The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ? For those with aftermarket soundsystems (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49387)

AyeJaye 03-07-2009 01:39 AM

? For those with aftermarket soundsystems

I just installed a new head unit and wired my car for a sub and amp. However, I'm not gettibg any power to my amp. All of my connections are solid and the fuses are all good, so the only thing I can think of is that my ground isn't good. Where is the best place to connect a ground wire?

1986nate 03-07-2009 02:04 AM

Re: ? For those with aftermarket soundsystems

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeJaye (Post 590804)
I just installed a new head unit and wired my car for a sub and amp. However, I'm not gettibg any power to my amp. All of my connections are solid and the fuses are all good, so the only thing I can think of is that my ground isn't good. Where is the best place to connect a ground wire?

A lot of work but I always ground back to the battery. A lot of car audio people say it is bad for different reasons but In every car I've had, it has eliminated dimming headlights even in an 81 olds with only a 65amp alternator(1000+watt system) and have never had problems with voltage noise caused by a supposed ground loop that they claim is what happens if you ground an amp back to the stereo.
Other wise, find a factory grounding spot or sand off all paint on a spot in the trunk and tap into the trunk-BE SURE TO BE AWARE OF ANY POSSIBLE WIRES AND USE A SHORT SCREW!!!

Edit: And just to note, I've grounded back to the battery in 5 separate cars and have a friend that competes in comps who also always grounds back to the battery. Capacitors and extra batteries are actually not a good idea as they put extra load on the alternator. Extra batteries only help when listening to stereo with the motor off when its parked. I have never seen capacitors help a stereo sytem in my life.

Tim 03-07-2009 06:23 AM

I unbolted my trunk latch and fed the wire into an eye connector, then reattached the bolt back to the trunk latch. Mine has worked fine for years.

+1 on not using a capacitor/2nd battery. If anything you should be upgrading the alternator wiring.

1986nate 03-07-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 590815)
I unbolted my trunk latch and fed the wire into an eye connector, then reattached the bolt back to the trunk latch. Mine has worked fine for years.

+1 on not using a capacitor/2nd battery. If anything you should be upgrading the alternator wiring.

Thats another good idea I forgot to mention-any existing bolt that already bolts to the car:)

Tim 03-07-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 590816)
Thats another good idea I forgot to mention-any existing bolt that already bolts to the car:)

The less drilling the better. :)

Earthworm 03-07-2009 06:52 AM

Where did you have your ground connected?

Can you confirm all your connections with a volt/ohm meter?

Are you getting a voltage on the signal wire going to the amp from the head unit?

AyeJaye 03-07-2009 08:41 AM

I checked it this morning with a basic test light, and I'm not getting any juice from the primary power lead at the amp, so I'm assuming it has to be the ground. I found a place under the flap that covers the gap between the back seat and the trunk floor, but apparently its not a solid ground. I have to work today, but I should have a chance after work to do some searching and find a better place to mount it.

redlightningsvx 03-07-2009 09:12 AM

I grounded mine on the back seat bolt.

AFBeefcake 03-07-2009 09:42 AM

Mine is grounded to the trunk latch mounting bolt, under the plastic trim piece that runs along the rear of the trunk floor.

Earthworm 03-07-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeJaye (Post 590825)
... I'm not getting any juice from the primary power lead at the amp, so I'm assuming it has to be the ground.

I must be reading this wrong...You're not getting +12V to your amp so the ground is bad??

Checklist:
- check for ~12v on cable going to the amp
- check ground cable for continuity to a separate ground
- check signal cable for 12v with head unit on

If these are all good perhaps there's a problem with the amp or a fuse is blown on the amp.

AyeJaye 03-07-2009 04:11 PM

I figured it out. Turns out the screw I originally used screwed into a plastic clip, which obviously ensured that I didn't get a solid ground. I made a new hole in a metal panel and now my trunk goes boom :) (it was dark when I did the original wiring job so I missed the plastic part the first time around)