The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest Region (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Subaru in the Family! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40349)

Shadabob 08-19-2007 10:49 AM

New Subaru in the Family!

Always wanted one, and I got this CHEAP!

http://a244.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...6c7ff12a4b.jpg

Hey, my SVX snuck into the pic :p
http://a683.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...088c901afa.jpg

Actually, the SVX goes into the shop this week hopefully. Humming sound coming from the rear...(sigh), and I want to make sure she is all ready for the Gorge Drive coming up:)

Unfortanetly my friend I inspired to get a '92 SVX traded his in, so he can't go. He finalized the paperwork at his bank for a Del Sol he bought...left the bank...and was smashed into, and it was a hit and run. He is okay (the car is not however), but I can see how crushed he is :( . Let this be a lesson, Karma will get anyone who trades and SVX in on a Honda :rolleyes: .

Crazy_pilot 08-19-2007 11:23 AM

Wow, it's in good shape! Congrats!:D

KVRXS 08-19-2007 01:06 PM

Too Cool

Erik,
Your BRAT looks great. I loved mine so much that I bought two. One for family use (great when my daughters were young, with a shell, of course), and the other for fun. We lived in the Sierras. Our backyard was a National Forest with miles of dirt roads. We also spent a year in Mexico living in Baja's mud and sand, during which time the ol' Sube never got stuck, though many of the larger and more powerful SUV's did.
These were the Subaru's that I had the most off-road fun with of the seven that I've owned and they all were used that way, except the SVX, of course. I'm sure that you will thoroughly enjoy your's. Can't wait to see it.

Mark:cool:

Shadabob 08-19-2007 03:51 PM

Yeah, I could have gotten the shell with it (plus another set of rims), but due the fact that I would probably never use the shell, I let him keep it. Actually that stuff is now up on the Portland Craigslist.

ensteele 08-19-2007 10:17 PM

It looks like it is in good shape. Congratulations! :)

KVRXS 08-20-2007 06:59 PM

Accessorize

Erik,
Hey, There were some really cool "extras" that were made for the BRAT. A brush guard (also made for the hatch and wagon} and more specificially for your car were a rollbar and tonneau cover. These last two could have been custom made, but wouldn't be really hard to reproduce.
The tubes on the rollbar were massive and had slots for driving lights. They were covered with a pad so that the passengers in the jump seats wouldn't hit their heads against bare metal.
The tonneau fit around the rollbars and attached to the bed with magnets and spring levers to keep it taut so that you wouldn't have to remove it in the rain. Actually, it held up even with several feet of snow, but that was a bit of a stretch, it was best to remove it during these times.
Anyways, all of this really made the BRAT stand out. I'll see if I can find a picture to show you. It shouldn't be that difficult to fabricate these as I really do think they were hand made. The brushguard; however, was from Subaru and is quite common as I've seen it on other Subarus over the years.
Oh, one more thing. They was a manual for that generation of Subarus that is available which really simplifies the repair process, "How to keep your Subaru Alive", written by the same author as of the VW book. I saw a copy at Powell's just the other day.
Have fun!!

Mark:)

Hocrest 08-20-2007 07:50 PM

Nice Brat!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KVRXS
Oh, one more thing. They was a manual for that generation of Subarus that is available which really simplifies the repair process, "How to keep your Subaru Alive", written by the same author as of the VW book. I saw a copy at Powell's just the other day.
Have fun!!

Mark:)

I have the .pdf of HTKYSA v.2
Send me a PM with your email address that can receive a large file...

Shadabob 08-20-2007 08:03 PM

Thanks for the info Mark...I am all over it!

I need to get that book! I just love how simple these things are, but a book is always a valuable resourse. The Tonneau Cover :cool: is by far the accessory I would most love to get for it. I have already started trolling E-bay :rolleyes: :o for some ideas/ good deals on stuff. Of course, I just bought the Brat, so the wife is right...I need to wait awhile.

I do have one mismatched tire on the rear...not to mention it doesnt have much life left to it. The other 3 are Bridgestone Potenzas. I was probably just gonna buy 2 Potenzas (thus taking the worst of the remaining 3 and making it my spare). OR does anyone have any suggestions of a good 13" tire that can hold up decently well to some simple mountain driving (not heavy off roading mind you, lol, nothing even close in a 13" for that)? Just would like the best protection against flats going down gravel roads.

Lift/ 6 lug Toyota conversion isnt in the budget...for now :D , but that might be something I might look into later.

Shadabob 08-20-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Nice Brat!!!

I have the .pdf of HTKYSA v.2
Send me a PM with your email address that can receive a large file...

HUH! PM Sent!

WestCoastSVX 08-20-2007 08:46 PM

The pictures don't work for me tonight, but sounds like you got a cool Brat!

I'm sure you know all about it, but if you ever feel like mods, there is no limit on how far you can go in making these into off road monsters. Just show up to any of the recent West Coast Subaru Shows and you'll see some good examples. The Ultimate Subaru Message Board (USMB) is also pretty much dominated by these guys.

Have fun!!!

Turbone 08-20-2007 10:42 PM

I'm leaving my 84 stock. I use it for hauling parts mostly. It still needs alot of work, but it wont quit running. And yes, there are some of us from USMB that have modded thier old school Soobs;)
Check out my Hatch at WCSS9.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YonP3_c-2Nc

Btw, thats a very nice Brat.