The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   prices on fixing transfer clutch?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14987)

cxt2001 12-11-2003 03:46 PM

prices on fixing transfer clutch??

Ok, I have three questions. I've been having binding in my AWD pretty bad for sometime now. I talked to a service consultant and asked how much that transfer clutch is to fix and he said around 600 dollars! Now this guy has been pretty cool to me, and seems striaght with me, but is this a fare price?? And also he said that I could put the FWD fuse in, so I asked him if this was safe because of all the stuff I've heard about it. He sounded 100% with his assumption. But is it really safe?? And what other things could this problem be?

Thanks ya'll

Chris

Green1995SVX 12-11-2003 03:48 PM

Get a bottle of "Limited Slip Differential additive" and dump it into your transmission. The binding will go away.

Mike

96svxer 12-12-2003 02:24 PM

Same exact thing was happening to me. I reluctantly added a bottle of "limited slip differential additive" like Green1995SVX said to do, and presto it was gone. Works like a charm

FearWhat 12-12-2003 10:14 PM

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ada.htm

There is a link to a product.

96svxer 12-15-2003 06:12 AM

Ha, thats the exact same stuff I used, my uncle sells that stuff. Good quality oils.

cxt2001 12-15-2003 04:19 PM

amsoil...

I dont know about that Amsoil you recomended Fearwhat...I was looking at that page and it said " It is not for use in automatic transmissions or other applications requiring ATF." That doesnt sound good....

huck369 12-15-2003 05:40 PM

My tranny guy, said he can get the clutches for about $1.50 each, and the basket for around $20, said he'd put it all in new including the seloniod for $300

SubaSteevo 12-15-2003 05:59 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't that stuff supposed to be poured into the differential?

Green1995SVX 12-15-2003 09:29 PM

You are to pour it into your transmission, NOT the diff. It will work. Trust me. We did it at the subaru dealer where I worked (Kerven Subaru) to every 4eat car that came in with awd binding. It has a 100% success rate.

Mike

SVXgarcia 12-15-2003 10:16 PM

Whats AWD binding? Excuse the stupid question?
Just want to know cause my 4WD doesnt seem to be workng great! or maybe not working at all.

96svxer 12-16-2003 06:41 AM

I used the amsoil in my auto tranny, and it worked perfect. The guy that recommended that stuff to me knows more about oils then I ever care too. It's his life. AWD Binding is basically your car being stuck in all wheel drive all the time. When ever you go around corners your rear wheels "bind" (basically you will hear them cracking and popping) due to the less distance they have to turn. Basically sounds like your rear end is going to explode (The rear end on your car that is!)

It is differential fluid, it's designed to be poured in you differential, but it also unsticks the transfer plates in your auto tranny too. What cant it do?

Green1995SVX 12-16-2003 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 96svxer
I used the amsoil in my auto tranny, and it worked perfect. The guy that recommended that stuff to me knows more about oils then I ever care too. It's his life. AWD Binding is basically your car being stuck in all wheel drive all the time. When ever you go around corners your rear wheels "bind" (basically you will hear them cracking and popping) due to the less distance they have to turn. Basically sounds like your rear end is going to explode (The rear end on your car that is!)

It is differential fluid, it's designed to be poured in you differential, but it also unsticks the transfer plates in your auto tranny too. What cant it do?

I've actually got a bottle of it downstairs fixing us drinks right now!

Mike

huck369 12-16-2003 10:21 AM

It also causes the other clutches in you tranny to slip more,....generating more heat...leading to an earlier demise.....:eek:

But yep, it'll stop the binding........

Green1995SVX 12-16-2003 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
It also causes the other clutches in you tranny to slip more,....generating more heat...leading to an earlier demise.....:eek:

But yep, it'll stop the binding........

Huck-

They've been doing this at Kerven for years with no problems. I'm not sure where you're getting this data about it causing any shortened life.

Mike

huck369 12-16-2003 10:28 AM

Anything that causes more clutch slippage will shorten the life of the tranny, it's only common sense.
Slippage wears out the clutch friction disks faster, and generates more heat, which is an enemy to an auto tranny....these are just my thoughts on it, but consider myself fairly understanding of the principals involved.