The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The layoff is coming... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20804)

JLittell 08-19-2004 09:26 PM

The layoff is coming...

Yep! I have exactly 22 days left at my job... Been here 10+ years and it's time to move on to something else... (The 3 months of severance sure makes me fell just....great!!:mad:..) ... I was thinking of opening a daddy day care for adults??...

So anyone else out there fortunate to lose their job in the last year?? Yehaaa...Jerry Springer here thy come!!

shelfy 08-19-2004 09:31 PM

ugh! sorry to hear it, john. :(

JLittell 08-19-2004 09:35 PM

Really Jerry Spring show its' THAT bad! Thanks for felling sorry for me Ken!

ensteele 08-19-2004 09:40 PM

Gosh John, I am sorry to hear that. Hope something better comes along. :)

SubaSteevo 08-19-2004 09:41 PM

I may be hearing the same thing in the next month. 3+ years at a hell hole of a job, and they don't even want to work with me so that I can work while I'm in school. Shouldn't surprise me since they only kept me last year because they didn't have anyone to work Saturday, and most of the management barely graduated high school (if that...). Wal-Mart sucks :mad:

Their idea of school (true story):
A friend of mine was unable to make a "mandatory" meeting because it conflicted with one of his finals. He went to the store manager (high school dropout) and asked to be excused from attending. The manager said "Well that depends, is your job important to you?"

shelfy 08-19-2004 09:46 PM

listen to earl. i will have my 10 year anniversary in less than 3 weeks and i would be devastated if i lost my job. i know what your industry is, but not quite what you do. i might be able to help if i knew what your field of work is.

JLittell 08-19-2004 09:47 PM

Front Office Management in a sinking hotel...., I havn't done anything in the last 10 years... Really!

Peach 08-19-2004 09:50 PM

My wife recently lost her long time job, on her birthday. I'll tell you what I told her: Your young, your tough and your strong you'll be fine.... then I went outside to cry as the income fell 10 grand a year!! Hope she does'nt read this.:eek: On a serious note I'm sorry for your loss and hope you find something even better.:)

Chiketkd 08-19-2004 09:50 PM

I changed jobs and industries earlier this year...by choice though. Worked in executive recruitment for 4 years following college and I just felt unfulfilled as an Account Executive with MRI. Left to go into the Student Travel industry and haven't looked back. Make about 1/2 what I used to, but I'm ten times happier at the end of the day!!! :)

Good luck!

-Chike

shelfy 08-19-2004 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JLittell
Front Office Management in a sinking hotel...., I havn't done anything in the last 10 years... Really!
i've been busting my a$$ for the last ten years and my company couldn't function without me. i took the day off today to support my mother while closing on a mortgage for her first home. i got called six times. :(

shelfy 08-19-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Peach
My wife recently lost her long time job, on her birthday. I'll tell you what I told her: Your young, your tough and your strong you'll be fine.... then I went outside to cry as the income fell 10 grand a year!! Hope she does'nt read this.:eek: On a serious note I'm sorry for your loss and hope you find something even better.:)
my partner quit his decent paying job (without consulting me) to go back to school almost two years ago. he's much happier in his new field, but it's been very rough financially. thankfully, he graduates in 3 weeks and will be working full time again. :) i celebrated by buying a new car this week! :D

Mr. Pockets 08-19-2004 10:56 PM

Re: The layoff is coming...

Quote:

Originally posted by JLittell
So anyone else out there fortunate to lose their job in the last year??
Yep! All 50 of us at my old studio were laid off at once. We had all worked 7 days a week, 12-16 hours a day for two months straight to finish the damned game and they said, 'thanks - you're all fired!' :rolleyes:

Landed on my feet, though, and got another job right off. :) I wish you the same luck, man.

htyei 08-19-2004 11:23 PM

Where do you work now, Pockets?

Edit: Checked your profile, Volition....

On a side note I'll be Chicago for about a month in september working offsite QA at High Voltage.

Unfortunately, the svx stays in California.

I've wanted to break into video game developer for awhile now, but am languishing in QA.

NapaBavarian 08-20-2004 12:43 AM

I used to have a job, but then I said bye, I thought I was nice and gave my boss 6 months notice, but 4 months later he cut me down to about $200 of work a week, I thought $200 a day was bad, that's why I was quitting. I even told him that I could work a couple days a week for possibly up to 8 months if he couldn't find a replacement for me. He is now 4-6 weeks behind in work :D and I wont work 'cus he droped the ball... And I'm much happier, iven if it did mean that I can't buy a house anymore:mad: :rolleyes:

LarryIII 08-20-2004 04:28 AM

John,

Sorry to hear of your job loss. I don't know what you do or exactly where Lttleton is located in CO; but Amgen Pharmacueticals in Boulder, CO is quietly hiring peope for their new plant that we are constructing.
Good Luck.