The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What tires ??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57750)

Pierre-Olivier 07-03-2011 01:17 PM

What tires ???

Hello everybody, what tires do you recommend for my Subaru SVX ?

Thanks,
Pierre-Olivier from FRANCE.

Rodolfo 07-03-2011 01:58 PM

Re: What tires ???

Here are my current favorites which I have on a 300SL. I didn't know about these when I still had my SVX: (NB: the link is to a canadiandriver.com site, but this still works linking presumably to what must have purchased or replaced the original)

http://www.autos.ca/auto-product-rev...tus-v4-es-tire

On my SVX, I had an excellent experience with the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. They handled beautufully and still looked great when I sold the car with about 45-50K kms on the tires. I suppose if I still had the SVX, I'd stay with the Michelins, but these Ventus V4s look and feel great. Besides handling, wearing, and looking great, both tires are quieter than many others. BTW, my SVX was an AWD. Good luck and enjoy your SVX!

SVX_MY_BABY 07-05-2011 07:15 AM

Really hard question as everyone has favourites. I was doing a search for tires last fall and the Vredstein reviews were quite good. I'm running Nokian NRV and am quite pleased with them. They have been replaced with a newer model.

A long time ago I was advised by a top Subaru mechanic that the one thing you want to make sure you get is a rounded shoulder rather than a more squared shoulder on the tread. The suspension on Subarus will cause the square ones to wear too quickly in relation to the rounded style.

Crazy_pilot 07-05-2011 07:30 AM

All depends what you're looking for in a tire. Do you want grip, handling, smooth ride, low noise, long tread life, wet/dry traction... A few of these things are mutually exclusive (You get one at the exclusion of others).

For myself, I prefer performance, so I compromise on the other factors. The most grippy tires generally have poor comfort and noise levels and wear quickly, but it's a price I'm willing to pay. I'm currently running General Exclaim UHP's, which I have come to despise. Next up will probably be Dunlop Star Specs or Nitto NT05's.

Huskymaniac 07-05-2011 07:30 AM

For stock wheels, my latest research pointed to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires as the best option for all season. My criteria was a quiet ride, wet performance and at least decent snow performance in small accumulations. My Michelin Pilot Exaltos are noisy and it bugs me. I use Blizzaks in the dead of winter so I don't require great snow performance. Wet is what concerns me most.

Andrew P. 07-09-2011 04:53 AM

I'm currently running Yokohama S4's on my 92'.
So far I like them a lot.
They are quite good in the wet. So far this year, there has been plenty of rain here in western Washington to give them a workout.:D

SVX92-97 07-10-2011 11:25 AM

Toyo Proxes 4:cool:

Pierre-Olivier 09-28-2011 03:39 AM

O.K, thanks very much.

Landshark 09-28-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 680922)
For stock wheels, my latest research pointed to the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires as the best option for all season. My criteria was a quiet ride, wet performance and at least decent snow performance in small accumulations. My Michelin Pilot Exaltos are noisy and it bugs me. I use Blizzaks in the dead of winter so I don't require great snow performance. Wet is what concerns me most.

i'm having some Conti DWS's installed tomorrow on the EVO, as the original Advan slicks are burned off. :D i'll post a review soon, but from what i've read they are quiet, great in the rain/light snow, wear very good, and give reasonable performance (they are a "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tire). not too expensive, either. i'm also concerned about wet handling, because we seem to get more rain than Seattle around here in the past few years.

Blizzaks will go on in the next month or so.

immortal_suby 09-28-2011 03:45 PM

My michelin pilot sport all seasons have been awesome. Had michelin pilot exalto PE2 before this and they were excellent as well. I've always been a fan of the falken azenis sport - been through 3 sets of those, but they are a summer only tire and don't last very long. Every yokohama I've ever had wore out the shoulder to the belts before the tread was worn out.

And after I finished typing this I see it was from July......

Landshark 09-28-2011 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 687549)
My michelin pilot sport all seasons have been awesome. Had michelin pilot exalto PE2 before this and they were excellent as well. I've always been a fan of the falken azenis sport - been through 3 sets of those, but they are a summer only tire and don't lastery long. Every yokohama I've ever had wore out the shoulder to the belts before the tread was worn out.

Double post!

Landshark 09-28-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 687549)
My michelin pilot sport all seasons have been awesome. Had michelin pilot exalto PE2 before this and they were excellent as well. I've always been a fan of the falken azenis sport - been through 3 sets of those, but they are a summer only tire and don't last very long. Every yokohama I've ever had wore out the shoulder to the belts before the tread was worn out.

I didnt realize it was from July. :lol:

Stop pushing yore Michelin products!

....unless you gets me deal on snow tires. :)