The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   should i fix her or get another and keep her for parts ? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58687)

aust92pearl 11-12-2011 07:51 AM

should i fix her or get another and keep her for parts ?

as most of you know , my poor pearlie suffered some major injuries

ive been told of another pearlie that i can get for cheaper then it will cost to fix my one

should i buy it and keep mine for parts and to sell some parts and use the rest for future modifications ?
eg. re upholstering of seats , rigoli racing performance build , mock up of 5 speed to get fitment of clutch set up right , replacement of windscreen when i need it :rolleyes: etc
???

LastSVXintheChi 11-12-2011 09:51 AM

Re: should i fix her or get another and keep her for parts ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 690862)
as most of you know , my poor pearlie suffered some major injuries

ive been told of another pearlie that i can get for cheaper then it will cost to fix my one

should i buy it and keep mine for parts and to sell some parts and use the rest for future modifications ?
eg. re upholstering of seats , rigoli racing performance build , mock up of 5 speed to get fitment of clutch set up right , replacement of windscreen when i need it :rolleyes: etc
???

sounds to me like this is the way to go...sacrifice one to save another

Conn SVX 11-12-2011 12:49 PM

At some times i wish i had kept the one I sold and made a 4:44 out of it and moded the hell out of it too. No space no time and a wife that would not let me do it

flamestone 11-13-2011 02:06 AM

I'll go you halves. :)

I've been considering finding a spare car for a while now.

Or I could go the other way and finally give in and admit I don't have the time to finish restoring mine... and offer it up for sale instead...

aust92pearl 11-13-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamestone (Post 690909)
I'll go you halves. :)

I've been considering finding a spare car for a while now.

Or I could go the other way and finally give in and admit I don't have the time to finish restoring mine... and offer it up for sale instead...

havles ... in what lol ?

mine is restorable but it will cost me less to get this other one
then i can use mine for the things i wrote in my first post

flamestone 11-13-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 690911)
havles ... in what lol ?

Whatever you decide is a parts car.

Just keep in mind that whatever you do, you could recover some costs by flogging off parts to me. :)

In fact just noticed a spot of rust on sunroof, so now I need to make a repair/replace decision for that too.

aust92pearl 11-13-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamestone (Post 690924)
Whatever you decide is a parts car.

Just keep in mind that whatever you do, you could recover some costs by flogging off parts to me. :)

In fact just noticed a spot of rust on sunroof, so now I need to make a repair/replace decision for that too.

well im thinking i will use my one as the parts car :rolleyes:

what parts do you need ? :)

my sunroof has rust on it also :( that seams to be a common rusting spot for our aus spec cars

flamestone 11-13-2011 09:31 PM

Oh ok. I've only seen lots of rusted window-in-a-window dividers, and not sunroof. I guess that makes that decision easier... repair it is then... :)

Otherwise exhaust and steering rack are the big items.

aust92pearl 11-14-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamestone (Post 690944)
Oh ok. I've only seen lots of rusted window-in-a-window dividers, and not sunroof. I guess that makes that decision easier... repair it is then... :)

Otherwise exhaust and steering rack are the big items.

oh i see , i havent seen rusted dividers yet
and ive only seen my sunroof with rust but if yours has it too thats a little weird haha
my exhaust is good except for a bit of a dint in the rear box from the trailer (that i could see :rolleyes: )and the doughnut bit behind the main res leaks a tiny bit

and the steering rack was fine before the accident but im not sure of the codition of it at present , it took a big hit too the front as you can tell by the pictures on my other thread

aust92pearl 11-15-2011 05:01 AM

well i picked up another 92 pearlie today
shes got a couple of small things i would like to change
there are outward facing dints in the hood im guessing from tools being left on the engine and the hood being closed :tard:
so i will swap it for no.1's one

the middle light brake light bar is a little out of shape i have no idea why

the button on the centre console lid is missing and one of the vents is a different fake woodgrain:rolleyes:

and when cold there is a ticking sound (not unusual i know :rolleyes:)
and also a card in bike spoke sound and an exhaust rattle but all disappear when warm :confused:

i figure il use no.1 to mock up the liberty 5 speed then swap the whole drivetrain from no.1 into it (no.2 has 325000 kms no.1 only has 260000 and i only just had 4k worth of engine work done to it so i may as well )
and il use the higher mileage engine as a rigoli eng build block (when i pay off my bank loan ... evantually :lol:)

Countess 11-15-2011 09:42 AM

I also have the sunroof rust, just to throw my 2 cents worth in. After it rains, if I open the sunroof (even a couple of days later) water drops into the car and onto me. Quite fun when it is a 34 degree day and you are not expecting hot water all over your arm...

If you want to sell your radiator fans out of either... Let me know, I am need. :)

aust92pearl 11-15-2011 04:07 PM

oh ok , ive never had water drop on me , have you tried to clear the drainage lines ?
im still yet to work out exactly what i want to do :rolleyes:

aust92pearl 11-20-2011 05:24 PM

well i got the liberty i was going to use for the manual swap , at first i was told it was single range but upon arival i looked and it is dual range so i guess il just sell it all as parts and find a single range gearbox and hopefully after getting a box and pedal set etc il get the body straightened on the first pearlie with whatever money i have left :rolleyes:

Conn SVX 11-20-2011 07:02 PM

What is a Liberty ? Is that a JEEP. how is that tranny gona work?

aust92pearl 11-21-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 691427)
What is a Liberty ? Is that a JEEP. how is that tranny gona work?

haha , liberty is the aust name for the legacy :rolleyes:
apparently they changed it for here because we have a charity for vets called legacy and they didnt want to infringe on the name