687846)
Obriens in Canberra had several non OEM windscreens in stock when I needed to replace my cracked windscreen last year. Other than that, I order parts from rockauto or elsewhere in the US, costs a quarter of what you would pay here and gets in here in about a tenth of the time. Subaru Australia is useless, they wanted $800+ for a throttle position sensor and they take months to deliver parts.

im guessing that is where the obreins down here would have got a windsheild if i needed one , i got a heap of parts sent to nate and he boxed them up and sent them in one package to save on shipping and yeah to get stuff from over there works out about 40% cheaper even with the shipping :rolleyes:

t-belt... here $155
there $45-70
hg's each here $155
there $35
eng mounts here (i was too scared to ask
there $155

:lol::lol: