The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Real JDM Spoiler Installed. Pics inside. 56k Take a Hike. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50130)

Green1995SVX 05-04-2009 04:41 PM

Real JDM Spoiler Installed. Pics inside. 56k Take a Hike.

I ordered a real JDM spoiler last week from Japan. It arrived today, and I installed it. It was from a pearlie, so it was already painted the right color. The fitment was terrific, and it doesn't sag at all. I had purchased one of the Motorsport replicas many years ago for a previous svx, and it sagged badly and was of generally bad quality.

Wikedjuggalo 05-04-2009 04:51 PM

Re: Real JDM Spoiler Installed. Pics inside. 56k Take a Hike.

That is sexy.....

Mike621 05-04-2009 05:12 PM

Mike-

The spoiler compliments the other subtle changes nicely. :)

AyeJaye 05-04-2009 05:52 PM

I want your car...

Crazy_pilot 05-04-2009 06:18 PM

I still prefer the USDM spoiler.:p

Splinter 05-04-2009 06:22 PM

I still prefer no spoiler ;)

But very cool nonetheless

svxistentialist 05-04-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splinter (Post 600081)
I still prefer no spoiler ;)

But very cool nonetheless

I'm with Splinter. The SVX looks better with no rear spoiler.

Both the JDM and the US spoilers look good, both are cool, but they take away from the balance of the design. The rear of the SVX is its worst feature. The rear of the SVX is clumpy, frumpish, too heavy and just too darn fat-assed!:rolleyes: :eek: So the way to improve the look of that is not to add a spoiler that will make it look even bigger! :tard:

In terms of aerodynamics it's my contention both spoiler types were added to the car purely for cosmetic reasons, to suit the markets. They may indeed increase rear downforce at speed, but if so it will be at the expense of added drag, which is why US market SVXes get it hard to beat 140 mph, while continental cars have been shown doing much higher speeds.

A classic case of less is more.

;)

lhopp77 05-04-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 600080)
I still prefer the USDM spoiler.:p

I agree even though the JDM looks nice.

Lee

taylorbr 05-04-2009 07:13 PM

How was the install of this? I've been eying one, but wasn't sure if I'd have to modify my trunk to install it...

Green1995SVX 05-04-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylorbr (Post 600091)
How was the install of this? I've been eying one, but wasn't sure if I'd have to modify my trunk to install it...

It was simple and only took about 10 minutes to install. You just need to drill out the 2 rearmost spoiler holes on each side. They're visible when you look at the inside of the trunk. :)

Hondasucks 05-04-2009 10:00 PM

How much does one of those cost? I wonder if I could order one from work...

nsm484 05-05-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondasucks (Post 600126)
How much does one of those cost?

I would like the cost as well. To think... ordering a JDM Spoiler already paint matched to my Polo.... mmmmm... good thoughts :lol:

subbieatnz 05-05-2009 03:25 AM

I prefer the JDM verson

cartwheels 05-05-2009 03:55 AM

Oh my... your car is simply beautiful. I was playing Gran Turismo 2 today and was wondering why the SVX's all had funny looking spoilers... here's my answer. All I've got to say is WOW. I love it! Nice find.

BoxerFanatic 05-05-2009 08:33 AM

That is one slick looking pearlie.

the JDM spoiler looks more like the concept, and looks good.

The lines of the USDM spoiler are longer, and sleeker, though, and I kind of prefer it.

I don't dis-like a non-spoilered SVX, but it looks just a bit unfinished. Maybe if the rear deck had an upturn at the back, or something... but I like it with a spoiler better.

Not sure if I think the USDM spoiler looks good as is, or if it needs to be moved back about an inch or two, so the back cant from the deck lid and the spoiler fit, rather than stagger.

The back of the SVX is big. The car is kinda big all over, but it looks good, and carries it's aesthetic mass pretty well.

IF anything to change on the design, I would make the front fenders more like the rear, with a hard line flare, sort of like a Porsche 944's front fender. The curve is nice, but the front and rear fenders don't quite match each other. I might also do some sort of heat extraction vent, or something subtle to break up the big expanse of hood.