The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   rear brake line location (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36107)

rallyingrob 11-13-2006 11:56 AM

rear brake line location

i made a goof the other day
i had to replace both rear brake lines due to corrosion
i removed the rear seat cushion and spliced into the lines with proper fittings and double flare nuts between where the line protrudes from under the side panel trim to where they pass through the grommet to exit the cabin
no problem, didnt take long and BOTH BLEEDERS ACTUALLY CAME FREE !!! WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

in a non-abs car this would be mission accomplished.....HOWEVER.....

i didnt keep track of which line went to the left and right wheels!

D'OH !!!

i have tried to follow the lines from the abs block, under the MAF etc to the splitter block and then to the rear of the car, but keep losing track of which is left and right........

so.

can anyone tell me which is left and right?

is the line closest to the side trim panel for the left wheel?
or the one nearer the centre of the car?

logic would seem to indicate the leftish line for the left wheel, but is it.....?

rob

(sorry for being long-winded!!)

Trevor 11-13-2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rallyingrob
i made a goof the other day
i had to replace both rear brake lines due to corrosion
i removed the rear seat cushion and spliced into the lines with proper fittings and double flare nuts between where the line protrudes from under the side panel trim to where they pass through the grommet to exit the cabin
no problem, didnt take long and BOTH BLEEDERS ACTUALLY CAME FREE !!! WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

in a non-abs car this would be mission accomplished.....HOWEVER.....

i didnt keep track of which line went to the left and right wheels!

D'OH !!!

i have tried to follow the lines from the abs block, under the MAF etc to the splitter block and then to the rear of the car, but keep losing track of which is left and right........

so.

can anyone tell me which is left and right?

is the line closest to the side trim panel for the left wheel?
or the one nearer the centre of the car?

logic would seem to indicate the leftish line for the left wheel, but is it.....?

rob

(sorry for being long-winded!!)

Curly one Rob and what a dilemma. :confused:

How about disconnecting one line at the front, where you can identify left/right and then observe the result at your point of disconnection. ;)

You were not long winded. You posted an interesting problem and included some great humorous content. :)

Speedklix 11-13-2006 06:57 PM

take one line off at the ABS, and connect a spare line to the block to keep fluid in. Clean and loosen the res. cap and note the level on the res. (maybe mark it) have a friend compress the caliper the line goes to. If fluid shoots out, good! If the res fills... switch the lines and then bleed the whole system!

Speedklix 11-13-2006 07:02 PM

...if fluid shoots out the disconnected line that is!

rallyingrob 11-14-2006 02:55 PM

silly me
of course!!

how simple could it be?

lol

thanks for the kind words too trevor !!

anyone ever notice the calvin window stickers?
where the character pees on (take your pick, i've seen everything from the government to car brands to "my ex" )

i've even seen him peeing on subaru!! (clearly someone who is touched in the head!! lolol)

BUT

i think WE need pee on quattro stickers !!!
:) grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

lolol