The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   air in power steering system wont come out (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57873)

LastSVXintheChi 07-19-2011 11:03 AM

air in power steering system wont come out

ok so several months ago i had the power steering pump replaced and "one of the soft lines" as the mechanic put it...i was told that the air would work itself out eventually but after a few months now its still there....so yesterday me and my dad jacked it up and tried getting the air we took the cap off and turn the wheel lock to lock several times...we also just let it sit for a little bit with the engine running...at one point we thought we had got it all cus it got quiter and no bubbles were coming out, but 10 seconds later it was foaming up again...so we kept at it and nothing after an hour of idle and turning the wheel there is still air.

it loses fluid while i drive too it gets foamy and comes out the cap so i constantly have to have PS fluid to put in also...we noticed that when you first start it up it is fine for a few seconds then it starts bubbling up.

we thought that maybe it is pulling air from somewhere, but idk if thats possible or not....also i have read a lot about "the O ring" could that cause this? i need some help cus i dont know what it could be.

thanks

92snowmachine 07-19-2011 12:56 PM

Re: air in power steering system wont come out

the o ring is under the reservoir on top of the pump. common problem to go out and cause the symptoms you describe. with how cheap o rings are and how easy they are to replace you probably want to start with them. if the system is not sucking air in then you can try the ford trick to drill a hole in your cap (or spare cap) glue in a port and apply vacuum, this will pull the air out and if it doesn't hold vacuum you are sucking air in. also some reservoirs or replacement lines have filters in them that can cause fluid aeration when they get dirty.

Green1995SVX 07-19-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92snowmachine (Post 682233)
the o ring is under the reservoir on top of the pump. common problem to go out and cause the symptoms you describe. with how cheap o rings are and how easy they are to replace you probably want to start with them. if the system is not sucking air in then you can try the ford trick to drill a hole in your cap (or spare cap) glue in a port and apply vacuum, this will pull the air out and if it doesn't hold vacuum you are sucking air in. also some reservoirs or replacement lines have filters in them that can cause fluid aeration when they get dirty.

Correct. 21

LastSVXintheChi 07-19-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92snowmachine (Post 682233)

Thanks ill give that a shot and see what happens!

Conn SVX 07-19-2011 08:37 PM

I loosed one of the hoses and put a bucket under it .I just kept filling the pump as i turned the wheel L & R takes 2 people ,one to fill one to turn . took 2 quarts but worked

ensteele 07-19-2011 08:46 PM

It sounds like an O-ring. I have changed about 25 of them in other peoples cars and that is one of the biggest problems. The become hard and then allow air to get sucked into the system. I wouldn't drill any holes in caps yet. The How-To Documents have instructions on how to do the replacement. Hope it helps. Good luck. :)

LastSVXintheChi 08-18-2011 11:56 AM

so i finally got around to changing the O-ring and....IT WORKED!! :D no more whine or squeel or air!!

THANKS GUYS!

Earthworm 08-18-2011 01:03 PM

The stealership would have tried to sell you a new pump for sure.

LastSVXintheChi 08-18-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm (Post 684287)
The stealership would have tried to sell you a new pump for sure.

yeah no doubt about it!

thanks Dave!

ensteele 08-18-2011 07:57 PM

And you wonder whether we know what we are talking about. We have seen the O-Ring do this time after time and even worse stuff than that. :lol: :lol: