The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   tranny problems - just like everyone else (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31567)

DarknessofDeath 02-15-2006 05:38 PM

tranny problems - just like everyone else

i have the car shift pretty well with it being stock....had the 2-3 flare problem that doesn't seem to have a way to fix. i was told that this was brake band and have read recently that it is not . ~ i'm not concerned about the flaring since a few memebers have the problem as well.

with the shift kit from small car. i noticed that the shifting in general is harder than stock and has the power light flashing once in a while which seems to be normal. trying to do a trouble code, the car says that the car is fine.

now, i have taken the resistor off to ship to budfreak. the power light is always flashing after i start the car. the 16 flashes. but this is not what i am wondering about.

the last few days with and without the resistor on the car. i noticed that while driving on 3 or even D and dropping it to 3 the car would "brake" more particularly towards a speed in which the car would normally be in 4th gear.

i have read about the brake band enough times...have tried to adjust it to fix the flare- when it was suggested to be the culprit...but had pretty much no success with doing it. is this "braking" symptom brake band related or something else? if anybody knows. i will do a trouble code to see what pops up as well.

Earthworm 02-15-2006 06:02 PM

The "braking" effect is as a result of removing the resistor.

oab_au 02-15-2006 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
The "braking" effect is as a result of removing the resistor.

And the the brake band needs adjusting to fix the 2 to 3 flair.

Harvey.;)

Budfreak 02-15-2006 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
i have the car shift pretty well with it being stock....had the 2-3 flare problem that doesn't seem to have a way to fix. i was told that this was brake band and have read recently that it is not . ~ i'm not concerned about the flaring since a few memebers have the problem as well.

with the shift kit from small car. i noticed that the shifting in general is harder than stock and has the power light flashing once in a while which seems to be normal. trying to do a trouble code, the car says that the car is fine.

now, i have taken the resistor off to ship to budfreak. the power light is always flashing after i start the car. the 16 flashes. but this is not what i am wondering about.

the last few days with and without the resistor on the car. i noticed that while driving on 3 or even D and dropping it to 3 the car would "brake" more particularly towards a speed in which the car would normally be in 4th gear.

i have read about the brake band enough times...have tried to adjust it to fix the flare- when it was suggested to be the culprit...but had pretty much no success with doing it. is this "braking" symptom brake band related or something else? if anybody knows. i will do a trouble code to see what pops up as well.

I had the same problem with my old tranny. Without the resistor I had no engine braking in 3rd gear, But I also had no flair. Once I fixed the resistor I had engine braking in 3rd But it would flair. I did the brake band adjustment like 4 times and it didn't help one little bit no matter how I adjusted. It would even flair with only a half turn out on the adjuster:eek: Getting 4.44's fixed it:D

Nemesis Destiny 02-18-2006 08:11 AM

I have flare too. Been that way for over two years now. I was told that it means the trans. needs rebuilding (estimates vary wildly). I'm not even remotely interested in that, personally; I'll just fix it by switching to a manual. :P

DarknessofDeath 02-18-2006 11:46 AM

i thought as much....

SomethingElse 02-19-2006 07:27 AM

when you say flare are you talking about in the middle of a shift it seems to pop out of gear?

SomethingElse 02-19-2006 07:47 AM

nevermind i found it:p

Earthworm 02-20-2006 12:18 PM

http://hometown.aol.com/venommlss/images/os5.jpg

DarknessofDeath 02-20-2006 03:58 PM

update to this thing

i noticed that this "braking" symptom on "3" is only when the car is at normal driving temps. if i drive the car when i just start it up, then i wouldn't have this "braking"...

i kind of guess it might be the tranny fluid heating up kind of thing.// i dont have a tranny cooler or aux filter in yet.

i'm not crying about the symptoms on the car ~ i know that i have things to get installed/replace/fixed/rebuilt (whichever one it is). but i am slowly rebuilding the car to be as good of a condition as i can get it.

Earthworm 02-20-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarknessofDeath
i noticed that this "braking" symptom on "3" is only when the car is at normal driving temps. if i drive the car when i just start it up, then i wouldn't have this "braking"...

Yes, this has to do with the engine running in "closed loop" mode (it doesn't rely as much on sensors until the engine is warm) and tranny sensors allowing 4th gear and TC lockup.

DarknessofDeath 02-20-2006 04:26 PM

thanks for the info ~ david

SomethingElse 02-20-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm

What a great movie...:D

:mad: Stupid tranny goes into 4th when I tell it 3rd:mad: