The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mounting Spoiler on SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5252)

ensteele 08-06-2002 03:27 PM

Mounting Spoiler on SVX

I am going to mount my spoiler on my Pearlie tomorrow, and had a couple of questions. If you look at the area where the bolts should come through, there seem to be cone shaped holes where the bolts might come through. Is this the mark for the hole to be drilled? I see three on each side, but the back 2 seem to be alined in the right area. What sized hole is needed? If you have done this, please let me know, or PM me with more information. Thanks in advance. I get more than a little nervous about drilling holes in my trunk lid - especially when they could be in the WRONG PLACE :eek:

mohrds 08-06-2002 03:35 PM

The dealer installed spoilers tell you to drill a 1/4" hole from the underside of the trunk through the top and then drill a 1/2" hole from the top back down.

Well, actually, the instructions give drill sizes in mm, but I approximated.

Be careful not to drill into your car's body if you have the lid closed to drill the 1/2". I placed a scrap of wood under the trunk when I lowered it in case the drill went through too far.

As for which holes, I can't tell you from memory and I'm a few miles from my car to go look.

Doug

ensteele 08-06-2002 03:41 PM

Thanks Doug. At least I know how big the holes that are in the wrong place will be!!!:eek: Maybe someone else will know. :) (waiting near the trunk with drill in hand)

Seraph 08-06-2002 04:11 PM

Earl, check on your red SVX. There are 6 markings on the lid. 3 on each side. Out of the three, 2 of them are the right holes. The red SVX should have the same markings.

Lwin

mohrds 08-06-2002 08:01 PM

OK, I went outside and looked.

The proper mounting holes are the front ones.

To confirm: the two closest to the hood while trunk lid is closed or the two closest to the bottom when trunk lid id open.

Happy drilling.

It took me a few tries to actually get the drill to touch the deck lid when I installed mine. Something in my arm, wouldn't let me touch the drill to my beautiful finish...

Doug

dromano 08-06-2002 09:10 PM

which holes????????????

I've done this twice. Neither of our 92's had a spoiler. The correct holes are the front and middle. Start with the small bit from the under side of the trunk lid. The ugly part is when the bit busts thru the top, relax, it gets covered by the spoiler.:p :p

David

ensteele 08-07-2002 12:02 AM

Went out and check the 93 and saw which holes they are. The front two like you said. Thanks for the information. I will let you know how things come out. :)

ensteele 08-07-2002 12:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Everything went great. No extra holes or anything else negative. Thanks for the replies on this topic. I am going to have it painted next so it matches the paint on the car. It isn't very noticeable now, but it needs to be painted anyway. :)

Green1995SVX 08-07-2002 12:36 PM

Looks great Earl!! Glad to see it turned out good for you :)

-Mike